U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 02:07 PM

580 posts, read 361,076 times

Advertisements

LI, Westchester, NJ in that order. Great Neck has much better potential. It has lower tax than comparable towns like Scarsdale or short hills, and LIRR will have access to both Penn and Grand Central in a couple of years

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelNadal View Post
How about NYC suburban? Now I consider towns with top school district only, e.g. Short Hills, NJ; Scarsdale, NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 03:26 PM

25 posts, read 14,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
LI, Westchester, NJ in that order. Great Neck has much better potential. It has lower tax than comparable towns like Scarsdale or short hills, and LIRR will have access to both Penn and Grand Central in a couple of years
I heard that nearly 50% children in Great Neck South school district are Asian. I am afraid this will cause huge peer pressure. Perhaps Great Neck North is the better choice?

Old 06-15-2017, 03:55 PM

2,480 posts, read 856,821 times
Quote:
In those few years, many NYC properties simply doubled. My property in Queens already appreciated 200k since i bought it last summer
when I see stuff like this it makes me thing tat the outerboroughs are in a bubble. I cant for the life of me imagine why some of the increases in places that aren't 30 min or less form midtown are taking place. I know Brooklyn is like a mini Manhattan now, but when I see far out places in Queens and even Staten Island appreciating like mad it makes me think this is all just investors changing hands and someone will be left with the hot potato at some point.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:41 PM

1,958 posts, read 1,126,720 times
Yeah. They will. Personally, I'm in it for the long haul and have zero interest in whether the market crashes again or not. But nothing was solved after 2008. Ratings agencies still give crappy bonds a triple A rating, they're still packing up the same bad debt and shuffling it around. They're just not handing out as many bad loans as easily.

But just because consumer confidence is up in the housing market doesn't actually mean there's anything there. People are still going to be losing jobs to automation. Corporations are still going to be limiting payment. The middle class is still disappearing. 2009 was a great time to get into speculation. Even 2012 was still okay, but it's popping up again all around me and we're going to see the same issue happen again with hot potatoes all over the place.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:04 AM

Great Neck north will be 50% asian in 5 years any way. But you are looking for price appreciation.
A lot of asian buyers are looking at Great Neck. That is why it has better price increase potential.
you cannot have both ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelNadal View Post
I heard that nearly 50% children in Great Neck South school district are Asian. I am afraid this will cause huge peer pressure. Perhaps Great Neck North is the better choice?

Old 06-16-2017, 09:07 AM

don't know about state island. But queens are definitely undervalued. it has similar commute to Manhattan as BK, but its price is just 60% of BK. If you look at the construction frenzy happening in Long Island City, a lot of high end residential buildings, and a lot of companies relocating to LIC
you will know that in 5 years, another mini Midtown will come to QUeens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
when I see stuff like this it makes me thing tat the outerboroughs are in a bubble. I cant for the life of me imagine why some of the increases in places that aren't 30 min or less form midtown are taking place. I know Brooklyn is like a mini Manhattan now, but when I see far out places in Queens and even Staten Island appreciating like mad it makes me think this is all just investors changing hands and someone will be left with the hot potato at some point.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:13 AM

25 posts, read 14,133 times
Quote:
Great Neck north will be 50% asian in 5 years any way. But you are looking for price appreciation.
A lot of asian buyers are looking at Great Neck. That is why it has better price increase potential.
you cannot have both ways
How about Scarsdale and Short Hills compared with Great Neck? The most attractive thing of Great Neck north is its water front. However, those house near the bay is toooooo much expensive for me to afford.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:07 AM

243 posts, read 156,464 times
Ditto on appreciation...maybe 150k YoY since I bought last year in Glen Ridge.

3000 SF homes last year were 900k ask, 1mm sold. So this year, same size houses, brokers ask 1mm...and guess what, they are selling at 1.15mm. Consistently without fail. All under contract in a day. There's a lot of depth to the buyers, clearly. You're seeing a lot more renovation post sale this year compared to previous years. Like a home selling for 200k over, then the buyer immediately putting in new kitchen windows and roof.

To be honest, I think some people would bid even more if they weren't fearful of their appraisal. Putting appreciation aside, the important thing to note is that people are bidding more over the ask, plus 10k+ in mansion tax in doing so, and there is no shortage of people converting the town into 7 figure real estate. Mostly NYC, Brooklynites

Montclair about the same appreciation. West Orange Maplewood and Millburn are even crazier. Zillow (hate Zillow, but still) has some of these towns at 10-15% increases YoY

You kind of missed the boat on these towns. I'd focus on more untapped niche areas with good access to nyc. Queens has a lot of run left in it. Sunnyside comes to mind. Follow the millennials

I would not invest in Scarsdale. It is already tapped out and somewhat declining. Many investors got in, bought up quarter plots for 1.5ish, demoed, rebuilt oversized homes, and try to flip for 3 to 4mm. They aren't selling. Price reductions, and footing a 50k tax bill is no bueno for the investors. The prospect is not there as many had hoped. Same is happening in Rye

Last edited by JaRuss01; 06-17-2017 at 06:41 AM..

Old 06-17-2017, 07:10 PM

1,958 posts, read 1,126,720 times
Newark has incredible appreciation potential. Might be a while.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:48 PM

43,289 posts, read 42,869,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
try lucky pony in the 5th at belmont.

Your house isn't an investment. It's a house. If it increases in value when you go to sell it, you got lucky. But buy it because it's the right house at the right place for your needs. Invest in the stock market if you want to make money, not your house.
+1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey