U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2017, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Beverly Hills, CA
25 posts, read 16,609 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

I just know that if I want to move to NY with firearms, I will have to keep the firearms out of NY at first, live in NY for 6 months, then apply to NY handgun permit which may take 1 year. Meanwhile I need to transfer my own gun to a NY FFL, only after I get NY handgun permit, I can have my handgun back. This process sounds ridiculous.

People in NJ need firearm id to purchase firearms. But nothing is needed to possess or transport firearms legally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2017, 09:37 PM
 
8,815 posts, read 12,303,913 times
Reputation: 8422
Like you say, it's legal to move to NJ with firearms, no permits required (though good luck if you happen to get pulled over with the guns unloaded in your car in a separate locked compartment; you will probably beat the rap but you'll still likely get arrested and you'll never get the guns back). But then you're stuck because to bring them anywhere to shoot, or to buy ammo, you need a permit. And you can't get a permit without getting 2 adult non-relatives to vouch for you, and where the hell are you going to find 2 adult non-relatives who aren't virulently anti-gun to vouch for you in NJ? I've been here for years and I know only one person I could get to vouch for me, so no guns for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Beverly Hills, CA
25 posts, read 16,609 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Like you say, it's legal to move to NJ with firearms, no permits required (though good luck if you happen to get pulled over with the guns unloaded in your car in a separate locked compartment; you will probably beat the rap but you'll still likely get arrested and you'll never get the guns back). But then you're stuck because to bring them anywhere to shoot, or to buy ammo, you need a permit. And you can't get a permit without getting 2 adult non-relatives to vouch for you, and where the hell are you going to find 2 adult non-relatives who aren't virulently anti-gun to vouch for you in NJ? I've been here for years and I know only one person I could get to vouch for me, so no guns for me.
But in NY, many counties require 4 references who must be in the same county and know you for at least one year. It seems in NJ those towns don't require the references come from the same town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2017, 10:58 PM
 
8,815 posts, read 12,303,913 times
Reputation: 8422
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelNadal View Post
But in NY, many counties require 4 references who must be in the same county and know you for at least one year. It seems in NJ those towns don't require the references come from the same town.
The requirement in NJ is by the state, not by the county, so there's no "same town" requirement. Still blatantly unconstitutional, but neither NY nor NJ cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2017, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Springfield, NJ
272 posts, read 440,471 times
Reputation: 145
You don't even need the references to be in NJ. My 2 references were from PA and NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2017, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Springfield, NJ
272 posts, read 440,471 times
Reputation: 145
If you want to shoot long guns in NJ, you don't need the Firearms ID card. You don't need it to buy long gun ammo either. I know you need one to buy pistol ammo, but I don't know if you need the ID card to fire the pistols you already own at the range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2017, 10:30 AM
 
Location: NJ
14,243 posts, read 9,525,784 times
Reputation: 8902
You better have a nj FID if you intend to transport long guns to hunting area or range. the address on the FID must be an exact match on your drivers license


Pistols, you better have your FID and permit to purchase copy with you when you transport if you are from NJ. No clue what docs if any you need if you move from out of state or a resident with a pistol legally owned before the permit process was implemented.


Coming from out of state, there is no requirement in NJ to register guns.


Be aware some guns are illegal in NJ that are legal elsewhere


NJ state police is your final word on whats legal.


check out the news stories about activist Nj judges, the guy moving from maine to texas with guns legal in those states pulled over in readington twp to sleep and was arrested and sentenced. then the guy transporting firearms legally that was tossed in jail and finally pardoned by Christie who in an unprecedented move did not renew the judges tenure because of his activism. Better be concerned with who is the next governor.


The the seller whos flight was diverted to newark, nj on the way to PA from a western state was delayed, no fault of his, and then arrested for having guns he declared.


NJ does what it can to discourage gun ownership, the thugs in newark, trenton and camden who do most of the daily killing are of course exempt from strict Nj gun laws.


Black bears and bald eagles are more common in Nj than permits to carry. The chance of getting a permit to carry is as rare as the imaginary mountain lions that roam the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2017, 12:19 PM
 
2,257 posts, read 1,285,061 times
Reputation: 2235
Be very careful in NJ when dealing with firearms.

Assault Firearms and Magazine Capacity[edit]
Firearms classed as "assault firearms" but acquired before May 1, 1990 and registered with the state are legal to possess. Police officers may possess assault weapons for duty purposes and may possess personal assault weapons with recommendation by their agency. FFLs are also allowed to possess "assault firearms."

Assault Firearm Feature Criteria[edit]
Under New Jersey law, a firearm is classified as an "assault firearm" if it meets the following criteria:[18]

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and at least two of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher mount
Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and at least two of the following:
Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.
Semi-automatic shotguns with one of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
A magazine capacity exceeding six rounds
Banned Manufacturers, Models, and Types[edit]
The following manufacturers, models, and types are namingly banned:[19]

Armalite AR-180 type
Australian Automatic Arms SAR
Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms
Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic firearms
Bushmaster Assault Rifle
Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900
CETME G3
Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 type
Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series (Colt Match Target Rifle are allowed)
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2, AR 100 types
Demro TAC-1 carbine type
Encom MP-9 and MP-45 carbine types
FAMAS MAS223 types
FN-FAL, FN-LAR, or FN-FNC type semi-automatic firearms
Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12 shotguns
G3SA type
Galil type Heckler and Koch HK91, HK93, HK94, MP5, PSG-1
Intratec TEC 9 and 22 semi-automatic firearms
M1 carbine type
M14S type (M1a's are allowed)
MAC 10, MAC 11, MAC 11-9mm carbine type firearms
PJK M-68 carbine type
Plainfield Machine Company Carbine
Ruger K-Mini-14/5F and Mini-14/5RF
SIG AMT, SIG 550SP, SIG 551SP, SIG PE-57 types
SKS with detachable magazine type
Spectre Auto carbine type
Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48 type
Sterling MK-6, MK-7 and SAR types
Steyr A.U.G. semi-automatic firearms
USAS 12 semi-automatic type shotgun
Uzi type semi-automatic firearms
Valmet M62, M71S, M76, or M78 type semi-automatic firearms
Weaver Arm Nighthawk

Magazine Capacity[edit]
In New Jersey, it is illegal to possess any magazine that is capable of accepting more than 15 rounds for rifles/pistols and 6 rounds for semi-automatic shotguns. Police officers may possess these magazines for both personal and official purposes. FFLs may also possess these magazines.[20]


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_New_Jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2017, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Beverly Hills, CA
25 posts, read 16,609 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post
You don't even need the references to be in NJ. My 2 references were from PA and NY.
Yes. The requirement (references must be in county and known for at least 1 year) in most counties of NY makes it very difficult to get the handgun permit within the first two years after you move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2017, 09:12 AM
 
10,759 posts, read 8,118,139 times
Reputation: 13501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
You better have a nj FID if you intend to transport long guns to hunting area or range. the address on the FID must be an exact match on your drivers license


Pistols, you better have your FID and permit to purchase copy with you when you transport if you are from NJ. No clue what docs if any you need if you move from out of state or a resident with a pistol legally owned before the permit process was implemented.


Coming from out of state, there is no requirement in NJ to register guns.


Be aware some guns are illegal in NJ that are legal elsewhere


NJ state police is your final word on whats legal.


check out the news stories about activist Nj judges, the guy moving from maine to texas with guns legal in those states pulled over in readington twp to sleep and was arrested and sentenced. then the guy transporting firearms legally that was tossed in jail and finally pardoned by Christie who in an unprecedented move did not renew the judges tenure because of his activism. Better be concerned with who is the next governor.


The the seller whos flight was diverted to newark, nj on the way to PA from a western state was delayed, no fault of his, and then arrested for having guns he declared.


NJ does what it can to discourage gun ownership, the thugs in newark, trenton and camden who do most of the daily killing are of course exempt from strict Nj gun laws.


Black bears and bald eagles are more common in Nj than permits to carry. The chance of getting a permit to carry is as rare as the imaginary mountain lions that roam the state.
Meh. We truly don't have a gun culture and I like it that way. I can't imagine walking into a fast food place or museum or park or something and seeing some guy openly carrying. It's just weird and unnecessary to me.

The only purpose I can see for having guns, personally, is for protection in my own home or on my property. I do wish NJ wasn't so strict on those cases. I feel like I should be able to shoot and kill an intruder if I feel threatened, whether his or her intention was to just rob me (as if that's not a big deal) or kill me. But as far as openly carrying or even concealed carrying... why? I don't get it. But then again, like I said, we don't have that "gun culture" so it makes sense that I don't get it. Are there instances where lives could be saved thanks to open/concealed carry? Sure, but there are also countless ways that could go wrong and more people could get hurt. Outside the cities, a lot of NJ tends to be extremely safe and I really see no need for citizens to walk around carrying. I do recall a NJ resident who moved to NC telling us here on CD that he feels the need to carry while walking his dog where he lives. I have never felt that need, or felt unsafe just walking around my suburban neighborhood. IIRC a lot of people here agreed. Different cultures, I guess, different places.

I also think that in those instances you cited, the guy going from ME to TX and the guy whose flight landed here instead of elsewhere, we also shouldn't be so strict. Especially knowing how many illegal guns we have in the hands of gangs in our cities. Let's focus our efforts on stopping those bag guys and taking the guns from their hands rather than arresting the people who basically accidentally bring their guns here as they're traveling through, unaware of the laws (though people should always be aware of the laws in each state they'll be traveling to when it comes to guns).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top