Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 07:25 PM

128 posts, read 193,293 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Bergen County, NJ. My fiancé is from Philadelphia. We're looking to move here before our baby arrives (Oct 11). My family is here, and we'll have better job opportunities.

We're looking for some affordable, decent communities, with 1 bedrooms under $1000. My family has suggested towns such as Clifton, West New York, & Elmwood Park, which are affordable and mostly safe. We'd prefer to be in Bergen/Passaic/Hudson counties, due to transportation.

I have fair credit (I'm 19, that's pretty good at my age). So, apartment complexes are an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 05:12 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
It's going to be tough to find a place under $1000 anywhere. A quick search on Craigslist shows the only 1 bedrooms renting for under $1000 are in Newark, East Orange, and Irvington.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:34 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
It's going to be tough to find a place under $1000 anywhere. A quick search on Craigslist shows the only 1 bedrooms renting for under $1000 are in Newark, East Orange, and Irvington.
+1
The OP's rental budget is unrealistic in any North Jersey area that is not a hard-core ghetto neighborhood.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:02 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Your best bet is to look for outskirt areas bordering good and less ideal areas for best price.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:30 AM

862 posts, read 976,409 times
this is what I would do, Hit up your families to help out to pay part of rent, they might be willing to help
out on a temporary basis, or move in with them until you get enough money to rent a better place or last resort
if you have low income is to apply for rental assistance from gov't.

$1000 is not enough unless you go to extremely undesirable area's, you could add North Arlington to your list
there are a lot of garden apts there and it's a safe town.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:26 PM

I did search Craigslist. I found apartments in Clifton, Bloomfield, Hackensack, etc.

I know my budget is a stretch, honestly, but my mom is basically begging us to come here. She's low-income, so no long-term help there.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:39 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
You haven't even figured out how to live in those areas where expenses can pile up too.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:52 PM

I was BORN AND RAISED in this area...

Old 05-08-2017, 08:52 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
You said you're 19, is your fiancé around the same age? Do you guys have degrees or go to trade schools (I'll assume you don't at only 19, MAYBE an Associates)? What are your plans for work? You said you'll have better job opportunities here, but for what? What do you guys currently do and is it worth leaving to come here and have to find new jobs? If you're currently working, you obviously won't be able to for some time after the baby is born, so that's something to keep in mind.

You might be better off staying in PA for the time being. Your location says Philly which I'm sure isn't too cheap, though I don't know that area well. I do know that parts of PA are much cheaper than northern NJ so you may be better off there, if you leave the city.

Like others have said, $1000 is not a lot, and one bedroom will be okay while your baby is young, but it's not good beyond a couple to a few years at the most, I would say. Once your baby is a toddler and pre-school age, it would be best to have a bigger place with a separate bedroom for the child. You're going to want to ensure you guys will be making enough money to be able to provide that for him or her. You may have better luck in western NJ than you would in the Bergen/Passaic/Hudson areas, but at that point, you may as well stay in PA.

Expenses are also higher in NJ. You guys each have a car? I assume you have at least one car between the two of you. Car insurance in NJ is expensive, worse than most other states. Planning to maybe work in the city? Transportation costs are high. General COL is high around here. Childcare is another cost, but that will be a cost no matter where you live. Just stuff to keep in mind.

Good luck with whatever you wind up doing.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:01 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townrater View Post
I did search Craigslist. I found apartments in Clifton, Bloomfield, Hackensack, etc.

I know my budget is a stretch, honestly, but my mom is basically begging us to come here. She's low-income, so no long-term help there.
I think you can do it if you look hard enough. Stretch 100-150 more and you definitely can find something reasonable. You are looking in the right towns, should be looking at two familys, above businesses, etc rather then in apartment complexes at your price range.

Keep searching, something will eventually come up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey