Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 04:22 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
...and real estate agents.
I guess they aren't considered "little guys".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 05:34 PM

857 posts, read 834,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
...and real estate agents.
Does that go right in between street sweeper and garbage collector?

Old 05-17-2017, 08:23 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I know two people who got a DUI in NJ, and it took over a year to go through the red tape. Those people who made the mistake of driving while over the legal limit got to drive for about 15 months before they lost their license.

Does that make you feel safe?
No but unfortunately this is common in the court system. If it weren't illegal at all no one would ever get in trouble and there would be even more deaths and accidents, and more people would drive drunk purposely, knowing they could get away with it.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:31 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
Does that go right in between street sweeper and garbage collector?
Actually that would go between garbage collector and Sewage Treatment Plant worker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No but unfortunately this is common in the court system. If it weren't illegal at all no one would ever get in trouble and there would be even more deaths and accidents, and more people would drive drunk purposely, knowing they could get away with it.
I would guess it takes so long because people are getting lawyers and delaying the inevitable. Penalties for DWI are pretty stiff. Like the anti DWI commercials say, around $10K

Old 05-18-2017, 10:36 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,953,594 times
I got a BS ticket years ago for "running a stop sign".. It was in Hoboken and they just built this big building at the intersection. The cop didn't see me stop before the sign because the building was blocking his view, so he thought I rolled through it. I got the points dropped but it was a $500 fine.

15 Years ago I got a speeding ticket which was only 2 maybe 4 points. It was like an hour away and I didn't feel like going to court so I just paid it. BIG MISTAKE!!! My insurance company ended up DROPPING ME! the next best insurance that would pick me up was an extra like $300 a month. That speeding ticket ended up costing me like $10,000 over 3 years.. And even that ticket was BS.. 45 in a 35 cause it was a beach town and they setup a speed trap right where the road drops from a 45 to a 35.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:36 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the bottom line is that we lack the right to tell that person otherwise. if they havent done anything wrong, we have no business telling them what they can or cant do. its clear that people feel a certain sense of power by voicing opinions limiting other people's rights.
i simply feel i lack the right to tell others what to do. it doesnt matter if i can get together a voting majority, that doesnt change anything.
Ok so who decides what is wrong? You ? Me? How about all of us together, yes a MAJORITY of voters, that's what laws are. What you're advocating would result in total chaos. Does your theory apply to drivers who feel like it's ok to roll down a two lane highway straddling both lanes doing 35 mph because what they're doing isn't hurting anyone? How about I come to your house and help myself to some of your stuff because I feel like it's wrong for you to have more things, or nicer things than me, it doesn't really hurt you after all. I know a guy who doesn't see anything wrong with taking food from a grocery store or scamming a meal out of a restaurant when he's hungry because he feels like that's reason enough to help himself.
Yeah, YOU alone don't have the right to tell others what to do, but as a society we get together and decide what is the best way to make things flow smoothly, what's right and what's wrong. As a member of that society, if you don't like the rules you work to change the rules or you remove yourself and quit availing yourself of the advantages that society offers you. Do you truly want to go to a completely lawless society, or is it that you just don't want to obey laws that you feel go against your personal desires?

Old 05-18-2017, 03:43 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Yeah, YOU alone don't have the right to tell others what to do, but as a society we get together and decide what is the best way to make things flow smoothly, what's right and what's wrong.
no, a society has no more moral righteousness than an individual. the bar for laws should be based on what causes others actual harm, not what is the preference of other individuals. i dont advocate for lawlessness, just laws that dont infringe on people's individual liberty. drugs are an easy one, so lets use it. there should be no drug laws and no prescription requirements for medication. drug laws are an obvious violation of individual freedom and a great example of how "society" clearly needs some fixing. we need to put individual rights above whatever societies preferences are at a given time. that is actually one of the founding principles of this country. however, tyrants have managed to turn their backs on it and then when someone says something then its that person that is supposed to move to somalia. you are supporting the type of tyranny that the founding fathers fought against. you are the one that needs to move to somalia and the government should pare itself down to size.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:41 AM

421 posts, read 287,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
I got a BS ticket years ago for "running a stop sign".. It was in Hoboken and they just built this big building at the intersection. The cop didn't see me stop before the sign because the building was blocking his view, so he thought I rolled through it. I got the points dropped but it was a $500 fine.

15 Years ago I got a speeding ticket which was only 2 maybe 4 points. It was like an hour away and I didn't feel like going to court so I just paid it. BIG MISTAKE!!! My insurance company ended up DROPPING ME! the next best insurance that would pick me up was an extra like $300 a month. That speeding ticket ended up costing me like $10,000 over 3 years.. And even that ticket was BS.. 45 in a 35 cause it was a beach town and they setup a speed trap right where the road drops from a 45 to a 35.

Never heard of an Insurance company dropping someone for one speeding ticket?

Old 05-20-2017, 10:07 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,634,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
no, a society has no more moral righteousness than an individual. the bar for laws should be based on what causes others actual harm, not what is the preference of other individuals. i dont advocate for lawlessness, just laws that dont infringe on people's individual liberty. drugs are an easy one, so lets use it. there should be no drug laws and no prescription requirements for medication. drug laws are an obvious violation of individual freedom and a great example of how "society" clearly needs some fixing. we need to put individual rights above whatever societies preferences are at a given time. that is actually one of the founding principles of this country. however, tyrants have managed to turn their backs on it and then when someone says something then its that person that is supposed to move to somalia. you are supporting the type of tyranny that the founding fathers fought against. you are the one that needs to move to somalia and the government should pare itself down to size.

Sure. Let's go ahead and use the slave-owning founding fathers as the poster boys for a society of laws where we don't cause harm to one another.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:49 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
Nevermind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey