Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 07:18 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,310,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
I used to think it did. They were the gold standard for tomatoes in my book. Looked forward to them every summer. Then I moved to NC and had Carolina tomatoes. Wow! Best I've ever had! I think what it comes down to is "local tomatoes" are the best. When you can get tomatoes picked fresh from the vine from a local farmers market you're always going to win!
Locally grown tomatoes will always be the best. The tastiest varieties don't ship well.

The Return of a Lost Jersey Tomato - The New York Times

Vision, I hope you were joking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 07:52 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Locally grown tomatoes will always be the best. The tastiest varieties don't ship well.

...and tomatoes only reach their peak of flavor if they are left on the vine until just before eating them. At that point, they are close to impossible to ship due to their softness.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:10 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
...and tomatoes only reach their peak of flavor if they are left on the vine until just before eating them. At that point, they are close to impossible to ship due to their softness.
My favorite tomatoes are the ones that I grow out back.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
does the jersey tomato really live up to the hype?
As some people said, it may be because they are local.

But years ago, we went to visit my MIL in Florida, and I was excited because I figured we'd be able to get ripe tomatoes. She said that we could, but that they just didn't have the same taste as Jersey tomatoes. I figured it was the toxic waste in our soil.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:32 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My favorite tomatoes are the ones that I grow out back.
And, if you're lucky, you might get to taste some of the Cherokee Purple 'maters that I am going to grow this year!

Old 04-01-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
And, if you're lucky, you might get to taste some of the Cherokee Purple 'maters that I am going to grow this year!
I will remember that!

Old 04-02-2017, 08:35 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
Maybe it'd be less crowded in Warren County, but I don't know for sure. I like Marshall's Country Farm in Knowlton.

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-05-2017 at 05:53 AM..

Old 04-02-2017, 06:39 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've gone to four different Farms in South NJ around 15mi radius around Freehold areas last month when it was unseasonably warm.

Without naming them, all the highly rated ones are over-rated imo.

One of the highest rated one on Yelps, became a huge traffic nightmare. It was like the scene of a movie where a small town had just 2 main roads in and out filled with bumper to bumper traffic. Parking was on muddy patches of grass due to moisture on a warm day. Got there with the family and met with huge crowds from PA, NY, and NJ. When we got to Apple picking area, I stopped my family because I was checking out what the folks were taking back and told my wife let's turn around. My wife asks why. I said look at the crappy Apple's they are hauling back. My guess was right, the season for Apple picking was long past and people were picking crapples off the trees.

Walked over to their market and look at what goodies they have, met with huge crowds again. Like another Black Friday where people were casually fighting over left overs like Fresh pies and bakery goods. Just about everything there was overpriced imo. We managed to snatch some fresh hot Apple cider doughnuts which were good but not the best. NYC's has way better fancier doughnuts for the same price. Got some fruit pies and they turned out just ordinary compare to even supermarket pies. That's if you live by a Wegman's or have a decent neighborhood bakery. At the $13-17/pie, I think it's overpriced because farms are supposed to have farm prices not Wholefood's Market prices. I expect $8-10 for a Pie and should taste like home-made. They don't taste home made at all, the fruits insider tasted like any factory made pies except it's baked on premise and just taste fresher.

Went to another farm that day in the afternoon nearby, same thing almost a template copy. $15 for a small jar of honey? And it's not even raw, no thanks. Came out empty handed. One thing in common with these farms is that the visitors are very diverse. Some are nice and courteous while some are impatient and rude.

I think I'll stay close by next time and go to the one in Cranford.
South Jersey is not in a 15 mile radius of Freehold. Depending on the variety of apple, apple picking would be in late August, September, & October. In February or March it's possible to have kale coming on, if it's been a mildish winter.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:29 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
put me down for some of those 'maters as well!

Old 04-05-2017, 12:41 PM

175 posts, read 223,020 times
I'm all for staying active in the winter, but who goes apple picking in February....

Maybe you should stay in the concrete jungle next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: