Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:05 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I totally agree, let all the rejects leave.
I'm with you.

If you can't afford it, you definitely don't belong here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 09:06 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
If that's addressed to me, I don't live in Florida. I did, however, go to college there and live there for a while. And for what it's worth, Florida's unemployment rate is only 1% higher than New Jersey's. I don't see it as being much better here or much worse there. And hey, maybe you could actually get a good deal on a place in Florida. Here in Jersey, every house in a nice town is going for a half-million easy even in the recession. Talk about kicking people while they're down.

I'm not the type of person to advocate the idea that moving to Florida will solve every disgruntled New Jersey resident's problems. But if someone finds a decent job down there, I'd be the first to tell them to jump on it and move. Like I said, maybe they could even find a nice house or condo to buy at a fair price.
... I was referring to the OP without noticing the old age of the thread.

Florida has the opposite situation that people never realize because they're stuck in NJ with NJ problems.
Florida was home to the highest foreclosure rate in the nation (Cape Coral-Fort Myers) Cape-Fort Myers foreclosures rate highest in the nation » Naples Daily News
And with all that happening, people who have bought homes in Florida for say 600K struggle, selling their home for probably 350K losing thousands and thousands of dollars.
People look for an easy way out, when the easy way out is another trap. I'd stay where ever I am in a recession, but that's just me. Wait it out until the time is right to make any decisions is key.

People are scurrying out of NJ because of the present recession.. haha, I don't think anybodies going anywhere where the economy is any better than NJ.
They're just bringing struggles to struggle.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:10 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpoller View Post
I am now more comfortable in my 600k 7000 sq ft castle in bum****, nowhere on 3 acres then I was in my box house in NJ were I was raped for taxes.
I would rather live in a 1500sqft log cabin in NH than any cheaply built mcmansion ANYWHERE in the Midwest. You COULDN'T PAY ME to move back to the lower Midwest specifically. That area has a very low quality of life. You can have that mcmansion lifestyle.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,188 times
Moved to Florida from NJ a year ago. Miss the family and food but aside from that I am pretty happy with the change. I relocated to Winter Park, which isn't bad. I say try it and if it's not for you, move back. At least you will know and don't have to wonder, which may be worth it for some.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:02 PM

118 posts, read 316,385 times
We are trying to adapt and enjoy life in NJ after moving here last year. I will say the people we meet are pretty nice but the congestion and the poor services are making it hard. We live in Montclair and just walking down the side walk is treacherous. With all the tax revenues I'm surprised that the sidewalk and library are so poor. We are also disappointed with the public school. It is all relative I guess but our kids used to do way more challenging work when we lived in MN in a lower grade. We'll try another year because there are some great things about NJ also.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:26 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_MTB View Post
We are trying to adapt and enjoy life in NJ after moving here last year. I will say the people we meet are pretty nice but the congestion and the poor services are making it hard. We live in Montclair and just walking down the side walk is treacherous. With all the tax revenues I'm surprised that the sidewalk and library are so poor. We are also disappointed with the public school. It is all relative I guess but our kids used to do way more challenging work when we lived in MN in a lower grade. We'll try another year because there are some great things about NJ also.
NJ/NY has jobs...mostly why people are here...weather is horrible, roads are worse, taxes are highest, corruption is a local joke...but, again there are jobs here. I lived in several cities outside the New York area and have visited most major cities from Anchorage to Miami. There are many, many more cities that offer a better quality of life and nicer lifestyle. However, it always comes back to jobs. Places I have spent time in that were really great include: Scottsdale, Denver, and Irvine/Newport.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:52 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
Really, really having trouble standing it here myself. Just went through a major break up, possibly in a dead end corporate job, don't like the high cost of living and high transit expenses -- but worried if I move that I won't find a job.

So I guess my question is, can it be wise to bolt out of here? Has anybody done this? I have a very reasonable amount of savings but don't want to waste it either.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:57 PM

127 posts, read 261,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Really, really having trouble standing it here myself. Just went through a major break up, possibly in a dead end corporate job, don't like the high cost of living and high transit expenses -- but worried if I move that I won't find a job.

So I guess my question is, can it be wise to bolt out of here? Has anybody done this? I have a very reasonable amount of savings but don't want to waste it either.

MR FLAKES!!!!! If you don't know who this is now, you'll know when I skin your sorry good-for-nothin hide. spending work hours whittling away on this forum on my dime!!!!!!! I wanna see you in conference room 6B IMMEDIATELY and I'll give you a piece of my dead-end corporate mind. Then we'll see how you'll feel if you can afford Jersey!!!!

Sincerely,

Mr. G. Hennepin Bensalem,
Trinitech Software Associates.
Your boss

Last edited by Bass_o_matic 76; 07-31-2012 at 01:07 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 09:38 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post

Where would you go then I will tell you if it is wise?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:19 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Where would you go then I will tell you if it is wise?
I used to live in LA so I would highly consider that but other options include anywhere in the sunbelt that is car friendly and has a decent economy. LA's economy is in the crapper so it's risky. I'm really sick of public transit costs. It's insane here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey