Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 05:47 AM

18,579 posts, read 10,590,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Oh, so you agree. It's grease.
I bet you call it "sauce " ,don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 06:58 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,589,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post

You're the undisputed champ of not making any sense.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
You're the undisputed champ of not making any sense.
Not my fault you can't keep up..

Old 09-12-2017, 03:18 PM

32,851 posts, read 36,171,734 times
Quote:
You know it's not really "grease" ,right? It's oil from the cheese and it's ok to soak it up with a napkin or just let it drip onto the plate.
Yes. Years ago I used to mong cheese.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yes. Years ago I used to mong cheese.

So to people who don't know, grease = oil

sauce =gravy

Old 09-13-2017, 08:54 AM

235 posts, read 261,996 times
Breaking news! New York's best pizza isn't in New York. It's in New Jersey!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/d...rsey-city.html

Old 09-13-2017, 09:46 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,941,098 times
^ I agree with this comment. "Yes, because Jersey City is the same as middle America. So Brooklyn pizza is OK but just traveling a couple of miles the other direction means it can't be good?" This guys gets it.

It's hard to say what the best ever of all time is but can't we agree that places in NY and NJ (and elsewhere) both have really good pizza and sometimes really bad pizza? Maybe you can't say what's the best or even what's better, but I think us rational ones can agree that there's good pizza everywhere in the area. The NY vs. NJ pizza debate is just dumb. It's really trying to say "my state/city is better than yours." Nah, I've had really good pizza in both. Can't choose.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:40 AM

235 posts, read 261,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
^ I agree with this comment. "Yes, because Jersey City is the same as middle America. So Brooklyn pizza is OK but just traveling a couple of miles the other direction means it can't be good?" This guys gets it.

It's hard to say what the best ever of all time is but can't we agree that places in NY and NJ (and elsewhere) both have really good pizza and sometimes really bad pizza? Maybe you can't say what's the best or even what's better, but I think us rational ones can agree that there's good pizza everywhere in the area. The NY vs. NJ pizza debate is just dumb. It's really trying to say "my state/city is better than yours." Nah, I've had really good pizza in both. Can't choose.
Your point is well taken. We NJ residents just can't resist one-upping New Yorkers.

I'm sure you can find good pizza in just about any large metro area. I have my doubts about Chicago since I'm not a fan of deep-dish. Seriously, you could probably find Neopolitan there too.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:20 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,273,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Seriously, I assume pizza is generally at least decent in the Midwest and elsewhere. Probably generally not quite to New Jersey levels, but this is quite clearly ridiculous.
I am a bona fide NY/NJ pizza maven, born and raised in the metro area and seriously picky about which representatives of the "one true style of pizza" pass muster.

But I lived in southwestern Ohio for a while and feel the need to defend the concept of Midwestern pizza as a viable foodstuff even if it is not "pizza-as-we-know-it".

The main difference between a good pizza and a bad one, regardless of the style, is the quality of its ingredients and preparation (and obviously the atrocious and disqualifying presence of pineapple).

In the area of Ohio I was living, the chief style was far from the "Wonder bread with ketchup and Velveeta" as described by one poster early in this thread. Ohio, like much of the Midwest is region where the raw ingredients of food are produced, and thus conflating America's breadbasket with industrialized dreck is way off base. It is true that the region has a reputation for bland and gloopy food, but when food is taken seriously in the Midwest, its quality, even if not in the style we prefer, can be top-tier. The Midwest is far from the food wasteland that provincial, untraveled coastal dwellers like to imagine.

The style of the area, SW Ohio (near Cincinnatti), consisted of a medium thickness crust of a high gluten flour, like that used to make the ultra thin crust of NY/NJ, and CT crusts, yet still thin enough that the chew and emphasis is drawn to the sauce, cheese, and toppings.

The sauce tends to be longer cooked than the fresher flavored, short cooked sauced more typical back east, but not so much that it tastes like an over sweet, sun-dried tomato which is a flavor I find common in many pizzas across the country. The Ohio sauce still tastes like tomatoes that were growing in recent memory, not a sauce of sun-tortured raisins. Nor is the sauce over salted or excessively seasoned with unnecessary amounts of garlic powder or oregano.

The cheese is applied liberally and all the way to the edge of the crust where it browns and melds into the flat, unraised edge. As far as I can tell, it is the same type of low-moisture mozzarella common in the pizzas you find in most Northeastern pizza parlors. Fresh, full-fat buffalo mozzarella it is not, but then neither is that the case most anywhere.

Toppings are typical, pepperoni and sausage seem to be popular at parties where many pies were provided for large groups. Finally, the oddest element, though something that seems common to the Midwest, is that the round pies were cut into squares. That was perhaps the most striking and unusual aspect of the Ohio pizza style I encountered. The only advantage to this that I could discern is that is allowed a large group to enjoy their preference of crusty, browned edge pieces or sumptuous, gooey center pieces as they desired.

Anyway, that is my defense of Midwest (Ohio) style pizza as a viable alternative foodstuff to the "One true style of American pizza" as found in our great Northeastern homeland.

No, It is not your mother's pizza, in fact it is a pizza-face only a mother could love, but Milillo's pizza in Hamilton, Ohio is a tasty treat in a land where "proper" pizza can be very hard to find:

Source:https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...DcR1A/348s.jpg

Old 09-13-2017, 03:52 PM

14,498 posts, read 9,410,233 times
Quote:
It's gravy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey