U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2017, 10:55 PM

24 posts, read 118,192 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be delivering our first baby at St. Barnabas next week. We didn't get a chance to do the hospital tour but I've been to the PET Unit a few times already so we know where to go.

Anything I should know in advance? What to bring/leave at home?

My husband wants to stay overnight. What will his sleeping arrangements be like ... bed, couch, pull out couch, chair? Should he bring anything special for himself?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 01:06 PM

458 posts, read 360,577 times
My wife delivered our first child at St. Barnabas on 4/21. Everything was top notch. All rooms will have a sleeper reclining chair. I would try to get a room with a shower in it.

I really can't think of anything that you have to bring other than your normal stuff.

The food at the hospital stinks. The hospital has wifi that you can connect to.

Congrats and best of luck.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:15 PM

6,448 posts, read 3,326,259 times
We delivered our three from St Barnabas (Livingston, NJ). Good experience but we didn't have a private room. I was commuting to and from the hospital a lot (we lived 10 mins away). The second time (twins) we had complications that required an extended stay. At that point, they were nice enough to move my wife to a room that wasn't occupied for "some" privacy.

The staff was very accommodating and they were really good with all of us during the actual Cesarean procedure. I got pictures of twin A while the umbilical was still attached... really neat. Things kinda went down hill from there so I had to step aside... only got a quick snap of twin B because things were going so fast.

During recovery, i didn't really know what to do with myself. I basically stood in the halls... along with many other fathers. Made quick chat with the other fathers, browsed internet on my phone, read books, and visit the babies to make the time go by.

There isn't much to bring except the normal stuff for overnight stay. Also, don't bother bringing in the baby carriers/carseat into the hospital. They won't allow you to put the babies in them while in their care. They insisted on the mother carrying the babies while in a wheel chair. Then I had to take one by one strap the babies into the carriers while installed in car after they were officially released. Some regulation thing... no idea why... they are designed to safely carry the babies in and out of the car. Its easier to strap them in when they are not installed int he car.

On our first child, my wife wanted to breast feed. On that account she mentioned that the staff wasn't really helpful to help her get started.... and I think at one point they used a bottle (which made it even harder to get started).

St Barnabas had a restaurant ("City Fresh" if I recall) on the first floor that I liked.... I hung out there a lot. The food in the food court wasn't bad either.

Btw... Congrats!

Old 06-25-2017, 02:46 PM

24 posts, read 118,192 times
Thanks for the replies - I actually wound up delivering (c section, unplanned) a couple days after I posted this question.

We had a private room for both L&D and the regular room. Nursing staff was incredibly nice and helpful. One nurse got me started on breastfeeding, and a hospital breastfeeding class was available but I didn't go to it.

Hospital provided toiletries (I used my own for a shower), maxi pads, peri bottle for using the toilet, disposable underwear, diapers, bulb syringe, pacifier.

Food was fine - I mostly got deli sandwiches, and the breakfast was susprisingly good. My husband got a $5 food voucher. He also slept fairly well on the pull out recliner.

We carried our daughter out in the car seat, but she was so small that they had to test her ability to breathe in it before we were allowed to take her home. I also didn't go out in a wheelchair.

We had to wait for the pediatrician to evaluate our daughter before we were released. It wound up being 4-5 hours later than we'd originally been told since he had to see a lot of other patients, so be flexible in your plans going home.

Useful items I brought: bathrobe, sleep mask, earplugs, those little toothbrushes that don't require water, Boppy pillow for holding/breastfeeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: