U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 09:11 AM

14 posts, read 4,436 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how safe is the Observer Hwy/ Newark St area in Hoboken? Specifically the triangle between Monroe and Jackson by the Beer outlet? I was looking at a property there on a Saturday around 11am and the traffic seemed congested. Is it always like that? I also noticed there's a fire station 2 blocks away so I know I'll have to deal w sirens all the time if we end up there. In general, do you think that area is safe, do you think properties there will go up in value over time due to increased development in that area? TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 09:15 AM

648 posts, read 252,998 times
That's right about where Hoboken and Jersey City intersect. It's always pretty congested when I drive through there as well. Seems to be not too long of a walk to the PATH so I would think it's a good location, although there's not much to do in that immediate area otherwise.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:39 PM

375 posts, read 225,145 times
It's safe enough---All of Hoboken is about the same these days. Pretty safe, but it's a city, so keep your wits about you. Biggest issue is mail theft in the lobby of every building. And bike theft. Other stuff happens of course.

That area used to flood, just like most of Hoboken, but the new "resiliency parks" and the new flood pump are supposed to fix all that. We'll see. I have a couple of friends that live over there (a couple in Sky club, some in the Grove building, one on Adams/Newark) and they all like it fine.

We all have kids though, so we aren't exactly tearing it up at night and coming home at 4 am. The new Southwest park is being built now, so that should be good for property values. All of Hoboken has increased in price dramatically the last 5 years. I'm not sure what the future holds, but the property values in Hoboken are always: more expensive by the water, and less expensive the further from the water you go. Least expensive directly by the housing authority buildings on Jackson/5th.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:39 PM

Annikan, we also have a kid so we won't be out at 4am either. I'm looking at a new construction in 600 Newark St, the Hanoben. It's priced pretty high at $720/sqft. There are other properties nearby like at South Pointe (1st and Jackson) that's going for $617 sq ft which seems like a much better deal. Thoughts? Do you think the Hanoben's location is too congested for ease of parking? Parking enters through Monroe St right before it hits Newark. What do you do for schools? I've been trying the Hoboken superintendent office to get clarity on how admittance to different schools work but they haven't called me back. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingster100 View Post
Annikan, we also have a kid so we won't be out at 4am either. I'm looking at a new construction in 600 Newark St, the Hanoben. It's priced pretty high at $720/sqft. There are other properties nearby like at South Pointe (1st and Jackson) that's going for $617 sq ft which seems like a much better deal. Thoughts? Do you think the Hanoben's location is too congested for ease of parking? Parking enters through Monroe St right before it hits Newark. What do you do for schools? I've been trying the Hoboken superintendent office to get clarity on how admittance to different schools work but they haven't called me back. Thanks.
If you have a garage space, I think you'll get used to it. There have been a few times recently where my friends have complained on FB about road closures in the area near the fire station (roads that are typically open), but I don't know the details about that because we live uptown. But they've all been short term nuisances, like closed for a day, so I wouldn't base my living decision on that. Regarding the price/sq foot. That's all just so personal. New construction and higher end finishes always cost more, so you just have to figure out if it's worth it to you. I'm the type that is wowed by new finishes, but my husband is the type that doesn't like anything as much as money in his pocket, sooo......

How old is your kiddo? I can tell you a ton about schools if you tell me the age.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:41 PM

Thanks! My baby is only 11 months now. But we're looking to stay for at least elementary school. We will start putting him in part time ore school when he's closer to 3. What schools do you recommend d? Are public schools based on where you live? Any good ones? If not, what are some good alternatives? Thanks!

Old 03-31-2017, 06:56 PM

I'm going to write a disclaimer that the following are my personal opinion, coming from a big supporter of public school education, and as someone that works in public school education.

The public pre-school program in Hoboken is really great. We have been extremely pleased with the full day program this year that my oldest has experienced in pre-k3. I have a large group of mommy friends of all income levels, and only 1 that I know opted into a private preschool program if they got into the public program. Hoboken public pre-k entrance is just a lottery. I believe last year something like 700 applied and there were 545 seats. Enrollment is in the Spring before the school year, and the child has be to 3 by Sept something--not sure, but maybe Sept 1 or Sept 9. The school district tries to place families in the closest Public pre-school to their home. I have friends in almost every public pre-k location in town, and I haven't heard anything negative.

The private pre-schools will have interviews and admission processes the fall before the child turns 3. I can give you a little more information about a few of the privates. Hoboken Montessori is the only accredited Montessori in town. Apple Montessori is not an accredited Montessori school. Stevens Cooperative has a part time 3s program, and they are a progressive education school. You would want to familiarize yourself with what progressive education means. A few other places in town have part time 3s programs, but I know less about them. If you move to Hoboken, you'll want to join the FB and Yahoo Hoboken Mommies groups because they are a wealth of information about schools, nannies, classes, gear, etc.

For elementary, there are several choices. The public program used to be considered "bad" (largely low income, lower test scores), but is having a fairly dramatic shift. There is a very involved PTA and they now fundraise a lot. There are a lot of highly educated and dedicated parents and school staff that are working the change the image of Hoboken schools. Personally, I am 100% fine with our kids going to public through grade 5, and by the time the oldest is in grade 5, I believe the middle and HS will have improved dramatically as well.

There are 3 charter schools in town that are either k-6 or k-8. Hoboken Charter, Elysian, and Hola (dual language Spanish/English). I have heard good things about all three schools, but Elysian and Hola are both pretty tiny and it's a lottery system to get in and only a fraction of the people who apply get a spot.

Privates: Stevens Coop goes through grade 8, I believe. They also have a location in Newport JC. There are smaller religious affiliated schools--Mustard Seed, Hoboken Catholic, and All Saints. A new international school has just opened and is brand new--Tessa International--it is very small right now but their focus is on language. I believe they teach in French, Mandarin, and Spanish from 3 yr old and up. Tuition is quite expensive, so although it is new, I think it's one to watch. Hudson school is a private that is grades 5-12. Part of the public/charter/private school decision in Hoboken is just the right fit for your kid and your family. You will find supporters of every single school in town.

If you want an "elite" private school, some Hoboken residents sent their kids to Dwight-Englewood, which starts in Prek4 and goes through Grade 12. A few families I know have arranged a carpool.

Any other questions, just ask.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:26 AM

Thank you for the detailed response!

Old 04-10-2017, 04:11 AM

2 posts, read 639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post

Privates: Stevens Coop goes through grade 8, I believe. They also have a location in Newport JC. There are smaller religious affiliated schools--Mustard Seed, Hoboken Catholic, and All Saints. A new international school has just opened and is brand new--Tessa International--it is very small right now but their focus is on language. I believe they teach in French, Mandarin, and Spanish from 3 yr old and up. Tuition is quite expensive, so although it is new, I think it's one to watch. Hudson school is a private that is grades 5-12. Part of the public/charter/private school decision in Hoboken is just the right fit for your kid and your family. You will find supporters of every single school in town.

How difficult are the Hoboken private schools to gain admission to? I'm planning a move to the NYC area with a pre-schooler for a job in Hoboken and am debating between living in Hoboken and trying to get into one of these schools vs. living in Tribeca and reverse commuting. P.S. 234 seems to have capacity so Tribeca is quite workable, but between paying Tribeca rent and NYC income tax it would be more cost-effective to live in Hoboken and send our child to a private school - but if these schools are heavily oversubscribed then we'll just live in Manhattan.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:37 PM

295 posts, read 148,269 times
Have you been there? That area of Hoboken is a far cry from the main strip and really close to the train tracks. It is also next to Zephyr and 700 Grove which had bad flooding damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey