U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 07:11 PM

25 posts, read 11,948 times

Advertisements

Hi we are Hindu originally from India, right now we are living in Bayonne, NJ.
My son 7 years was playing outside. and while playing he went to neighbors driveway+sidewalk
and started playing with chalk.
after some time neighbor came and started shouting using abusive words.
he was bragging/shouting "my wife has big connections, she knows all big guys in town",
He made some racist comments also. He also tried to threaten us like you don't know the rules in this country, your religion allow kids to play kids in neighbors area like that.

So, I started video tape him with my cellphone, then he started saying you can not video tape, he will send us in jail for this.

I know that my kid made a mistake , we offered them that we will clean it was just chalk mark on outside driveway floor, but seems like it was just an excuse for him to shout on us because we are Hindu/Indian.

So, my concern is if something like this happen again, if he or some body else makes racist comment on us...what we should do?

Note: we have faced racism here before also, somebody had broken our living room big glass window by throwing a stone also.
In some other incident somebody sliced our car tire. we called the cops both time, cop asked do you suspect somebody we said no, after that I don't think police investigated anything. seems like cops are also not cooperating for minorities.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:31 PM

1,025 posts, read 342,324 times
It sounds like your neighbor is intolerant and yes, he might be a bigot and/or racist.

Younger children like your son draw with chalk on driveways and sidewalks all of the time, no matter what religion or race they are. Your neighbor made a big issue out of nothing.

You were correct to offer to clean the chalk off his driveway.

Unfortunately there are some people here in the U.S. who are racist. My best advice on this is to ignore their ignorant comments unless they become threats. Most racists are that way because they are ignorant.

I'm sorry to hear that you have had other incidents where you have faced racism. The police generally can't do much though unless you have a particular person or people in mind, as sad as it is. I've had people write anti-Semitic messages on my sidewalk but never any idea on who.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:38 PM

4,035 posts, read 2,454,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindabrown View Post
Hi we are Hindu originally from India, right now we are living in Bayonne, NJ.
Why are you posting this in the Chicago Suburbs forum if you live in NJ?

Old 06-11-2017, 07:41 PM

oh Sorry, didn't notice that ...Thanks for pointing out

Old 06-12-2017, 12:16 PM

23,007 posts, read 35,250,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Why are you posting this in the Chicago Suburbs forum if you live in NJ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindabrown View Post
oh Sorry, didn't notice that ...Thanks for pointing out
Moderator cut: Thread has been moved to the New Jersey forum. Have a nice day and Carry On...

Old 06-12-2017, 02:20 PM

1,383 posts, read 474,879 times
Was this all in Bayonne?

Old 06-12-2017, 02:41 PM

Yes

Old 06-12-2017, 04:13 PM

389 posts, read 774,255 times
I think there's more to the neighbor than meets the eye - were your car's tires sliced while parked in front of your house or outside garage/driveway? i.e did these incidents happen whereby it COULD be the racist neighbor?

You cannot have a dialogue with these racist types. Best remedy is to ignore and move on with your life. However, it seems that this guy is hell bent on not letting you live PEACEFULLY in and around your own home; if this is the case there's 2 options first a long drawn out he-said/did she said-did civil case, document everything / record all interactions, call police for all infarctions and live with an eye on the back constantly.

The 2nd option? Move elswhere and enjoy life as its meant to be.. Sadly even in 2017 this is your best option

Old 06-12-2017, 04:28 PM

Yes, when tires flattened it was on street parking, just in front of our home/drive way.
We bought new home in December only , there is level difference between street and driveway and my car's bottom was hitting/grinding ground every time I was trying to park or pulling out from drive way, so I had decided to park in street.
Racist Neighbors got excuse , so they sliced my tire. when I talked one of the neighbor he said it's ok to slice if you don't park in your parking/drive way. I was not blocking in other's drive way, it's was public street parking just direct in front of my home. while all others neighbors also park in street. all are together, find excuse like that.
moving out is not an option because we just bought in December and what is guarantee we won't face such people at new place. this is Trmup's era.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:09 PM

4,035 posts, read 2,454,051 times
So out of curiosity I did a quick search of Bayonne, NJ and it appears to be a very diverse area? Are you like the only non white family living on this street? Seems odd that you would face such a backlash just for being Indian. I'm going to take a guess that your neighbor believes you are Muslim.

What may ease the tension, if you're not opposed to it, is mounting and flying an American flag on your home. Also, do everything possible to keep your home looking good (lawn, paint, general upkeep). Politely wave, smile and say Hi when you see them, even if they don't return the favor. Maybe do a few small unexpected favors like shovel their part of the sidewalk in the Winter.

If your neighbor is just a complete azz, none of this will help, but if he's simply a little uneasy in today's crazy world, you may be able to diffuse the situation and who knows, you may wake up one morning to find your sidewalk shoveled.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 06-12-2017 at 05:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey