U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 02:04 PM

915 posts, read 2,348,024 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone -- I was hoping to get some recommendations for a quality, reliable moving company. First, it is a bit of short notice, under 30 days. Second, I want to have them pack some contents for me, if possible. Third, everything is going to storage.

That said, would a local moving company be my best bet for reliability and dependability? Local, privately owned? That as opposed to a "national" chain or something. I don't know a lot about movers. I don't want to get ripped off with all the horror stories you hear about.

Any advice? Thank you very much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 02:24 PM

897 posts, read 2,036,901 times
I need exactly the same advice, although I have a longer window (approximately 75-100 days) and need to move the contents to a new home. I have always moved myself but I am no longer able to do so. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:32 PM

268 posts, read 429,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
Hello everyone -- I was hoping to get some recommendations for a quality, reliable moving company. First, it is a bit of short notice, under 30 days. Second, I want to have them pack some contents for me, if possible. Third, everything is going to storage.

That said, would a local moving company be my best bet for reliability and dependability? Local, privately owned? That as opposed to a "national" chain or something. I don't know a lot about movers. I don't want to get ripped off with all the horror stories you hear about.

We used this company, and they did well.

Moving Company | Jersey City, NJ

We packed and moved most of small things, and they moved big things, like furniture. They were reasonably priced too.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:28 PM

5,834 posts, read 14,006,953 times
I've heard great reviews of L&L Movers in Hoboken from a couple of people. Unfortunately their popularity means they may not be available with short notice.

One trick may be to rent a truck from U-Haul online, and then "add on" moving "helpers" when you check out. When you do that, you can scroll through a list of local movers, see their capabilities (some help pack, some are licensed to drive the truck for you, others will just help you load/unload the truck), and you can see their cost and customer reviews. Then just pick one that meets your needs. The mover should call you to confirm within a couple of days after you check out.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:31 PM

1,170 posts, read 512,290 times
Quote:

You don't say where you are, I live in Wayne, many people that live near me have used Wayne Moving and Storage.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I am in Mahwah.

I believe June/July are the busiest months for moving, so my fear is that most movers will be booked. I called one and they are in fact booked through end of July.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I've heard great reviews of L&L Movers in Hoboken from a couple of people. Unfortunately their popularity means they may not be available with short notice.

One trick may be to rent a truck from U-Haul online, and then "add on" moving "helpers" when you check out. When you do that, you can scroll through a list of local movers, see their capabilities (some help pack, some are licensed to drive the truck for you, others will just help you load/unload the truck), and you can see their cost and customer reviews. Then just pick one that meets your needs. The mover should call you to confirm within a couple of days after you check out.
Thank you very much for the idea...have you ever tried this? Know anyone who has? Sounds like it might be a good/feasible option. No?

Old 06-17-2017, 09:37 AM

18 posts, read 4,597 times
Quote:
Thank you very much for the idea...have you ever tried this? Know anyone who has? Sounds like it might be a good/feasible option. No?
Never tried hiring their movers, but have rented from U-Haul many times. Don't be surprised when you show up to pick the truck and they tell you to go to Monroe or Woodbridge or some other faraway location to get it. They've pulled this on us a lot, even with a confirmed pick-up location.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:24 AM

376 posts, read 259,114 times
Optimum Moving. They are out of Elmwood Park. They did my move from Washington Twp. to North Carolina and were EXCELLENT. They don't sub out, the truck they load is the truck they unload. Nice guys, great response. I really highly recommend them.

Moving Company NJ | White Glove Movers | Optimum Moving

https://www.yelp.com/biz/optimum-moving-elmwood-park-3

(My Yelp review is under "J.C.".)

Old 06-17-2017, 12:33 PM

7,276 posts, read 10,462,379 times
Call Craig Sacco from Chatham Moving. Family business for 100 years.

Chatham Moving & Storage | Morris Township, Harding, Morristown NJ

Tell him Mark from the bank recommended you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey