U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-16-2017, 06:22 PM
 
4 posts, read 10,735 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm long time New Jersey native born and raised in Basking Ridge, NJ. Needless to say this is one of the safest areas in New Jersey. I'm now parting ways from my parents and I'll be splitting a rental with a co-worker. We're looking for affordable but spacious places where we can actually save enough money to buy our own unit in a few years. (Why waste money on a rental you're getting no return/equity on?) My co-worker will be working in Piscataway and I'm working in Bedminster. While searching for condos/apartments/town houses we came across some really nice looking units in Somerset, NJ. We applied to one unit, got approved, and are ready to move forward however I have my concerns regarding the area. In particular my family is bit insure if this is a safe/trusted area. Does anyone have any feedback on the area? Is it safe? Is it rundown? Is there a lot to do nearby? Will our commutes to work be hellish? (Or at least mine to Bedminster? )


The neighborhood we are looking at is: Canterbury Cir, Somerset, NJ

Last edited by shadow82x; 05-16-2017 at 06:41 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2017, 09:36 PM
 
2,515 posts, read 1,956,710 times
Reputation: 2900
You will be fine. That area has a lot of Indian American families. Traffic/Commute is bad but it's safe.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2017, 07:40 PM
 
4 posts, read 10,735 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
You will be fine. That area has a lot of Indian American families. Traffic/Commute is bad but it's safe.
Good to hear it's a safe area. I'm assuming the closer you get to NB the worse it is though.

Where is the traffic usually? I'm guessing it's 287, my primary highway that I need to go on...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 01:25 PM
 
1,218 posts, read 3,123,673 times
Reputation: 1862
my Aunt and Uncle have lived in Somerset for years and I go to a car wash right on the border of NB and Somerset. While that part isn't the best area, I haven't felt unsafe. I commute from Piscataway to Morristown and traffic on 287 sucks. But your commute isn't that far so you will only have to endure for 30-45 mins max unless there is some big incident.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 01:37 PM
 
18,286 posts, read 23,059,564 times
Reputation: 24370
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
my Aunt and Uncle have lived in Somerset for years and I go to a car wash right on the border of NB and Somerset. While that part isn't the best area, I haven't felt unsafe.
Just to clarify matters for the OP, the area that was referred to above is 7-8 miles from the Canterbury Circle neighborhood. While the parts of Somerset that border New Brunswick are not desirable, you need to bear in mind that Franklin Township--of which Somerset is the largest part--covers 47 square miles, and the undesirable part of the township only encompasses ~1 square mile.

As to I-287, the traffic becomes very bad in the southbound direction during evening rush hours, and in the northbound direction during morning rush hours. Southbound in the AM, and northbound in the PM are not problematic.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2017, 09:17 AM
 
4 posts, read 10,735 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you for the responses!

Glad to hear it's not as dangerous as some perceive it to be. Stats also support what others have mentioned in this conversation. Even in the "dangerous" areas which appear to be around Hamilton Street, there seems to be a lot of decent restaurants and fast food options. Are you "safe" going to these?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2017, 07:54 PM
 
1,221 posts, read 1,956,825 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow82x View Post
Hi all,
I'm long time New Jersey native born and raised in Basking Ridge, NJ. Needless to say this is one of the safest areas in New Jersey. I'm now parting ways from my parents and I'll be splitting a rental with a co-worker. We're looking for affordable but spacious places where we can actually save enough money to buy our own unit in a few years. (Why waste money on a rental you're getting no return/equity on?) My co-worker will be working in Piscataway and I'm working in Bedminster. While searching for condos/apartments/town houses we came across some really nice looking units in Somerset, NJ. We applied to one unit, got approved, and are ready to move forward however I have my concerns regarding the area. In particular my family is bit insure if this is a safe/trusted area. Does anyone have any feedback on the area? Is it safe? Is it rundown? Is there a lot to do nearby? Will our commutes to work be hellish? (Or at least mine to Bedminster? )


The neighborhood we are looking at is: Canterbury Cir, Somerset, NJ
Canterbury Circle? That area is nice and perfectly fine. It's also technically not even in what's usually considered the boundaries of Somerset (Demott Lane is the delineator and you're on the non-Somerset side), you just have a Somerset mailing address.

That said, most of Somerset in general is fine, it's only the small part near 27/the NB border with a particularly bad reputation.

Quote:
(Why waste money on a rental you're getting no return/equity on?)
Do remember that NJ property taxes are significant and cut into that return. It's certainly usually still smarter to buy, but it's less clear-cut than it looks at first glance.

Ex: In 2014 average house values in Franklin ~$321k, average property taxes were $6.5k. Sure, at the end of your 30 year mortgage, you own the house. But you'll also have paid out $195k in taxes. It's still probably a smarter decision than renting is, but your return (not counting property appreciation) is less than it looks.

-------------------

As for commuting. You'll sit in traffic on Easton Ave and you'll sit in traffic on 287 until you clear the Raritan River. Your overall commute will probably be 20-45min assuming you are going to AT&T or the like, with it being very dependent on your exact timing. If your work allows you to flex time by even an hour or so, it will be very helpful. (ex: 8-4, 10-6, whatever doesn't have you trying to get there for 9AM or leaving at 5PM).

You will have the reverse on the ride home, with the backups starting right after the 22EB off-ramp.

When there is a huge accident, you can use back roads (provided you use Waze and know before getting stuck in it), but they will not be likely to be faster on an average day.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2017, 09:11 PM
 
4 posts, read 10,735 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Canterbury Circle? That area is nice and perfectly fine. It's also technically not even in what's usually considered the boundaries of Somerset (Demott Lane is the delineator and you're on the non-Somerset side), you just have a Somerset mailing address.

That said, most of Somerset in general is fine, it's only the small part near 27/the NB border with a particularly bad reputation.

Do remember that NJ property taxes are significant and cut into that return. It's certainly usually still smarter to buy, but it's less clear-cut than it looks at first glance.

Ex: In 2014 average house values in Franklin ~$321k, average property taxes were $6.5k. Sure, at the end of your 30 year mortgage, you own the house. But you'll also have paid out $195k in taxes. It's still probably a smarter decision than renting is, but your return (not counting property appreciation) is less than it looks.

-------------------

As for commuting. You'll sit in traffic on Easton Ave and you'll sit in traffic on 287 until you clear the Raritan River. Your overall commute will probably be 20-45min assuming you are going to AT&T or the like, with it being very dependent on your exact timing. If your work allows you to flex time by even an hour or so, it will be very helpful. (ex: 8-4, 10-6, whatever doesn't have you trying to get there for 9AM or leaving at 5PM).

You will have the reverse on the ride home, with the backups starting right after the 22EB off-ramp.

When there is a huge accident, you can use back roads (provided you use Waze and know before getting stuck in it), but they will not be likely to be faster on an average day.
Excellent advise thank you. When you say 'bad reputation' what do you mean? Is it okay to go to restaurants in less desirable areas?

And close, it's Verizon in Bedminster.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2017, 07:11 PM
 
1,221 posts, read 1,956,825 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow82x View Post
Excellent advise thank you. When you say 'bad reputation' what do you mean? Is it okay to go to restaurants in less desirable areas?
Sure. It's not Camden. I just wouldn't want to live there and deal with the higher property crime issues, higher quality of life issues, and yes, maybe some safety risks were I taking a walk late at night or something.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2017, 12:40 PM
 
12,891 posts, read 13,087,511 times
Reputation: 18428
As someone from Union County, who goes to Newark basically every weekday, I'm laughing that some parts of Somerset County are considered "bad."
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top