Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 02:54 PM

6 posts, read 6,740 times

Advertisements

Hello all

New to city-data. I've visited different parts of Jersey a few times in my life, however I don't remember much. My first request would be if someone would please help me understand what part of New Jersey is between:
Newark, Delaware and South Plainfield, New Jersey???????????
On Google Maps, I literally clicked on what seemed to be the "middle" and 'Westampton Township' popped up. Does this sound right? Is there anything else in the 'middle'?
We would like to be in the middle of those two locations so that my husband can drive (weekdays) to Newark, Delaware and so that I can drive (weekdays) to South Plainfield, New Jersey.
After I figure out the "middle", I would like to know the "nice" areas for rent there. We're currently renting a townhome in Northern Delaware. Our current neighborhood is diverse, safe, clean, family/child friendly. We're wealthy and willing to pay more for the same circumstance.

Next would be to figure out the driving time between the two areas for both my husband and I. We'll be driving and would prefer a commute of 1 hour or less. So if you can provide information on traffic, that would be great.

Thanks is advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 04:47 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerInThisWorld View Post
Hello all

New to city-data. I've visited different parts of Jersey a few times in my life, however I don't remember much. My first request would be if someone would please help me understand what part of New Jersey is between:
Newark, Delaware and South Plainfield, New Jersey???????????
On Google Maps, I literally clicked on what seemed to be the "middle" and 'Westampton Township' popped up. Does this sound right? Is there anything else in the 'middle'?
We would like to be in the middle of those two locations so that my husband can drive (weekdays) to Newark, Delaware and so that I can drive (weekdays) to South Plainfield, New Jersey.
After I figure out the "middle", I would like to know the "nice" areas for rent there. We're currently renting a townhome in Northern Delaware. Our current neighborhood is diverse, safe, clean, family/child friendly. We're wealthy and willing to pay more for the same circumstance.

Next would be to figure out the driving time between the two areas for both my husband and I. We'll be driving and would prefer a commute of 1 hour or less. So if you can provide information on traffic, that would be great.

Thanks is advance!
You really should include the info in the sticky, especially budget. Princeton is going to be the "nicest" town, along the 95 corridor but it is definitely closer to South Plainfield.

More towards the "middle" would be a really cute, historic town called Allentown, NJ. Has a nice walking downtown area, historic homes, good schools etc.

Distance between Newark DE and South Plainfield, is 120 mi, so unless you are plaining to live on 95 you are looking at longer than a one hour commute likely for both of you. The 95 corridor is one of the most traveled roads in the entire country, there is going to be traffic, lots of it and if you are traveling during typical rush hour, it will actually be in both directions.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! Sounds like the commute will be crazy though.......

Old 06-18-2017, 09:42 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,584,927 times
Only on a good day with NO traffic would that be an hour each way for EACH of you, and only if you started close to a major highway midway.

You do have usual traffic of everyone diving North, although most people do not drive into NYC each day since parking and tolls and traffic take too much, and similar going South towards Philly.

A good thing is you have several different major highways,,,

NJ never completed the original I-95 so you have a loop that goes through Philly and on the NJ side you have I-295 and also the New Jersey Turnpike,,, they do all come back together and also there is an active project to connect the NJ Pike section of I-95 to I-95 at a new interchange under construct in PA.

That's been dragging on for decades but finally "pedal to the metal" being built.
Gives you alternates BUT still depending on where you are starting from I would venture to guesstimate more like an hour and 15 or 30 min most days,,,

for each of you from midway

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Newa...01!2m1!2b1!3e0

Old 06-18-2017, 10:36 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,540 times
Choosing somewhere in the middle will leave you both miserable at those distances. I recommend if possible having one of you look for a new job near where the other works and making commutes doable for both of you.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:51 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,616 times
There are 111 miles between those two locations.

Let's say that you find the perfect house at the midpoint and are willing to suffer the commutes. One dealing with Philadelphia traffic every day and the other dealing with northern NJ traffic, let's say about 90 minutes of each, which isn't too excessive when talking about 55.5 miles in the crowded Northeast Corridor region.

Now, what about the kids. Because you say "family friendly," which means if you don't have them, you're thinking about them. So, in order to be at work at 9:30 you need to drop them off somewhere at 8. But school doesn't start until 8:35 where I live. And then you're headed out at 6, getting home at 7:30. Our aftercare program picks them up but we have to get them by 6. And then there's the concern if one of them gets sick or needs to be picked up early. You're both 60-90 minutes away.

One of you needs to look into a different job location. This is a huge commute for both of you or a terrible, terrible commute for only one.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:01 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Let's say that you find the perfect house at the midpoint and are willing to suffer the commutes. One dealing with Philadelphia traffic every day and the other dealing with northern NJ traffic, let's say about 90 minutes of each, which isn't too excessive when talking about 55.5 miles in the crowded Northeast Corridor region.

One of you needs to look into a different job location. This is a huge commute for both of you or a terrible, terrible commute for only one.
I had very similar thoughts. In addition to the "child factor", there is the reality that when the weather is inclement, those 55 mile commutes would take much longer than 90 minutes.

On a rainy day, one has to assume that it could take well over two hours to travel 55 miles, and when it snows those commutes will be a minimum of three hours. Even road construction or the frequent occurrence of accidents will add significantly to the travel time.

I think that one or both of these people could reach an emotional breaking point within a few weeks from those hellish commutes.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:59 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
That can be anywhere in South Jersey or Central Jersey. For use Jerseyans, that is a large distance.

But you may as well live near Killadelphia. It is cheaper than closer to North Jersey and has all the amenities.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:12 PM

Thanks everyone! We've decided not to move to NJ because I have other offers in other states and we're not willing to deal with the commute. Thanks for the info!

Old 06-20-2017, 08:05 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,616 times
Best of luck with wherever you end up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey