Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 04:09 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_vader123 View Post
I did add enough, I think.
You're not getting it!
How much is "enough"?

Those engines usually hold less than 1 qt of oil, so if you had to add...let's say...3/4 of a qt of oil, then you were running it with almost no lubrication. However, as was said by somebody else, in the worst case scenario, you would only need to spend a few hundred $$ if it is necessary to replace that machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 04:23 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Sorry for the random question, but I trust there are people who are sincere and knowledgable about such things that I felt that I could ask my question here.

Here's my issue: I was running my lawnmower today and didn't screw in the oil cap properly. The engine started to smoke up, but the lawnmower kept mowing.

Eventually, I realized the smoke and stopped my work. I cleaned off (as best I can) all the grease and grime that spilled over my mower, but I was more worried about the engine.

So I let the engine cool off a bit and then I started it back up. The mower was working, but then when I got to a thicker part of the lawn, it stopped. I thought I was out of gas, but I don't think that was it. I was worried that I really shot the engine, but when I let it cool down again, the mower started to work.

At this point, I didn't try to mow the lawn and thought it really needed a few hours to really cool down.

Question is simply this: Did my ruin my engine? Any thoughts?

TIA for your help.
these engines will seize up with low oil and long mowing period/heat buildup, most of the time let it cool down add more oil and away you go.

Let it cool completely, add oil but critical to not overfill!

Stall on tall grass could be a number of factors.

mid day best time to mow as grass is following the sun. don't mow when grass is wet.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:43 PM

235 posts, read 263,176 times
Quote:
I did add enough, I think. I probably ran it for about 5 minutes. I stopped as soon as I saw the smoke and I think I ran it for another 5 minutes after filling it with oil.
A few questions:

What type of oil fill do you have? Does it have a dipstick on top of the engine, or just a tiny port at the bottom of the engine that you unscrew?

Did you check the oil level AFTER the engine had been stopped at least a half hour? If you check it too soon after you shut down the engine, you will get a false reading. So:

If it has a dipstick, that one is obvious. Check the reading AFTER THE ENGINE HAS BEEN SITTING AT LEAST 30 MINUTES. It should read between the add and full mark.

If it has just a tiny screw port at the bottom of the engine, that should be up to the top WHEN SITTING AT LEAST 30 MINUTES.

Smoke? That leads me to believe you:

1) Over filled the crank case.

2) Tipped the mower over and oil leaked out through the filter and onto the hot engine where it was burning off.

I doubt there is anything catastrophic pending. In fact, some of the newer machines have a fail-safe feature that shuts down the engine if there is too little oil.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:50 PM

235 posts, read 263,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Yes. The most likely reason is the thick fast-growing spring grass is just too much for the amount of torque that mower has.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:48 PM

256 posts, read 398,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ to MA View Post
A few questions:

What type of oil fill do you have? Does it have a dipstick on top of the engine, or just a tiny port at the bottom of the engine that you unscrew?

Did you check the oil level AFTER the engine had been stopped at least a half hour? If you check it too soon after you shut down the engine, you will get a false reading. So:

If it has a dipstick, that one is obvious. Check the reading AFTER THE ENGINE HAS BEEN SITTING AT LEAST 30 MINUTES. It should read between the add and full mark.

If it has just a tiny screw port at the bottom of the engine, that should be up to the top WHEN SITTING AT LEAST 30 MINUTES.

Smoke? That leads me to believe you:

1) Over filled the crank case.

2) Tipped the mower over and oil leaked out through the filter and onto the hot engine where it was burning off.

I doubt there is anything catastrophic pending. In fact, some of the newer machines have a fail-safe feature that shuts down the engine if there is too little oil.
Thank you. I appreciate the genuine and accurate answer. Everything I've seen confirms what you said.

Thanks again.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:51 PM

256 posts, read 398,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
these engines will seize up with low oil and long mowing period/heat buildup, most of the time let it cool down add more oil and away you go.

Let it cool completely, add oil but critical to not overfill!

mid day best time to mow as grass is following the sun. don't mow when grass is wet.
Thank you. It's good to read some sincere answers here.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:17 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Go with electric. Then you don't have to worry about smelly and messy liquids and there is no maintenance. This baby with an ion lithium battery performs very similarly to gas powered mower "without the noise, fuss and fumes":

https://egopowerplus.com/products/20-inch-mower

Old 05-16-2017, 06:50 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
If you have very thick grass, such as Bermudagrass, or just tall grass in general, I do not recommend electric mowers. You're just not going to get the same power as you would from a gas mower. Another issue with electric mowers is that you constantly have to keep moving the electric cord from side to side,being especially careful not to run it over with the mower. And of course you always have to be near a power outlet, which likely is not practical if you have a large yard. I used to be a landscaper for a golf course so I have a lot of experience in this area. I have never tried the lithium-ion cordless mowers but I can't imagine they would be nearly as powerful as a gas mower, and I wouldn't want the battery to die in the middle of mowing.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:31 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
Mine is. 36V and the first of the season it went right through some bits that were 6" tall. Like any push mower (like the OP) you feel it starting to bog down in high grass and walk slightly slower. They have their limits but Mine could do my yard three times over without trouble. I imagine your weed trimmer isn't electric either and you spend a lot of time yanking on cords and thinking about getting gas. I'm done with that stuff.

I like how you "have a lot of experience in this area" but haven't actually tried one. This is like saying you can't imagine how a melted bunch of ice cream in a cup would be any good because you've never tried a milkshake.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:22 PM

312 posts, read 686,201 times
I just went electric as well (Ego 56 volt). It actually does a better job through the tall grass than my old gasoline mower (admittedly a cheap one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: