Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2017, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,273 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

A friend of mine is moving to Parsippany, NJ in May and was looking for a rideshare to Danbury, CT 5 days a week until mid-August. She is moving to NJ because she has family here and wants to live with them. She is willing to contribute towards the gas and any other expense. Please do provide alternate suggestions if any.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 09:07 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,502,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchSha View Post
Hello All,

A friend of mine is moving to Parsippany, NJ in May and was looking for a rideshare to Danbury, CT 5 days a week until mid-August. She is moving to NJ because she has family here and wants to live with them. She is willing to contribute towards the gas and any other expense. Please do provide alternate suggestions if any.

Thanks!
Its an hour and a half without traffic and 87 miles each way.

I used to know someone who lived in Rockaway NJ and worked around Stamford, CT but good luck even finding anyone who is doing that each day.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:37 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,471,059 times
She needs a car I would think

Old 04-02-2017, 10:49 AM

5,767 posts, read 16,502,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
She needs a car I would think
A car and 3 to 4 hours on the road each day. Doable but it will wear on you.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:46 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,471,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
A car and 3 to 4 hours on the road each day. Doable but it will wear on you.
Yeah barely doable

Old 04-02-2017, 07:50 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,086,618 times
She needs to rent an apartment in Danbury for 3 months or get a room at one of those long stay hotels. This commute would be absurd. She would be spending just as much money on gas and tolls every day anyway.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:22 PM

175 posts, read 220,375 times
Please don't do that to yourself, trust me, your sanity will thank you later. 287 in NY and NJ during rush hour is bad enough, and that's before you even take the backup at the Tappan Zee and CT traffic into account. And on top of that, the two locations are around 90 miles apart (2 hours without traffic on a good day).

That aside, I'm not sure I understand the situation properly. You are currently living and working near Danbury, CT and you plan to move to Parsippany to be closer to family? And only plan to commute to Danbury for a few months, presumably because you will be looking for something closer in the meanwhile? If that's the case, I would recommend keeping your job in CT for the time being and doing interviews in NJ to line up a job before you move to Parsippany. It's still a drive even for an interview ,but I'd rather only have to do that once in a while vs twice every work day....

Old 04-05-2017, 01:29 PM

175 posts, read 220,375 times
Just reread your post: is this for a college internship? That would make more sense about cost considerations, but still not worth it in my opinion. The "hidden" costs of gas, tolls, and wear and tear on your car will quickly add up. Again, I would recommend applying for positions closer by Parsippany if renting housing near Danbury is not an option. That daily commute would be brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey