U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 09:09 PM

183 posts, read 622,176 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Oakland, NJ with my wife, 2.5 year old daughter, and will have another daughter in November. I work in Florham Park, NJ and have an approximate 45-60 minute commute and my wife works next to WTC so she drives to the NJ Route 17 NJ Transit and takes the train to Hoboken (approx. 43 minute commute) and into NYC for an approx. 1.5 hour total commute. I really Oakland especially the school district but looking for a newer house with a bit more property and a pool. We currently live in an HOA so a pool is not an option. Bergen has a few options but my wife wants to stay on the Bergen County line as there are express routes. I prefer Mahwah/Montvale for the lower tax brackets and increased budget to $1.1M. I am looking for other non-Bergen County options to consider to see what my options are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 10:18 PM

183 posts, read 622,176 times
Ttt

Old 08-10-2017, 10:25 PM

355 posts, read 905,399 times
focus on your wife's commute...the best house will suck if your wife has to suffer with a longer commute

Old 08-11-2017, 05:57 AM

317 posts, read 335,379 times
What about East Hanover? It's right next to Florham Park and close to I-280 to drive to the Harrison PATH station, which goes directly to WTC. Also, it has low taxes, good schools, and some newer homes with pools and more property.

You don't want both you and your wife to have long commutes, especially with kids. You can still make your wife's commute better while making yours much better.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:19 AM

931 posts, read 2,950,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAgosto View Post
I currently live in Oakland, NJ with my wife, 2.5 year old daughter, and will have another daughter in November. I work in Florham Park, NJ and have an approximate 45-60 minute commute and my wife works next to WTC so she drives to the NJ Route 17 NJ Transit and takes the train to Hoboken (approx. 43 minute commute) and into NYC for an approx. 1.5 hour total commute. I really Oakland especially the school district but looking for a newer house with a bit more property and a pool. We currently live in an HOA so a pool is not an option. Bergen has a few options but my wife wants to stay on the Bergen County line as there are express routes. I prefer Mahwah/Montvale for the lower tax brackets and increased budget to $1.1M. I am looking for other non-Bergen County options to consider to see what my options are.

If your wife wants to stay on the Bergen County Line, then your options are limited. Mahwah, Ramsey and maybe close-enough Wyckoff are probably the only choices for you. New construction in Allendale at that price range will be slim-pickings, but there will also be a few options as well.

If your wife is willing to switch over to the Pascack Valley or the Morris & Essex Lines, then I think you'll have a lot more options, including Montvale. Denville (close to Florham Park) also has plenty of newer homes on big lots within your price range.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey