Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 06:29 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times

Advertisements

Hindenburg Disaster: Last Survivor of Hindenburg Disaster Speaks on Eve of 80th Anniversary of the Crash: 'The Air Was on Fire'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F54rqDh2mWA

It's amazing that there is still one survivor. I'm surprised anyone made it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 07:07 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Got to love it that no one comments on this tragedy.

But if Beyonce or Kim Kard. sneezed people would be pounding their chests in anguish and commenting
how sad that they had to sneeze.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Got to love it that no one comments on this tragedy.

But if Beyonce or Kim Kard. sneezed people would be pounding their chests in anguish and commenting
how sad that they had to sneeze.
I toured the site about 13 years ago. I scheduled, filled out some paperwork, got a time to show up. I ended up with a group of about 150 comprised of people from many states. They were college professors, history junkies, and the relatives of people who had lived in the area at the time. The group got the grand tour, a speech from the base commander, and lunch. It was very nice.

I guess it's all about bridges and tolls.

NJ was famous that month. That event was as famous as the sinking of the Titanic.

Dad listened to reports from Grover's Mill when they were being invaded by Martians. Elsie the Cow is buried in Plainsboro. I'm not even from NJ and I care.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:08 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I toured the site about 13 years ago. I scheduled, filled out some paperwork, got a time to show up. I ended up with a group of about 150 comprised of people from many states. They were college professors, history junkies, and the relatives of people who had lived in the area at the time. The group got the grand tour, a speech from the base commander, and lunch. It was very nice.

I guess it's all about bridges and tolls.

NJ was famous that month. That event was as famous as the sinking of the Titanic.

Dad listened to reports from Grover's Mill when they were being invaded by Martians. Elsie the Cow is buried in Plainsboro. I'm not even from NJ and I care.
Listening to Orson Welles must have been amazing.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:58 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
I'm on the younger side and have a difficult time grasping the impact. I still don't fully understand what the Hindenburg even was - and yes, I've researched it and aircrafts similar to it, though not extensively. Is this equivalent to a modern day plane crash? If so, it's very sad but I still don't see the significance to still have memorial ceremonies all these years later. It was an accident. It wasn't terrorism, wasn't sabotage... it's like MH370 (assuming it was an accident and was not intentionally brought down) or the plane that crashed in Queens in late fall 2001. Awful, but an accident. And luckily, not a lot of people died considering how many were on it who survived. Unfortunately these things DO happen, and I feel like they were more likely to happen 80 years ago when technology was much different than it is now. I honestly find something like MH370, when the plane has never been found, or a crash with no survivors, more haunting than one like the Hindenburg.

I guess maybe you had to be alive at the time, or at least born much closer to the time than I was. If I had family who was on it, or maybe even who witnessed it close range, I would probably feel differently.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:42 PM

857 posts, read 834,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm on the younger side and have a difficult time grasping the impact. I still don't fully understand what the Hindenburg even was - and yes, I've researched it and aircrafts similar to it, though not extensively. Is this equivalent to a modern day plane crash? If so, it's very sad but I still don't see the significance to still have memorial ceremonies all these years later. It was an accident. It wasn't terrorism, wasn't sabotage... it's like MH370 (assuming it was an accident and was not intentionally brought down) or the plane that crashed in Queens in late fall 2001. Awful, but an accident. And luckily, not a lot of people died considering how many were on it who survived. Unfortunately these things DO happen, and I feel like they were more likely to happen 80 years ago when technology was much different than it is now. I honestly find something like MH370, when the plane has never been found, or a crash with no survivors, more haunting than one like the Hindenburg.

I guess maybe you had to be alive at the time, or at least born much closer to the time than I was. If I had family who was on it, or maybe even who witnessed it close range, I would probably feel differently.
What makes the Hindenburg event different from a modern aircraft disaster is that this was a mode of transportation set to change the world of travel and abruptly ended with this accident. It was an event being followed by the world. Modern commercial flights average 100k a day. An accident while tragic is considered par for the course and has little effect on the future of aviation.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:19 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
What makes the Hindenburg event different from a modern aircraft disaster is that this was a mode of transportation set to change the world of travel and abruptly ended with this accident. It was an event being followed by the world. Modern commercial flights average 100k a day. An accident while tragic is considered par for the course and has little effect on the future of aviation.
I know hindsight doesn't matter a bit at this point, but looking at it now I find it difficult to see how they thought that certain mode of transportation could have worked anyway. Until I researched it further pretty recently, I always thought it was a blimp. Just doesn't seem to me like the brightest idea. Looking at photos of it, it flew so low. Seems so dangerous. But of course at the time, they were thinking differently and didn't know what we do now and have what we do now. I think had I been alive at or much closer to the time, I would "get" it and its impact more. The pictures are pretty incredible, though. What a terrible explosion it was. It's amazing so many people survived.

I didn't grow up learning about it, even though it happened right in NJ. I don't think I ever learned about it in school. I don't think it's something that's widely taught today, so many of the younger generations, like me, probably also don't fully grasp the significance and why it's seen as such a big deal. I appreciate people telling me more about it, though.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:36 PM

It did make 17 trips across the Atlantic prior to the disaster. This was 3 years before Pan Am offered its first trans Atlantic trip by seaplane. The Hidenberg was much more luxurious and could accommodate up to 50 people. (They also did not overbook)

Old 05-07-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
As far as I know, that was the only transatlantic flight a civilian could book. Anything else was either military or privately funded. The experimental flights began in the 1910s. Perhaps they were prompted by the sinking of the Titanic.

I think some of the wow factor was because it was supposed to be exceptionally safe.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
As far as I know, that was the only transatlantic flight a civilian could book. Anything else was either military or privately funded. The experimental flights began in the 1910s. Perhaps they were prompted by the sinking of the Titanic.

I think some of the wow factor was because it was supposed to be exceptionally safe.
Correct. The first commercial trans Atlantic flights by airplane were by PanAm in 1939. They also only departed from Eastern Canada and went only to Ireland. So 3 years earlier the Hindenburg was not only more luxurious but more convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey