Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 01:41 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Like you say, it's legal to move to NJ with firearms, no permits required (though good luck if you happen to get pulled over with the guns unloaded in your car in a separate locked compartment; you will probably beat the rap but you'll still likely get arrested and you'll never get the guns back). But then you're stuck because to bring them anywhere to shoot, or to buy ammo, you need a permit. And you can't get a permit without getting 2 adult non-relatives to vouch for you, and where the hell are you going to find 2 adult non-relatives who aren't virulently anti-gun to vouch for you in NJ? I've been here for years and I know only one person I could get to vouch for me, so no guns for me.
Would you need the permit to take it to a gun/hunting club with a private range? Maybe not, but you'd better know the answer before you leave home.

You'd have to be pulled over for something pretty serious for an officer to start asking about weapons and searching your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
You better have a nj FID if you intend to transport long guns to hunting area or range. the address on the FID must be an exact match on your drivers license...
You can buy a long gun, ammunition, and a hunting license and you need a FID to drive to the area where you're going to hunt? Why?

Old 06-17-2017, 02:35 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You can buy a long gun, ammunition, and a hunting license and you need a FID to drive to the area where you're going to hunt? Why?
Because the whole point of NJ firearms laws is to make it so risky and difficult to do anything with firearms that people don't.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:07 PM

109 posts, read 125,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Meh. We truly don't have a gun culture and I like it that way. I can't imagine walking into a fast food place or museum or park or something and seeing some guy openly carrying. It's just weird and unnecessary to me.

The only purpose I can see for having guns, personally, is for protection in my own home or on my property. I do wish NJ wasn't so strict on those cases. I feel like I should be able to shoot and kill an intruder if I feel threatened, whether his or her intention was to just rob me (as if that's not a big deal) or kill me. But as far as openly carrying or even concealed carrying... why? I don't get it. But then again, like I said, we don't have that "gun culture" so it makes sense that I don't get it. Are there instances where lives could be saved thanks to open/concealed carry? Sure, but there are also countless ways that could go wrong and more people could get hurt. Outside the cities, a lot of NJ tends to be extremely safe and I really see no need for citizens to walk around carrying. I do recall a NJ resident who moved to NC telling us here on CD that he feels the need to carry while walking his dog where he lives. I have never felt that need, or felt unsafe just walking around my suburban neighborhood. IIRC a lot of people here agreed. Different cultures, I guess, different places.

I also think that in those instances you cited, the guy going from ME to TX and the guy whose flight landed here instead of elsewhere, we also shouldn't be so strict. Especially knowing how many illegal guns we have in the hands of gangs in our cities. Let's focus our efforts on stopping those bag guys and taking the guns from their hands rather than arresting the people who basically accidentally bring their guns here as they're traveling through, unaware of the laws (though people should always be aware of the laws in each state they'll be traveling to when it comes to guns).

Cuba is just a boat ride away, they don't like their citizens owning scary guns either

Old 06-17-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Because the whole point of NJ firearms laws is to make it so risky and difficult to do anything with firearms that people don't.
It sounds that way, but is that true? Why the FID? You don't need one to purchase the gun.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:12 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,274,358 times
I'm pretty sure you don't need the FID to transport to and from a range or other approved location (gunsmith, etc). It's required that you go directly to and from the range, gunsmith, etc. with no in-between stops, though, and there are requirements about keeping the guns and any ammo separate. Ask at the NJ gun forums. I'm positive you don't need to register any guns you bring with you during your move. There's no practical allowance for concealed carry, since NJ never thinks anything meets their definition of "need". There was some talk about the "need" requirement being revamped after Carol Browne was killed, but nothing came of it. I'm not sure it even got officials to process the FID card in 30 days like they're supposed to. Three to six months is common.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:34 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_inquisition View Post
Cuba is just a boat ride away, they don't like their citizens owning scary guns either
What an intelligent response.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:51 PM

That's what I thought. FID will always take longer than 30 days from what I've heard. Not sure how that's legal, but it seems to happen all of the time.

I don't have a dog in this fight , because I've lived in PA for half of my life. The land of the free, and the home of the brave.

I still don't get the gun hysteria in NY and NJ. If you are a registered gun owner, where's the problem?

Old 06-17-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Meh. We truly don't have a gun culture and I like it that way. I can't imagine walking into a fast food place or museum or park or something and seeing some guy openly carrying. It's just weird and unnecessary to me.

The only purpose I can see for having guns, personally, is for protection in my own home or on my property. I do wish NJ wasn't so strict on those cases. I feel like I should be able to shoot and kill an intruder if I feel threatened, whether his or her intention was to just rob me (as if that's not a big deal) or kill me. But as far as openly carrying or even concealed carrying... why? I don't get it. But then again, like I said, we don't have that "gun culture" so it makes sense that I don't get it. Are there instances where lives could be saved thanks to open/concealed carry? Sure, but there are also countless ways that could go wrong and more people could get hurt. Outside the cities, a lot of NJ tends to be extremely safe and I really see no need for citizens to walk around carrying. I do recall a NJ resident who moved to NC telling us here on CD that he feels the need to carry while walking his dog where he lives. I have never felt that need, or felt unsafe just walking around my suburban neighborhood. IIRC a lot of people here agreed. Different cultures, I guess, different places.

I also think that in those instances you cited, the guy going from ME to TX and the guy whose flight landed here instead of elsewhere, we also shouldn't be so strict. Especially knowing how many illegal guns we have in the hands of gangs in our cities. Let's focus our efforts on stopping those bag guys and taking the guns from their hands rather than arresting the people who basically accidentally bring their guns here as they're traveling through, unaware of the laws (though people should always be aware of the laws in each state they'll be traveling to when it comes to guns).
You do have a gun culture in New Jersey, just not in your town or area. At least not that you see. There are plenty of LEOs and retired, military and retired, and people from other states moving in. None of them own a gun?

Northwestern and Southern New Jersey aren't completely hemmed up. There are still places where you can be alone in the woods all day. I get that you don't do that, but it doesn't represent the state.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:08 AM

312 posts, read 685,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It sounds that way, but is that true? Why the FID? You don't need one to purchase the gun.
You do need an FID card to purchase a gun in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey