U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 09:39 AM

5 posts, read 281 times

Advertisements

Hi There,

Im new to NJ and I am close to receiving an offer from a company up in Hackensack. I currently live in Old Bridge (Texas road/route 9). Does anyone do the drive?

Im anticipating between 1.2-1.7 hours each way. Sound about right? It looks like Turnpike all the way up is best. I would be happy taking a train/bus but I dont believe there is any way to do it.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 05:28 PM

4,943 posts, read 10,505,212 times
Outside of commuting hours it looks more like one hour, but first place to look is here, and note options for turning on traffic layers and selectiing time of day and modes, as in yes you could take transit but more like 2 1/2 hrs since you prob go into the city and back out, etc.:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Texa...25!3e0!5m1!1e1

Old 06-15-2017, 07:44 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,007,716 times
Ugh. Talk about your commute nightmare. All the pain of dealing with everyone going into the city via both tunnels and the GWB.

You might want to take a sick day one morning and just do the drive and see if it makes you want to ram your car into the guardrail.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:51 PM

STill a commute like that is often less painful than having to squeeze under a river twice a day, and often quicker. And door to door often beats waiting for this that and the other thing. Plus its in America, you don't have to go to new York.

Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,007,716 times
No, my point is that you're still having to deal with all of those people at the three busiest river crossings at the worst time of day. That drive would be okay even by 10:30 or so, but not at 8.

Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM

5 posts, read 281 times
Thanks all. Im going in for an interview and have scheduled it so that I can test the commute. The other day I set Wayze on at 730 and it said an hour 15 min which I find hard to believe. I just had a chat with them and we agreed that if it worked I would work at home 2/3 days a week which I guess makes it better

Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM

3,277 posts, read 7,197,771 times
Why did you choose to live in Old Bridge? Are you able to move closer if you accept the job?

Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

If your waze or other mapping shows that i believe because hopefully the majority of the time the main road might not be screwed up. Also keep in mind to develop alternatives say if the gsp shows all red or is the old bumper to bumper you are familiar with other roads.
With no traffic its prob less time I worked in Clifton years ago, depends on traffic.

Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM

5 posts, read 281 times
We found a great place thats near family, worked for our budget and was fair to both our current commutes. We are just about to have a baby so moving is not an option right now. I have the option of GSP or TPK so if one is jammed up I can try the other. I think 2 days commute would be acceptable for the extra salary thats on the table. I just have to get them to agree.

Old Today, 06:56 AM

2,001 posts, read 1,531,874 times
I have an office in Fair Lawn and plenty of people who work there live south of Old Bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey