Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 08:32 AM

14 posts, read 12,890 times

Advertisements

We are from North Jersey (Bergen County) and are having an 11am beach wedding Belmar in mid August this year. We booked a shuttle service for our guests starting at 10am (from the reception hall that is 10 mins away from ceremony site) so that guests don't have to battle with parking issues. We are telling our guests to leave plenty of time to account for summer Parkway traffic. Some people are asking me when a good time is to leave if it normally takes 1.5 hours to get to Belmar without traffic. What time would you suggest? Is Parkway traffic just as nuts in mid Aug as it is in earlier summer months?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 09:42 AM

198 posts, read 276,323 times
It's even nuttier in August. If you want your guests to arrive for a 10am shuttle I would suggest them to leave 8am or earlier to be on the safe side.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:42 AM

11,336 posts, read 16,689,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormie_IV View Post
We are from North Jersey (Bergen County) and are having an 11am beach wedding Belmar in mid August this year. We booked a shuttle service for our guests starting at 10am (from the reception hall that is 10 mins away from ceremony site) so that guests don't have to battle with parking issues. We are telling our guests to leave plenty of time to account for summer Parkway traffic. Some people are asking me when a good time is to leave if it normally takes 1.5 hours to get to Belmar without traffic. What time would you suggest? Is Parkway traffic just as nuts in mid Aug as it is in earlier summer months?

Thank you!
I'd leave now if I was you....only kidding.

Summer traffic is hit or miss.

If it normally takes 1.5 hours, I would add at least another 1/2 hour if not more.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:44 AM

88,504 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Tell them to leave at 6 a.m. and use the time to get breakfast down there. I am not being sarcastic. If you leave from Bergen County at 7 or after on a weekend day in summer, you are guaranteed to be crawling in traffic. It will be a lot longer than half an hour more.

I lived near Ridgewood, as a point of reference, and used to have a friend who lived at the shore. I knew if I wasn't on the road before 7, it was too late to leave.

Now I live down here and avoid the Parkway at all costs in the summer. My mother knows she will not see me on a weekend in the summer.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:00 PM

Thanks all! I now have a better idea of a time to tell people other than saying "early". Whenever I travel to the beach (usually Wildwood every yea), it's in June and we leave super early in the morning so we don't lose half the day getting there. I know most people aren't like us, so I definitely wanted to drive home the point to get their butts there early!

Old 06-11-2017, 03:10 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,421 times
Dad lives in Toms River and I often go to see him on Saturdays. The timing "rule" I've found useful is that southbound Parkway traffic on summer weekends is no problem as long as you're over the Driscoll Bridge by 9:00 a.m.

Indeed, just yesterday I ran half-an-hour late, crossing the bridge at 9:30. Even then, there were some backups in the express lanes but the local moved along without any delay. I was in TR by 10:15. (Strong suggestion: take the LOCAL lanes!)

On one hand, I agree with BillCashman and would advise leaving home in Bergen County by 8:00. On the other hand, leaving too early may result in your guests discovering that sitting around with nothing to do because they're two hours early is also no fun.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:26 PM

Thank you for that, MaverickDD! Driscoll bridge, good landmark to use when i talk to people

Old 06-12-2017, 08:29 AM

32,914 posts, read 36,310,068 times
I agree with Mightyqueen and camaro. None of your guests can leave too early. I'll never forget the 45 mile nearly 2 1/2 hour crawl years ago from Belmar to LBI one August. That shouldn't be worse than any other section. Maybe there were a lot of accidents that day.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:05 AM

538 posts, read 732,240 times
I live in South Orange and the beach I usually go to is Asbury Park. Drive 'should' be an hour. If I leave at 8 I'll arrive at 9. Parking is easy (that's when the meters start there) and I can park right near the beach.

Anything past that, the traffic is just too insane to even think about. I did it once, but I'll never do it again. The problem with wedding guests, is that they probably won't listen. NYC-NNJ people live to pushing their schedules to the limit and are always late. Get ready to spend the whole day hearing people talk about their traffic disasters!

Old 06-12-2017, 09:24 AM

5,770 posts, read 16,577,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormie_IV View Post
Thank you for that, MaverickDD! Driscoll bridge, good landmark to use when i talk to people
I often also find the local lanes usually move better. They don't have that merge from 3 lanes down to 2 for one thing.

If the GSP is bad I back road it often, such as US 9 down to NJ 18.

Usually I pull up a map on EeeeeEeEEvil racist Google Maps, turn on the "traffic" display layer to get an idea, on cellphone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey