Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 12:52 PM

66 posts, read 85,204 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am considering buying an investment property in Asbury Park, NJ. I don't know too much about the area, but I did grow up in NJ nearby and have some knowledge. Can anyone provide insight on the good/bad areas and what they think of investing in Asbury Park generally? It looks like there are some good values south of Asbury Avenue and west of Main Street, but my (limited) understanding is that this is also the most troubled area. Thanks in advance for your insights and info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 07:24 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
All I can say is that up where the Amusements use to be and around the board walk has been very nicely re built.Never wrong the closer to the Ocean you are.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:48 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,876 times
It's a dangerous city, but very enjoyable near the boardwalk. An ocean property/condo would probably be the best as it's away from the ghetto. I would recommend Long Branch as an alternative.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:58 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,695,123 times
Having lived through the riots of the 70's and looking at the racial unrest of the country today I would not invest in Asbury Park.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:16 AM

Thanks everyone. I hear what you are saying. The cash flows of the property near the ocean are, as you can probably guess, nowhere near as good as in the less desirable areas. So the question is whether the trade-off is worth it.

Anyone out there who has invested in, or considering investing in, Asbury Park that can chime in?

Old 04-20-2017, 06:11 AM

41 posts, read 47,287 times
While I might agree AP as a whole still has some warts, there is absolutely no hotter beach town right now. Every bar and restaurant on Cookman and near the beach is absolutely packed every weekend (and this includes the off season). It is not unusual to wait a very long time for a table.

The Asbury Hotel opened last summer and is beautiful. More businesses have opened in the last year or so.

What AP has done in the last ten or so years is nothing short of remarkable considering how poor the boardwalk was just 10-15 years ago. The arrow is pointing way up for AP. If they can somehow work on the crime and poorer areas, the sky is the limit.

The better investment may be Ocean Grove as it is walking distance to the great parts of AP and doesn't have any crime at all (although certain areas of Neptune are dicey). There was a write up on nj.com recently about OG.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:47 AM

565 posts, read 722,532 times
I know a LOT of people in Hoboken that have been buying second homes in Asbury Park lately. Seems to be the new up and comer.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:29 AM

This is very interesting and useful - will check out Ocean Grove. Many thanks.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:31 AM

Annikan,

Agree that AP is an up and comer, by the boardwalk/restaurants. The real question here is what could happen in the not so desirable areas. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2017, 09:36 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boleex View Post
Annikan,

Agree that AP is an up and comer, by the boardwalk/restaurants. The real question here is what could happen in the not so desirable areas. Thanks!
yeah- think AP east of the tracks is good, but other side is terrible. Thinking prices are already on upswing in the trendy areas....Long Branch might be a better bet then. Friend just bought a 3BR house two blocks from the ocean for like 200K; lots of value potential there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey