U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 06:41 AM

37 posts, read 13,986 times

Advertisements

You have a two ways of going about it.

You can move out and ask for the deposit. Forget about it if she refuses.
But I'm suprised your husband didn't care to get it back when he moved out as that was the end of his lease, so it sounds like she has over-held the deposit.

You can not pay rent last month and move out and call it even.
I'm not sure the legalities of this, but it looks like you have nothing on paper where you owe her any rent, so I don't think she has any basis to come after you. Worst case is she can come after your husband if that lease is active (if she refused to let him resign then I'm guessing it is not, but that's just a non-lawyer's guess).

I would go route#2 if I were you. If she is that terrible of a person, this would ensure she doesn't end up stealing from you (which she likely will based on her description) and I think the risk to you is very low (worst case she brings you to small claims court, forges documents, and you owe her the month rent you skipped).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 09:39 AM

93 posts, read 34,024 times
OP,

There's a loophole that might help with your situation, one I've used and recommended to friends in similar situations, concerned about getting their deposits back.

The Rent Security Deposit Act requires the landlord put your security deposit in a separate bank account that pays interest. The landlord must tell you in writing the name and address of the bank where the deposit is being kept, the amount of the deposit, the type of deposit, and the current interest rate for that account.

This notice must be given to the tenant in writing within 30 days after the tenant gives the deposit to the landlord. The law says that the landlord must also give the notice not just within 30 days of getting it from the tenant, but every year at the time the landlord pays the interest to the tenant.

I've yet to hear of a landlord that actually does this. Failure of the landlord to comply with the RSDA in whole or in part triggers your options to request the landlord use the deposit (plus interest) as rent without the need to replenish the deposit at any future time.

For a larger explanation of your rights, and the Code(s) relevant to your situation, read more here:
LSNJLAW - Understanding Your Security Deposit

Side note: It's possible that this may not apply in an owner-occupied situation but the landlord likely doesn't know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey