U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:10 PM

230 posts, read 592,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I personally think that this is also very obvious situation to deal with. How many people have done steroids? I have and let me tell you, you damn well know when someone is on them. I was so superior human and strong it was so obvious, when you have real roids you dont need drug testing its too damn obvious. You see my bench press went up from 80 lbs then two weeks on anavar and it was real , blew my mind. I lifted 140 like nothing only after two weeks!!! When a house is only worth its foundation my bones could not handle the load and I broke my back!!! ITs a dangerous drug, its damn well cheating but mentally it unbelievable!!! Honestly could cure depression better than any moa inhibitor!! I like them too much!!
Thanks for sharing your experience and being so honest. I think it helps out those who don't have any experience with steroids. I dated a guy about 4 or 5 yrs. ago.. dare I say much younger than I...he was only 26 almost 27...who I know had to have done steroids. Aside from his incredibe body, was his definite change in mood and temper. But heck I didn't really care at the time...he looked great and I knew I wasn't marrying him! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 01:06 PM

1,393 posts, read 6,888,238 times
I'd like to see the students settle this themselves. All they have to do is refuse to join the team or play as long as the testing continues. That'll put a stop to this kind of intrusive but 'it's for the good of the children" nonsense.

I know all of us on the cross country team when I was in HS would have hung up our spikes untill that sort off foolishness got stopped.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:23 PM

2,736 posts, read 8,526,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
I'd like to see the students settle this themselves. All they have to do is refuse to join the team or play as long as the testing continues. That'll put a stop to this kind of intrusive but 'it's for the good of the children" nonsense.

I know all of us on the cross country team when I was in HS would have hung up our spikes untill that sort off foolishness got stopped.
Reminds me of a recent article in the Hunterdon Democrat. The students have been given a 30 minute lunch period now, and to protest, some students got together and paid with pennies. They were originally given detention as punishment, but apparently they let the parents decide the punishment later. Some parents apparently decided detention was the right choice.

I would have taken the kids out for ice cream to celebrate and congratulate them for a job well done. In other words, I agree and hope they would refuse to join the team.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:33 PM

230 posts, read 592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Reminds me of a recent article in the Hunterdon Democrat. The students have been given a 30 minute lunch period now, and to protest, some students got together and paid with pennies. They were originally given detention as punishment, but apparently they let the parents decide the punishment later. Some parents apparently decided detention was the right choice.

I would have taken the kids out for ice cream to celebrate and congratulate them for a job well done. In other words, I agree and hope they would refuse to join the team.
Yes, this world needs more free thinkers. My mother always taught me to never be afraid to question authority..however respectfully...and now I teach my 10yr. old to do the same and not be be intimidated...be a leader..not a follower. Even if I may not always agree..I respect someones courage and backbone that speaks their own mind!

Old 03-08-2008, 02:44 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,852,114 times
Quote:
That "caution" is trust, imho, or atleast the lack of it. You wouldn't trust your kids enough that you'd want them tested, finding them in a sport doctor's office with a needle in their arm instead?

I just don't understand that mentality.

I doubt it I'll change my mind when I have kids. I wrestled for 9 years, played some lacrosse, my brother lacrosse and football. Neither one of us ever took steroids, and when mandatory testing came up when we were in school, my dad got pretty pissed off. He knew his kids wouldn't do that, we knew all about steroids and their effects (not the stories they tell you in health class, but the actual facts, we had a book), and trusted us that we would make the right decision. We did. Not much more to it really.
*shrug*. this isn't on my hot list. if a prerequisite for playing on the team is a steroid test, then whatever. i could care less (i had to take a drug test for a job, what's the biggie, really). i don't do steroids, i don't have a problem with it (testing that is). i trust *my* children (right now, lol), but you know, there are a lot of stupid parents AND kids out there and if it saves a life, well, it's a no brainer. but from what you're saying, if they take steroids, the family deserves what they get - that'll learn 'em!

my stance comes from being a parent and not wanting to see *any* child die from something so preventable and idiotic. it has absolutely nothing to do with trust.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
there are a lot of stupid parents AND kids out there and if it saves a life, well, it's a no brainer. but from what you're saying, if they take steroids, the family deserves what they get - that'll learn 'em!
Save a life? The primary side effect of steroids is a lower sperm count and potentially infertility. Its more like Darwinism in action. Steroids do not kill you.

Aside from that, the effects are similar to drinking or other socially acceptable drugs - irritability and impaired judgment. Oh, and if you're a guy, you might grow some boobs. Literally.

And you may disagree, but mandatory drug testing, imho, has *everything* to do with trust.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:25 PM

828 posts, read 2,839,837 times
Quote:
Steroids do not kill you.

No?
C'mon, you seem to be a pretty well read individual...you are not showing it right now.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
No?
C'mon, you seem to be a pretty well read individual...you are not showing it right now.
Really? Because steroids can cause liver tumors, jaundice, fluid retention, high blood pressure, shrinking of the testicles, reduced sperm count, infertility, baldness, development of breasts, growth of facial hair, changes in or cessation of the menstrual cycle, deepened voice, growth halted prematurely through premature skeletal maturation, accelerated puberty changes, paranoid jealousy, extreme irritability, delusions, and impaired judgment.

Death, if you notice, is not on the list. But what does the national institute of drug abuse know?

Or perhaps you'd prefer the report from a member of the American Medical Association? VM -- Steroid Hysteria: Unpacking the Claims, Nov 05 ... Virtual Mentor . Look under section 3.

Steroids do not cause death.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:06 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,852,114 times
Quote:
Save a life? The primary side effect of steroids is a lower sperm count and potentially infertility. Its more like Darwinism in action. Steroids do not kill you.

Aside from that, the effects are similar to drinking or other socially acceptable drugs - irritability and impaired judgment. Oh, and if you're a guy, you might grow some boobs. Literally.

And you may disagree, but mandatory drug testing, imho, has *everything* to do with trust.

i googled steroids and death and found A LOT. anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree because, while most parents DO trust their kids, kids can be...well, as I said earlier, stupid. they also, as I said, feel invincible. i wouldn't want some juiced up musclehead going all "roid rage" on my kid.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
i googled steroids and death and found A LOT.
That would be the media. They tend to exaggerate things. I sincerely doubt you will find a credible medical source that will attribute death to steroid use.

Like any drug, suicide and homicide get blamed on steroid use; however, the underlying psychological reason for drug use is really the problem. The drug is just an easy scapegoat because its been made "evil". Seriously, read the links, and show me one where someone died from steroids, not from something the media links to steroid use.

Quote:
anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree because, while most parents DO trust their kids, kids can be...well, as I said earlier, stupid. they also, as I said, feel invincible. i wouldn't want some juiced up musclehead going all "roid rage" on my kid.
Kids can also be stupid when driving cars, going out with friends, riding a bicycle, and - surprise surprise - they can be stupid with prescription drugs which are perfectly legal, and found in most homes. Instead of treating kids like criminals, perhaps they should be fed facts (which obviously they haven't since people believe steroids can directly cause death) to be able to make informed decisions about their life.

Quote:
i wouldn't want some juiced up musclehead going all "roid rage" on my kid.
Now thats just a bit silly. Since a study done by Stamford showed that the highest instance of steroid use was unrelated to sports, and related instead to appearance, how would these tests protect them? The likely "musclehead" to go all roid rage wouldn't be involved in any sport besides looking and acting tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey