Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 09:43 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times

Advertisements

Captain and Marc,
If you don't agree with the political system we have in this country you are both free to move to another country that has a system you agree with.

Government is instituted for the common good; for the protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness of the people; and not for profit, honor, or private interest of any one man, family, or class of men; therefore, the people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government; and to reform, alter, or totally change the same, when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it.
John Adams

Or feel free to gather with other like minded people and change the system.

To the Captain, driving is a privilege, not a right. I think I learned that about 45yrs ago in Driver's Ed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 03:35 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I once got a parking ticket in Cape May.

DAMN you!

True story ,I was driving in Maryland on rt 301 and there was a section that had some lights coming down a hill but looking right into the Sun. The lights were about 100 yards about but synced together.I ran through the first one and saw a cop at the intersection but he was blocked in,he threw on his lights,I pulled into the parking lot before the second light ,got out of the car with all my info and was waiting.By the time he got out of the traffic and got to me he was so happy I didn't run ....he gave me a warning only.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:05 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
Captain and Marc,
If you don't agree with the political system we have in this country you are both free to move to another country that has a system you agree with.
That is a very good point, but because there are no nations that feature the type of system they claim to favor, they will just have to keep chasing that Purple Unicorn.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:58 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Captain and Marc,

Government is instituted for the common good; for the protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness of the people; and not for profit, honor, or private interest of any one man, family, or class of men; therefore, the people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government; and to reform, alter, or totally change the same, when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it.
John Adams

Or feel free to gather with other like minded people and change the system.

To the Captain, driving is a privilege, not a right. I think I learned that about 45yrs ago in Driver's Ed.
why should i move, they are the ones that suck? is that what you would have said to george washington? i guess you are leaving the country after trump won the presidency? i dont plan to move; the government should improve. you must believe that also or you probably would have left when trump won.

there you go, john adams agrees that you should reform government. do you think he had to register his musket? government has grown excessively since the days of john adams and i think he would agree that it needs to be shrunk down to size.

the government taught you that driving is a privilege and not a right. that is a lie. it is our right to buy stuff (or make it) and use that stuff as long as it doesnt harm others. so we have a right to drive without the government's consent as long as we dont harm others.

just to clarify my position, i dont preach for zero government. i think that is an ideal that couldnt work due to several factors. but i would like to shrink it down to the minimum "necessary." i also dont need it to happen overnight; i would like to see movement over time in the right direction. certain things that i would want to happen overnight arent things that cost me money; they are things related to hurting people. like the drug war, tons of "crimes" that shouldnt be crimes and wars overseas. then we can chip away at all the other regulations, laws, government entities, etc. that are bad for americans. i like to throw out things that might get people thinking about rules that we dont need. one i like is eliminating prescription drug requirements. everyone is talking about some form of drug legalization but few are addressing that americans arent free to choose their own medication.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 05-16-2017 at 10:23 AM..

Old 05-16-2017, 02:13 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That is a very good point, but because there are no nations that feature the type of system they claim to favor, they will just have to keep chasing that Purple Unicorn.

No, we will keep suggesting improvements to make the country better, and to make its citizens better. Over time, much like small mutations that take place in biological evolution, ideas spread slowly and efficiently until huge changes occur over time.

One day in the distant future, sniveling, mediocre, whiner-baby, "little guy" worshipping cynical haters of the good, will go extinct, much like homo neanderthalensis and other intermediate pre-human species. This will be the result of philosophical natural selection.

And it starts with the spread of good ideas, and that will happen very quickly as the Internet invades every civilization. So I consider it my duty as an American to do my part to accelerate this extinction, because it can't happen soon enough. Future generations are depending on me, and I will do my part to assist this process of philosophical natural selection.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
why should i move, they are the ones that suck? is that what you would have said to george washington? i guess you are leaving the country after trump won the presidency? i dont plan to move; the government should improve. you must believe that also or you probably would have left when trump won.

there you go, john adams agrees that you should reform government. do you think he had to register his musket? government has grown excessively since the days of john adams and i think he would agree that it needs to be shrunk down to size.

the government taught you that driving is a privilege and not a right. that is a lie. it is our right to buy stuff (or make it) and use that stuff as long as it doesnt harm others. so we have a right to drive without the government's consent as long as we dont harm others.

just to clarify my position, i dont preach for zero government. i think that is an ideal that couldnt work due to several factors. but i would like to shrink it down to the minimum "necessary." i also dont need it to happen overnight; i would like to see movement over time in the right direction. certain things that i would want to happen overnight arent things that cost me money; they are things related to hurting people. like the drug war, tons of "crimes" that shouldnt be crimes and wars overseas. then we can chip away at all the other regulations, laws, government entities, etc. that are bad for americans. i like to throw out things that might get people thinking about rules that we dont need. one i like is eliminating prescription drug requirements. everyone is talking about some form of drug legalization but few are addressing that americans arent free to choose their own medication.
I also said you are free to get involved to CHANGE the current govt. I'm sure not everyone agreed with George Washington. Yes we could stop the unwinnable drug war. Unfortunately, it makes a good sound bite to be "tough on crime". Portugal decriminalized ALL drugs, contrary to opinion drug use declined. Physicians are the ones who choose medications, influenced by the Pharmaceutical industry, I don't think giving patients the right to choose their medications would be better, for the most part their choice would also be influenced by ads from the pharma industry. In countries with universal health care instead of our system that profits on the suffering of others, drug companies can't advertise. It probably doesn't help their stock prices, but then they don't have to develop a "new" drug just because the patent is expiring on the old one that works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
No, we will keep suggesting improvements to make the country better, and to make its citizens better. Over time, much like small mutations that take place in biological evolution, ideas spread slowly and efficiently until huge changes occur over time.

One day in the distant future, sniveling, mediocre, whiner-baby, "little guy" worshipping cynical haters of the good, will go extinct, much like homo neanderthalensis and other intermediate pre-human species. This will be the result of philosophical natural selection.

And it starts with the spread of good ideas, and that will happen very quickly as the Internet invades every civilization. So I consider it my duty as an American to do my part to accelerate this extinction, because it can't happen soon enough. Future generations are depending on me, and I will do my part to assist this process of philosophical natural selection.
As I said you're free to get involved in the political process.

Watch what you say about the "little guy", he's the one that will come out and unclog your toilet on a holiday weekend. There is still a need for office cleaners, street sweepers, garbage collection, plumbers, etc. They aren't going to go extinct.

The country has changed considerably since the days of Washington, Jefferson, and Adams. I wonder if they could of conceived of automatic weapons, travel to Europe in hours, not months, telephones, ball point pens vs quills, flipping a lever (switch) vs a candle or oil lamp. Travel by automobile or rail vs horseback.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:00 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
i shouldnt have to get permission to travel by car. a license is a way for the government to steal your rights and sell them back to you. i got a license because if i dont, the government will harm me. i accept that, i dont agree with it.
Say what?

Old 05-16-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Say what?
basically i shouldnt have to get a license to drive. it is my right to drive without government having any say. it is only if i harm someone while driving to i stand to lose that right.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
As I said you're free to get involved in the political process.

Watch what you say about the "little guy", he's the one that will come out and unclog your toilet on a holiday weekend. There is still a need for office cleaners, street sweepers, garbage collection, plumbers, etc. They aren't going to go extinct.

The country has changed considerably since the days of Washington, Jefferson, and Adams. I wonder if they could of conceived of automatic weapons, travel to Europe in hours, not months, telephones, ball point pens vs quills, flipping a lever (switch) vs a candle or oil lamp. Travel by automobile or rail vs horseback.
thanks, i know i can get involved. i have no obligation to get involved.

when did i say anything about "the little guy"? i love the "little guy." i love the big guy also. everyone is cool with me as long as they dont harm others.

we have come a long way. that is great. im pretty sure that the people who wrote to constitution didnt believe that technological advances should reduce people's freedoms or grow government. they probably would hope for the opposite.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
basically i shouldnt have to get a license to drive. it is my right to drive without government having any say. it is only if i harm someone while driving to i stand to lose that right.
Or you could look at it like the government is trying to insure you have the maturity and ability to handle a 4000lb missile before you go out in public and endanger others.

Quote:
thanks, i know i can get involved. i have no obligation to get involved.

when did i say anything about "the little guy"? i love the "little guy." i love the big guy also. everyone is cool with me as long as they dont harm others.

we have come a long way. that is great. im pretty sure that the people who wrote to constitution didnt believe that technological advances should reduce people's freedoms or grow government. they probably would hope for the opposite.
The "little guy" comment was aimed at your friend and it seems fellow traveler Marc.

In some ways technology has increased people freedoms. Most people born 200+yrs ago never went more than 20 miles from their place of birth. They were tied to the farm for their food and survival. Medicine consisted of leeching. In a large sense govt seems to have grown at the insistence of the military-industrial complex and the need to feed that machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey