Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 07:03 PM

4 posts, read 16,076 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone. I know there is a post regarding the commute to Rutherford, NJ to nyc, but that one was from 2009. A lot has changed since then, so I am hoping to get more current information regarding the travel.

I am currently residing in Queens, NY and I am considering relocating to Rutherford, NJ. My main concern is the reliability of NJ bus 190 and Rutherford rail. I need to be at work by 8:30 am to 5pm Monday to Friday and twice a month I have to be there by 8 am sharp.

Can someone, who is familiar with the area, tell me about the commute? Does the buses and trains arrive on time? What is the cost of a monthly unlimited rail ticket vs the monthly unlimited bus ticket? What is the best route washington square park from Rutherford and vice versa?

Any insight on this manner is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 09:30 PM

87,965 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolves_harem View Post
Hello, everyone. I know there is a post regarding the commute to Rutherford, NJ to nyc, but that one was from 2009. A lot has changed since then, so I am hoping to get more current information regarding the travel.

I am currently residing in Queens, NY and I am considering relocating to Rutherford, NJ. My main concern is the reliability of NJ bus 190 and Rutherford rail. I need to be at work by 8:30 am to 5pm Monday to Friday and twice a month I have to be there by 8 am sharp.

Can someone, who is familiar with the area, tell me about the commute? Does the buses and trains arrive on time? What is the cost of a monthly unlimited rail ticket vs the monthly unlimited bus ticket? What is the best route washington square park from Rutherford and vice versa?

Any insight on this manner is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
New Jersey Transit - Home will have fares and information.

Trains on that line are usually pretty reliable. Best bet is train to Hoboken, PATH to 9th Street.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:52 AM

@Mightyqueen801 Thanks for the quick reply. The link you provided me was much help with the fares. The njt website is awkward to navigate. That is the route i waa plannings on taking, but i am worried about if the train has issues.

Does the travel time on nj train from rutherford to hoboken actual 20-24 mins? Is the PAth train from hoboken to west 9th st really 10-12 mins travel time? All these numbers look amazing, however, I know to take them with a grain of salt.

Are there many delays or issues when taking the rails around 7am in thr morning?

Are the nj trains and PATH trains packed during that time? (I don't care for a seat, but I don't want to miss a train due to it being full to capacity)

If there is weather related issues (ie snow) will that cause heavy delays on the rails and buses?

Is the 190 bus a reliable alternative if I am running late or if there are significant delays on the NJ train or PATH? If not, what are the alternative routes I can take?

Old 06-12-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolves_harem View Post
@Mightyqueen801 Thanks for the quick reply. The link you provided me was much help with the fares. The njt website is awkward to navigate. That is the route i waa plannings on taking, but i am worried about if the train has issues.

Does the travel time on nj train from rutherford to hoboken actual 20-24 mins? Is the PAth train from hoboken to west 9th st really 10-12 mins travel time? All these numbers look amazing, however, I know to take them with a grain of salt.

Are there many delays or issues when taking the rails around 7am in thr morning?

Are the nj trains and PATH trains packed during that time? (I don't care for a seat, but I don't want to miss a train due to it being full to capacity)

If there is weather related issues (ie snow) will that cause heavy delays on the rails and buses?

Is the 190 bus a reliable alternative if I am running late or if there are significant delays on the NJ train or PATH? If not, what are the alternative routes I can take?
I took that train line from Ridgewood and Fair Lawn for many, many years. It was usually pretty much on schedule. There is always the chance of an incident due to weather, equipment breakdown, the occasional suicide, etc, but the majority of the time it is pretty much on schedule. NJ Transit trains with the most problems are those going into NY Penn.

The NJ transit trains are usually full, especially if you are at one of the last stops like Rutherford. Rarely are people standing on them, but it does happen. That's the tradeoff for living in one of the towns closer in to the city.. PATH will generally be crowded similar to a NYC subway.

Trains fare MUCH better in snow than buses. I don't know anything about the 190 bus. It is good to have a backup plan.

Those actual travel times sound accurate, but you may have 10 -15 minutes or so between NJT and PATH, walking down to PATH, waiting for a train, etc. Allow time for that.

As an alternative in case there is a PATH problem, there is a ferry from HOB Terminal to downtown, then catch a subway.

If you have a monthly rail ticket and there is a train problem, NJT usually allows you to use your ticket for the bus.

From where I sit, your commute sounds short and easy!

Old 06-12-2017, 10:55 AM

181 posts, read 376,385 times
If you're in Rutherford, those trains go to Hoboken. Which works for you. You will have to get the train to Hoboken, then transfer to the PATH. Once on the PATH train, you will have to get off at the 9th street station, and walk to your destination. As far as the cost, go to the NJ Transit site, and put in the schedule for Rutherford to Hoboken. It's a short trip, and I imagine that it can't be more than $150 for a monthly. Then there is the monthly for the Path. If you have to be to work by 8:30 AM, I would say be out the door by 5:30 AM That gives you wiggle room in the case of delays and whatever. Also, rail passes can be used for the bus as well. There should be enough zones on yours to get you from the Port Authority to your neck of the woods in NJ. As far as the bus goes, the reliability depends on where you live. I'm in Elizabeth and I get the 112. It's always delayed. But yet I always see plenty of 115's and 116's. You also don't have to deal with Turnpike traffic, and Rutherford is a hop skip and a jump off of Route 3. So you'll be home in no time really.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 5,085 times
I take 190 bus daily for two years. It is reliable as a back-up alternative. Normally the bus takes around 25 - 35 minutes to get to Port Authority. Once in a while it will take up to 45 minutes. You can also check the NJ transit mybus now apps to get real-time bus info and location information. That's the best feature. You can actually see the bus coming on the map.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMachina78 View Post
If you're in Rutherford, those trains go to Hoboken. Which works for you. You will have to get the train to Hoboken, then transfer to the PATH. Once on the PATH train, you will have to get off at the 9th street station, and walk to your destination. As far as the cost, go to the NJ Transit site, and put in the schedule for Rutherford to Hoboken. It's a short trip, and I imagine that it can't be more than $150 for a monthly. Then there is the monthly for the Path. If you have to be to work by 8:30 AM, I would say be out the door by 5:30 AM That gives you wiggle room in the case of delays and whatever. Also, rail passes can be used for the bus as well. There should be enough zones on yours to get you from the Port Authority to your neck of the woods in NJ. As far as the bus goes, the reliability depends on where you live. I'm in Elizabeth and I get the 112. It's always delayed. But yet I always see plenty of 115's and 116's. You also don't have to deal with Turnpike traffic, and Rutherford is a hop skip and a jump off of Route 3. So you'll be home in no time really.
They don't need three hours from Rutherford. Takes me just under two from Monmouth County to the WTC area, and that's a lot farther.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:03 PM

Thanks you all for your response. Looks like i will be taking the njt train to hoboken and the path to 9th street. I did hear that the monthly rate can be used on a bus in case of emergencies, so it's reassuring to hear it from a njt customer.

I guess my next step is to get the njt app and set up any auto alerts for delays.

One last question, if i get to Rutherford station at 6:50-7am to catch the 7:15am train, will that be enough time to get to 9th st via the path by 8:30? Google maps is telling me I'll get to the 9th st by 7:55-8:05am.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:17 PM

7,052 posts, read 19,203,309 times
*shrug*

PATH runs every 7 minutes during peak hours, so when your NJT train gets to Hoboken, give yourself 5 minutes or so to get off the train and onto the PATH platform, then hop on the next 33rd Street-bound PATH train. The ride from Hoboken to 9th Street is maybe 10 minutes. So whenever the NJT train gets to Hoboken, you should be at 9th street about 22 minutes later.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:24 PM

19,037 posts, read 25,108,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugus View Post
I take 190 bus daily for two years.
That sounds like a very long ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey