U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 08:57 PM
Gup Gup started this thread

81 posts, read 63,756 times

Advertisements

We were initially looking at BRidge but slowly realizing the commute into Staten Island would be killer. CAn someone compare both towns? Commute into SI would be approx 20mins less each way from Holmdel. From research, it appears Holmdel schools are not as good as BRidge. Thoughts on pros/cons of each town? We are looking at the newer Holmdel Reserve community with new homes. Nothing like this in BRidge. Are taxes comparable in both townS? Any flood zones in Holmdel? Appreciate all the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM

426 posts, read 177,673 times
Holmdel is an easier commute to SI, especially the south shore of SI. Both towns are upscale, both have good schools. Holmdel seems to be busier and more congested and yes you will be able to get newer homes for the most part in Holmdel as opposed to Basking Ridge. Not sure about Basking Ridge taxes but Holmdels are high, most affluent towns in NJ have very high taxes so I imagine Basking Ridges are high as well. No info on the flooding.

Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

20,387 posts, read 24,729,403 times
i dont know anything about basking ridge, so i cant compare.

the SI commute from holmdel is going to be pretty sweet. you would want to try to get a house close to exit 114 if you can.

schools are highly regarded and everyone i know is happy with them. i am so far, i have 1 child that just finished 1st grade (other isnt old enough yet).

i believe our property tax rate is "relatively low" but it is nj and the houses are expensive so property taxes will be high.

i dont believe flood is a particular concern (but i am not sure). the proximity to water will give you a bit of a hard time when it comes to getting homeowners insurance, but not that big of a deal.

i am not sure what madbach is referring to when he says holmdel is congested. i have never had an issue getting around locally.

Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM
Gup Gup started this thread

81 posts, read 63,756 times
The commute is def better. Thanks for chiming in CaptainNJ. Any thoughts on on The Reserve at Holmdel community and Toll Brothers construction quality, satisfaction? Homes are expensive, but not sure if one will come across another opportunity like this to customize your home

Old Today, 04:39 PM

20,387 posts, read 24,729,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gup View Post
The commute is def better. Thanks for chiming in CaptainNJ. Any thoughts on on The Reserve at Holmdel community and Toll Brothers construction quality, satisfaction? Homes are expensive, but not sure if one will come across another opportunity like this to customize your home
we did meet with the salespeople at holmdel reserve and went to the design center in the menlo park mall. i think from a financial perspective you are paying a very high price per square foot and you would be in trouble if you were going to sell any time soon. i know someone in a new community in middletown who just took a 250k hit 3 years after being the first buyer. its my understanding that generally the quality of the houses are good and you should be happy with the house and very happy with the location. i would imagine it will be a very nice place to live.

for me, the customization was too limited. we like modern styles and thats not the homes there and the interior options are limited for us. my wife had a fit when she saw her only choices for stair things (balusters?). plus, you everything is numbered for the level you get and you start pretty low so you will pay extra for just about everything. oh and if you dont like something, they tell you that you can choose their cheapest option then tear it out and redo afterwards. i didnt like that concept. so get ready to feel like you are getting financially screwed. but if you can handle that, you should be happy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: