Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 03:18 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,082,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
So they should let her go with a warning so she has a fair chance at killing someone.
Most of the people who accumulate these hefty fines don't have a lot of $. So, 600-800 is no joke.

But the short answer is there's a lot of bad drivers out there and you cannot throw the book at all of them. They need to get to work.

You can't really compare improper passing at an unsafe speed to say ... DUI driving into a another auto and causing bodily harm.

Cops usually split the difference and give the ticket with the most points. But I've never heard of a cop giving 10 points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 03:35 PM

857 posts, read 833,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Most of the people who accumulate these hefty fines don't have a lot of $. So, 600-800 is no joke.

But the short answer is there's a lot of bad drivers out there and you cannot throw the book at all of them. They need to get to work.

You can't really compare improper passing at an unsafe speed to say ... DUI driving into a another auto and causing bodily harm.

Cops usually split the difference and give the ticket with the most points. But I've never heard of a cop giving 10 points.
There are a lot of bad drivers. There are also a lot of buses. I will say that in 40 plus years of driving I have never received a ticket. I did have two cars totaled. Both of the accidents were from the other party running a stop sign. Just because a DWI was not involved doesnt make it ok. As far as money is concerned both of these incidents happened when I was young with very little money and caused me a great deal of hardship. Please spare me the sad story that the tickets are too expensive. There is a simple alternative. Follow the rules and you won't get tickets.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:19 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,082,144 times
Quote:
There are a lot of bad drivers. There are also a lot of buses. I will say that in 40 plus years of driving I have never received a ticket. I did have two cars totaled. Both of the accidents were from the other party running a stop sign. Just because a DWI was not involved doesnt make it ok. As far as money is concerned both of these incidents happened when I was young with very little money and caused me a great deal of hardship. Please spare me the sad story that the tickets are too expensive. There is a simple alternative. Follow the rules and you won't get tickets.
It doesn't matter how spotless your driving record is and how much you wave your fist out the window at the person going 20 miles over the speed limit.

The fact of the matter is that traffic courts are packed month in and month out and the judges/prosecutors have a set fee/penal schedule they impose.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:38 PM

11 posts, read 22,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I've seen this type of behavior. They are usually in big SUVs and texting while doing all of the above.

Having said that, plead not guilty and GET A TRAFFIC ATTORNEY. Certain attorneys make specialties of this sort of thing. Hire one. A local one. One who has plead cases before this judge.

It's worth the money in this case. Since she was driving aggressively and irresponsibly, the court will not make a sweet deal easily.

And get a leash on her. Before she kills herself or someone else.

She was not texting and no big SUV, she was driving Honda accord. She got a call from the daycare center that my son got injured that is why she was rushing to see my son.I know, this is not an excuse for rash driving but you know how mothers react. There was a truck moving with very slow speed with hazard lights on (must be something wrong with the truck). The road had only one lane for each side of traffic and my wife decided to cross the double yellow lane to pass the truck and there was no traffic coming from the far side. She was crossing the truck thats when cop clocked her. That is why she got 2 additional tickets in addition to the speeding ticket.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:47 PM

11 posts, read 22,484 times
Quote:
So they should let her go with a warning so she has a fair chance at killing someone.

Not that I care to explain to you but she has been driving for 18 years and for 2 tickets.
anyway, appreciate your time for responding to my thread.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbg007 View Post
Not that I care to explain to you but she has been driving for 18 years and for 2 tickets.
anyway, appreciate your time for responding to my thread.
Forty years and no tickets here and yes I have responded to emergency situations without endangering others.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
It doesn't matter how spotless your driving record is and how much you wave your fist out the window at the person going 20 miles over the speed limit.

The fact of the matter is that traffic courts are packed month in and month out and the judges/prosecutors have a set fee/penal schedule they impose.

So what's your point? Just let it go?

Old 05-09-2017, 08:51 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,032,278 times
Quote:
She was not texting and no big SUV, she was driving Honda accord. She got a call from the daycare center that my son got injured that is why she was rushing to see my son.I know, this is not an excuse for rash driving but you know how mothers react. There was a truck moving with very slow speed with hazard lights on (must be something wrong with the truck). The road had only one lane for each side of traffic and my wife decided to cross the double yellow lane to pass the truck and there was no traffic coming from the far side. She was crossing the truck thats when cop clocked her. That is why she got 2 additional tickets in addition to the speeding ticket.
Ok then, well she got very unlucky. Get the lawyer, get the proof of the phone call from the day care center. That will be considered an extenuating circumstance. Don't listen to what other people say about the uselessness of lawyers in this situation. It's not a sure thing, but they give you the best shot. I've done this, it works. Especially if the attorney you retain regularly defends traffic cases in this court with this judge. There are several of these lawyers in every jurisdiction. Make sure you find a local one that knows the judge and has worked with the judge. He will fix this. Ask the town clerk, or even the court clerk where the case will be held if they know of a good local traffic attorney. This will be someone they run into all the time. Or maybe ask the public defender or the local bar association to suggest the right attorney for this defense. He or she is out there, find them.

Don't give up. Even if you get 4 points instead of 10, your wife is going to be on pins and needles worrying about the NEXT violation. Because if you already have points in the bank, and you get, say, a speeding ticket on top of what you have, the insurance situation will deteriorate quickly and violently. That is why you need a lawyer, and the right lawyer, the local lawyer who works in this courtroom.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:54 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Ok then, well she got very unlucky. Get the lawyer, get the proof of the phone call from the day care center. That will be considered an extenuating circumstance. Don't listen to what other people say about the uselessness of lawyers in this situation. It's not a sure thing, but they give you the best shot. I've done this, it works. Especially if the attorney you retain regularly defends traffic cases in this court with this judge. There are several of these lawyers in every jurisdiction. Make sure you find a local one that knows the judge and has worked with the judge. He will fix this. Ask the town clerk, or even the court clerk where the case will be held if they know of a good local traffic attorney. This will be someone they run into all the time. Or maybe ask the public defender or the local bar association to suggest the right attorney for this defense. He or she is out there, find them.

Don't give up. Even if you get 4 points instead of 10, your wife is going to be on pins and needles worrying about the NEXT violation. Because if you already have points in the bank, and you get, say, a speeding ticket on top of what you have, the insurance situation will deteriorate quickly and violently. That is why you need a lawyer, and the right lawyer, the local lawyer who works in this courtroom.
Rarely do I agree with Marc but he is on the money in the above advise.

Did she explain to officer the circumstances?

Old 05-10-2017, 06:06 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Hope you guys are doing well and title of this thread already told the state of my boat.

My wife got the following three tickets:

39:4–86 Improper passing in no passing zone (4 points)
39:4-97 Careless driving (2 points)
39:4–98 Exceeding maximum speed 15-29 mph over limit (4 points)

She has no points so far, got a couple of tickets before which were paid online.

Shall I call the court and tell them that she is not pleading guilty and when we go to the court and tell the prosecutor that we want to make a plea bargain deal and request him to eliminate/reduce the points in lieu of additional fines.

Any suggestions?
Anyone had recent real time experience on how to handle this situation?
Do I need an attorney?
How much $$$ are we talking about?
In case I need attorney, how much it will cost?

Sincerely,
pbg007
Why isn't she calling the court???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey