Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:38 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union View Post
I know Fischfan13, I use to work in Double Trouble Park, 20 years ago . Along with the game farm that is run by the dept of corrections. I use to work for Juvinile Services.
I have nothing against Lacey but if our opinions are differnt then let it be and move on . You have your opinion and I have mine. I lived here a long time and I too know the area. Let it go . Thanks,
I just wish that you would get your facts straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacsmora View Post
My husband just looked at a home in South Toms River, NJ that we're interested in buying. However, we heard that not too long ago South Toms River was not a good area. Supposedly, they've since cleaned it up and it's now an up and coming area.

The home has a lot of potential. And supposedly South Toms River Elementary is a great school.

We currently live in NYC and are living beyond are means. We're looking for something affordable but don't really know anything about Jersey.

Can anyone tell us anything about South Toms River, NJ??? Is it worth the move??
i am aslo thinking about moving to south tomsriver and need to know why popele are saying to not move there what is so bad about this town crime gangs what someone please tell me i am a single mom of three and need to know asap thanks

Old 02-17-2008, 02:55 PM

316 posts, read 1,248,853 times
Default what high school is near the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacsmora View Post
My husband just looked at a home in South Toms River, NJ that we're interested in buying. However, we heard that not too long ago South Toms River was not a good area. Supposedly, they've since cleaned it up and it's now an up and coming area.

The home has a lot of potential. And supposedly South Toms River Elementary is a great school.

We currently live in NYC and are living beyond are means. We're looking for something affordable but don't really know anything about Jersey.

Can anyone tell us anything about South Toms River, NJ??? Is it worth the move??
My brother lives in beachwood I just told him he will be moving before my nieces go to Tom River South high school. My friends daughter goes there and she said its awful she just moved there from monroe. She has another year to go. Don't get me wrong the town is great but the high school sucks . The Elementry is fine no problems there good school.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:17 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,516,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
If you consider Leukemia clusters a good time, then Toms River is the place for you!

I honestly dont' know whats worse, the possibilty of getting leukemia from the polluted water or the Chernobyl-in-the-making Nuclear Power plant that lies south of the town. Oldest Nuclear power plant in the country. Corzine has vowed to shut the thing down in a couple of years though.
Well done. The most amazing thing about TR cancer situation is that I never heard anybody question the power plant, it was only about some groundwater situation from a local company. Little did they know that nuclear power plants contaminate the local groundwater. What a surprise.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:56 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Well done. The most amazing thing about TR cancer situation is that I never heard anybody question the power plant, it was only about some groundwater situation from a local company. Little did they know that nuclear power plants contaminate the local groundwater. What a surprise.
Oh brother, here we go again...
The Power Plant is in Lacey Township, not Toms River, and NO ONE is dropping dead or getting cancer because of the power plant.

As for South Toms River, there are MUCH better places to go to in the immediate area.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:57 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoy View Post
If you believe this you are very misinformed. ciba was held responsible to some degree. they settled with the family's in 2002. It was not just a case of bad luck. That is being very naive.

here is a link for some info on this:

Toms River Cancer Cluster Settlement

Chemical companies and families affected by cancer reach agreement

Ciba-Geigy Corporation
From 1952-1990, the Ciba-Geigy Corporation (now Ciba Specialty Chemicals) operated a dye manufacturing plant in Toms River. Waste products from the plant were either stored in some 69,000 drums or were treated and pumped through a pipeline to the Atlantic Ocean. In 1980, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection required Ciba-Geigy to begin groundwater monitoring and drum removal at the plant site. In 1983, the Toms River site was placed on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Superfund list. The EPA discovered that the waste on the site was leaching into the groundwater below. In 1989 it ordered Ciba-Geigy to begin cleaning up the site and the groundwater.
Union Carbide Corporation
Owners of the Reich Farm had leased part of the property in 1971 to an independent waste hauler. In December of that year the owners discovered 4,500 waste drums bearing Union Carbide labels had been dumped on the land, and waste products had been poured into trenches. From 1972-1974 Union Carbide removed drums, trench waste, and contaminated soil. Unfortunately, the land lies above an aquifer which was the main source of drinking water for the entire township then. In 1974 the Dover Township Board of Health closed 148 private wells near the Reich Farm after finding contamination, and the homes were permanently connected to an alternate water supply. Residents in the area believe that the local water company, Toms River Water Company (now United Water Toms River), mishandled the water supply when it became evident that it was contaminated, and did not treat the water adequately to make it safe.
Did you take the time to read the link you provided? It says it right there in black and white "Union Carbide, Ciba Specialty Chemicals and United Water Toms River Without acknowledging liability, agreed to multi million dollar settlement with 69 familys whose children were diagnosed with cancer"

If your suggesting that settling a lawsuit in which no liability is acknowledged is being "held responible to some degree" your the one that is misinformed. Many people settle because it is the economical thing to do. They settled for around 13 million. To fight it it may have cost them 30 million.

Please google......Findings Vs feelings...ACSH > Publications > Please read the related links on the bottom of the page "Cancer clusters look less manmade" and "How to terrify parents about cancer clusters"

There is more than one side to a story folks.

Last edited by Stone28; 02-18-2008 at 07:18 AM..

Old 11-21-2008, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 5,974 times
Default Wrong Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by abejita View Post
Yes, the Tom's River case was the basis for that movie A Civil Action, starring John Travolta. And maybe things have changed, but that is always the first thing I think of when I hear Tom's River. :?

A Civil Action was based on events involving the town of Woburn, Massachusetts ...the plaintiff's attorney Schlictmann who Travolta portays even wrote a book about it prior to the Movie.

As far as Nuclear groundwaste in Ocean County ...research the 1960's where a missle Silo in or around Lakehurst Naval had a meltdown ...that might have seeped into the groundwater since the water flows deep underground and from west to east here in Toms River.

But as far as Lacey and the Power Plant they were never held responsible for anything...nor were Ciba or Union Carbide, they simply settled for economical reasons. If it was going to cost you 10's of millions to fight but only 15 million to make it go away ...I'm sure you would choose the latter.

Is it possible that they are responsible ...yes possible but legally its settled and done and they've washed their hands of any legal ramifications based on their settlement.

Since which it has become a Supersite and the existing company still pays NJ in efforts to clean up the area. But all in all no evidence EVER legally linked them to our high rates of cancer....

Old 11-21-2008, 10:49 AM

42 posts, read 175,202 times
i've been living in STR for about ten years now and i think it's a fine place to live. never problems with crime, my kids go to STR elementary great school w/excellent teachers.
most of the houses are late 50's early 60's style ranches, nothing great to look at but good value. there is also a new park being built on double trouble road with tennis/basketball courts and ball fields.
newer houses are being built in nearby Beachwood which is also a fine area.
STR does get a bad rap because not much new development is going on. but like i said i've had no problems living there.
one thing i do like about the town is that for some reason when bad storms hit we almost never lose power.
If newer overpriced housing and congested overcrowded areas are what you're looking for then the North side is for you.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,877 times
People from different towns give S.T.R a bad name. I've lived in S.T.R my whole life 23year and my father lived there since the 60's. Its a quite town but it has its excitement like any town. The schools have a great teacher. The town has things to do or close enough to place to go. We are selling our home not cause of the area but the cost of living in N.J is to much. We're selling 3bd, 1 bath, nice backyard and garage, romodel kitchen, hardwood floor in living room. Need some work but what house from 50-60's doesnt. Ask 159,000

Old 01-07-2009, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,839 times
Get you facts together people. The cancer problem was in Toms River not South Toms River, They found out that Ciba-Geigy was the culprit and just 1 well was affected and that was closed down years ago and that well did not feed south toms river. As for the school system the STR Elementary school is one of the best elementary schools in Ocean County. I have lived in STR for nearly 30 years and will never move out it is one of the safest places to live in this area. the only trouble with this town is the homes are very old and need work. Take it from a long time resident not a realtor. South Toms River is a great place to live and raise children.
PS
Again get your facts straight! Toms River South is in Toms River not South Toms River. and you are judging a whole school system on 1 displaced teenager....Not to bright in my opinion

Last edited by Gymkeeper; 01-07-2009 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: Added Info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey