U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:55 AM

687 posts, read 2,186,680 times
Quote:
With the monies that some of these schools bring in with their sports programs it can be picked up by the school.
I would say testing once per month during the sports season.

Taking performance enhancing drugs is cheating.
I agree. Having been a high school teacher and coach, I don't think once monthly testing is unreasonable. Cheating is cheating in my book. And steroid use is not uncommon among high school boys, and many, many more have, what I consider, an unhealthy fascination with them. I used to do an expository research paper with my juniors on which they could write about any topic they were interested. The most commonly recurring topic among boys? Steroids. The most commonly recurring topic among the girls? Tanning.

And this goes for all sports--not just football, wrestling, etc.... I coached tennis, and I had a couple really jacked boys on my team at one point. I don't think either of them were using, but it could happen.

Edited to add: And if I were a coach in a sport where usage is more common, and say, my team's big rival had a bunch of players who were juicing and had an unfair advantage because of this, I would be mighty p*ssed.

Last edited by juliann1977; 03-08-2008 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 09:02 AM

2,738 posts, read 6,235,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
just curious - who here who doesn't agree with testing have children? it seems there's a split - those with children agree, those without, don't.

i have to say, after having kids, my views on a lot of things have changed drastically.
So you're saying you don't trust your kids?

Old 03-08-2008, 09:56 AM

11,608 posts, read 20,531,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
So you're saying you don't trust your kids?
that's a mighty big leap. i do believe teenagers, although having real good intentions, make some pretty stupid mistakes and have an air of invincibility.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
that's a mighty big leap. i do believe teenagers, although having real good intentions, make some pretty stupid mistakes and have an air of invincibility.
By testing, you're assuming they are taking steroids. Why test them if you didn't think they were taking steroids?

Because you don't trust them. Its really not a big leap. I prefer to believe most people will do the right thing.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:23 AM

230 posts, read 427,875 times
Default Additional Info

I tried to find a source(s) to support what I heard on the news regarding steroid use. What I found out in my research was that former Governor Codey signed an executive order(order # 72) back on December 2005...for allowing of steroid testing in high school althetics if found suspicous. Codey apparantly was a volunteer baseball coach and felt the need to enforce and if a althete was found with a positive result for anabolic steroids, they then would loose playing eligibility for 1year. New Jersey was the very first state to enforce this. Now what I heard a couple of days ago was NJ now wants to consider beefing up it's current steriod testing to include additional type of steriods(other than just anabolic), and broaden certain specifics such as which sports and penalties etc. Right now the main problem seems to be costs of testing...who pays and how much. Tests cost anywhere from $150-$300 and in the past, the state and the NJSIAA each gave $50,000 towards costs. It seems that since a recent incident at Hanover Park High School involving a football coach selling steroids to a 17yr. player(s), it has again come under fire. There are a couple of sites you can check out if you would like to read in more detail:
1) USAToday.com.......type in NJ steroids in search to read article

2) BaltimoreSun.com.....type in NJ steroids in search to read article written on March 8, 2008 entitled; NJ Considers Beefed Up Steroid Testing (this is what I heard on TV News several days ago).

Last edited by BaskingRidgeMom; 03-08-2008 at 10:35 AM..

Old 03-08-2008, 10:44 AM

687 posts, read 2,186,680 times
Quote:
I tried to find a source(s) to support what I heard on the news regarding steroid use. What I found out in my research was that former Governor Codey signed an executive order(order # 72) back on December 2005...for allowing of steroid testing in high school althetics if found suspicous.
This is where testing gets tricky. Unless you test all athletes across the board, the district opens itself up for all kinds of trouble. Say a coach suspects a player is using, the kid is tested, and the results are negative. The kid's parents are furious that their innocent kid is singled out, so they sue the coach and the district.

In theory, it makes sense to simply test those kids who seem like they are using. But I think that's an absolute mess waiting to happen, given our lawsuit-ridden culture.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:57 AM

11,608 posts, read 20,531,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
By testing, you're assuming they are taking steroids. Why test them if you didn't think they were taking steroids?

Because you don't trust them. Its really not a big leap. I prefer to believe most people will do the right thing.

sorry, i see it differently. i'd rather err on the side of caution rather than finding them in a bathroom with a needle in their arm.

when you have kids, you'll understand. i hate to toss that line out, but really, it's true.

btw - my kids are 9. this isn't a fight i have to fight yet.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:05 AM
b75

951 posts, read 2,236,385 times
I can understand why athletes could be tested for steroids as it gives them an unfair playing advantage as well as in making the team over the other kids. So I'm willing to give maybe an allowance here, but I strongly disagreeing with other forms of drug/alcohol testing. 1. It is a gross invasion of privacy, which I abhor. 2. On the whole many kids experiment and by getting them in trouble it is setting them up for an actual problem in the future, instead of just letting things run their course. Good God if I had gotten tested in high school I would've went from being an Honors Student who went to college on an academic scholarship to God knows what. Drug testing will NOT dissuade kids from experimenting, it is just going to help them get better at deception or potentially have good kids wind up with futures that are now impeded. If a kid has a drug or alcohol problem chances are there will be enough signs for an appropriate intervention via a guidance counselor, school nurse, social worker, parent etc. And if none of those people are not equipped to notice the signs of a child with an obvious drug problem, then we need to go about making some other changes.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
sorry, i see it differently. i'd rather err on the side of caution rather than finding them in a bathroom with a needle in their arm.
That "caution" is trust, imho, or atleast the lack of it. You wouldn't trust your kids enough that you'd want them tested, finding them in a sport doctor's office with a needle in their arm instead?

I just don't understand that mentality.

Quote:
when you have kids, you'll understand. i hate to toss that line out, but really, it's true.

btw - my kids are 9. this isn't a fight i have to fight yet.
I doubt it I'll change my mind when I have kids. I wrestled for 9 years, played some lacrosse, my brother lacrosse and football. Neither one of us ever took steroids, and when mandatory testing came up when we were in school, my dad got pretty pissed off. He knew his kids wouldn't do that, we knew all about steroids and their effects (not the stories they tell you in health class, but the actual facts, we had a book), and trusted us that we would make the right decision. We did. Not much more to it really.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:26 AM

5,306 posts, read 9,035,484 times
I personally think that this is also very obvious situation to deal with. How many people have done steroids? I have and let me tell you, you damn well know when someone is on them. I was so superior human and strong it was so obvious, when you have real roids you dont need drug testing its too damn obvious. You see my bench press went up from 80 lbs then two weeks on anavar and it was real , blew my mind. I lifted 140 like nothing only after two weeks!!! When a house is only worth its foundation my bones could not handle the load and I broke my back!!! ITs a dangerous drug, its damn well cheating but mentally it unbelievable!!! Honestly could cure depression better than any moa inhibitor!! I like them too much!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey