U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 09:07 AM

195 posts, read 113,310 times

Advertisements

So you live in a good school district. Is it really worth the oppressive property taxes? Why not sell and immediately move to Florida when the kids go off to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 09:46 AM

1,349 posts, read 2,921,578 times
Default Run Toto, Run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedguy2 View Post
So you live in a good school district. Is it really worth the oppressive property taxes? Why not sell and immediately move to Florida when the kids go off to college.
Some people do! But your question reduces the issue of where to reside as merely one of property tax.
For a different perspective click your heels together and do like Dorothy "There's no place like home."

Old 06-14-2017, 09:55 AM

20,454 posts, read 24,878,333 times
Quote:
you can move to florida at that point but is that where your family and friends will be?

Old 06-14-2017, 10:06 AM

1,855 posts, read 1,035,276 times
Some people find living in Oklahoma appealing. Some people find raisins appealing. Some people find the color blue appealing.

You may not. But there's rarely ever a single reason why a house is appealing. They might like the amenities, they might like the location, they might like the fact that it's down the street from their parents, they might like the change of seasons, they might like having nice roads and snow plows and great schools.

Just say it's not for you or that you can't afford it and move on instead of asking others to justify their choices.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:34 PM

216 posts, read 138,338 times
Just to play devils advocate - Why do people pay 3.5% NYC tax and plus private tuition per child to live in a box in the city? There are a line of people expanding outwards from the city to the tri state area that will happily pay that 20k tax a year for all children combined, sans NYC income tax.

...and many do move when kids are out of school...

Old 06-14-2017, 05:07 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,894,721 times
It's usually more like 10k in property taxes for most people first off. Not to mention that Florida does have property taxes as well (even if they are cheaper).

Secondly there is usually employment and family/friends keeping people in the area. It's not like most people retire immediately after kids graduate HS.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:06 PM

863 posts, read 234,362 times
Have a job
Need a decent school close enough to job
Need a house to go to school

I don't think it's more complicated than that.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:00 PM

28 posts, read 8,490 times
People spend the money because it excludes those they feel are undesirable, even if they don't realize it.

Those taxes filter out people who are more likely to commit crime, more likely to disrupt the schools, and less likely to keep up with their property. By no means am I saying that poor people all commit crime, yield poor students, or let their homes and lawns degrade but the trend is obvious.

There's a reason Short Hills or Millburn isn't Newark.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:29 AM

223 posts, read 89,826 times
Quote:
Considering the fact that NJ has the highest property taxes and yet is still the most densely populated state in the United States, the answer is obviously yes for a lot of people. If it's not a yes for you, then move to a state with minimal property taxes like west Virginia or Mississippi. When you do, you'll be quickly reminded that you get what you pay for in this world. I totally plan to move to a lower cost, warmer state when I retire - but I'm not educating my kid in such states, nor am I taking a huge pay cut to live there now in my prime earning years. I've got a comfortable retirement and a college education to fund - and I'm funding them on a northeast salary I can't replicate in the south.

For those that stay in the area even after the kids are grown, I suspect they want to remain near family, friends, and the major northeast urban centers that other areas of country can't match. There is a reason why that despite the expense, the northeast remains the most populated part of the country you know. It's not a coincidence.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:29 PM

2,801 posts, read 1,273,528 times
Quote:
People who live in NJ work in NJ and NYC. A drive from Florida would be too far to get to work in the same day.

Florida is like a third-world country. It has high crime and the educational attainment of the population is much lower than NJ. You get what you pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey