U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 02:08 PM

2,512 posts, read 1,328,722 times

Advertisements

I'm just saying what I would do.

Moving from a lower COL area to North Jersey with a salary in the low 100s is not something I would do.
This is assuming that the current job is stable in the previous area of course.

The only exception would be is if there are more companies here in her husband's industry. That could mean increased economic opportunity in the future, if he can perhaps move from company to company over the years. But then I would look at it as an investment in the future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 11:02 AM

123 posts, read 88,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha7V View Post
Right now we have $102,000. We prefer modest homes near nice areas with lots to do. We don't like to live flashy with fancy cars and clothes but spend money on experiences. Are the B schools still decent? I'm just outside of Detroit and there are many schools I would never send my kids too. I can't imagine spending $500k on a house. I don't even know doctors with homes that expensive here.
Moving from Detroit area to NJ, your standard of life will take a big dip (unless you go to Camden or some other crappy town). Probably even your quality of life will go downhill. Yes, many households in NJ earn less than $100K and still live decent lives, but "decent" is a relative term. $40-50K would probably allow you to live a decent life in Midwest; in NJ you would be at the bottom of a food chain with that amount. In general $100k will get you much further in Midwest than in North East, including NJ.
It would make sense to move here only if this area has plenty economic/career/growth opportunities for your hubby. This way he could advance faster and recover faster, life-stile-wise. A short-term dip would be acceptable for a long-term prosperity. Otherwise, I would not recommend coming here. Indeed, our roads are horrible.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 2,116 times
This is my first post here, hope this doesn't come off as too negative as I really do love this state...I was born here and have lived here my whole life and I would honestly say stay where you are. It sounds a lot better and less stressful then what you'll be dealing with here.

Financially me and my SO are in a similar situation. So the question is 100k in North Jersey do-able? Yeah I guess but comfortable, is to me a stretch (and I feel confident saying that even not knowing much about your comforts). A top rated school or in most cases even a notch below, with a nicer house in a nicer town and being able to go on vacations, etc, even with inexpensive vehicles is a pipe dream.

Comfort in Northern Jersey in my opinion would be more around the range of 200k. When looking at those stats about the average income of 70k also remember how many heavily populated poorer cities we have here that can maybe skew that number a bit.

If it were just the two of you, childless I'd say come on over but you mentioned you are also happy with your school system in MI. Also, if you were making ATLEAST 150k maybe go for it.

This is going to be kinda, well, extremely long and I can only give you my own insight but here goes.

Went to school in Roselle Park, have lived in Belleville and Nutley in the past and have been residing in Union ever since.

Union, a "working class town." The property taxes here are around 10k, which is pretty good for the area. Home was listed in the 400-450k range but on short sale we got a decent bargain on it in the mid 350k range (considering what other similar properties were selling for). It's 4 bedroom house on a pretty small lot, house built in the 70s so not super outdated but not extremely nice either. It's close to literally everything, hop on RT.78 a straight shot into NYC and I've made the trip in 20 minutes (w/ no traffic obviously). A downtown area that has definitely seen better days but within close proximity to nicer downtown's in neighboring towns like Summit, Maplewood, Millburn etc.

I really do like it here for the most part, sounds pretty comfortable right? Well here's where it's not, the school system here is absolutely atrocious. I sometimes wonder if the town itself even cares anymore about the state of it's schools, recently they've started enforcing a district wide yearly re-registration to try and weed out the kids coming from other towns to these schools. (I guess that at least count's as trying but not sure if that really is going to solve anything.)

The old timers around say there was a time when the schools here were actually good, when? Who knows, I'm guessing 30-40 years ago maybe? How about the district and town where I grew up in, Roselle Park, another of these "working class towns," now a mediocre school system at best (better then the surrounding towns of Union, Elizabeth, Roselle etc of course, but not really a high bar) and a depressing downtown.... A downtown that, at best would be a few blocks long yet still seemingly unsustainable, constant empty stores, old Chevy and Ford dealerships long gone yet their mostly empty old buildings still standing around.

Another thing I had forgot to mention, we're both college educated, and we both work full time. Private school is not an option for us financially, at least not right now. We'd like to stay in Union or Essex county as this is where we've always been but amongst family and friends the feeling is that a majority of these supposed working class towns with "decent" schools are called working class more to be polite and have not just been trending downwards lately but probably for quite some time. (One of those things we all kinda don't want to admit but deep down kinda feel it's true.)

So in conclusion, imo, the working class towns aren't such a sure bet here especially for families anymore and like previously mentioned by another poster you definitely get what you pay for. Does the thought of paying 16k or more a year in property taxes in addition to buying a home over 500k for that "sure bet" seem appealing? Or how about a home in a great school district but built in the early or mid 1900s that will need some major work and tlc yet already price wise still be at or over the upper limit of how much you can afford? It's a tough question right?

So since you already seem to have a nice mix of everything where you are, I'd be hard pressed to make an argument that would support the move.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:23 AM

7,374 posts, read 11,539,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908and201 View Post
This is my first post here, hope this doesn't come off as too negative as I really do love this state...I was born here and have lived here my whole life and I would honestly say stay where you are. It sounds a lot better and less stressful then what you'll be dealing with here.

Financially me and my SO are in a similar situation. So the question is 100k in North Jersey do-able? Yeah I guess but comfortable, is to me a stretch (and I feel confident saying that even not knowing much about your comforts). A top rated school or in most cases even a notch below, with a nicer house in a nicer town and being able to go on vacations, etc, even with inexpensive vehicles is a pipe dream.

Comfort in Northern Jersey in my opinion would be more around the range of 200k. When looking at those stats about the average income of 70k also remember how many heavily populated poorer cities we have here that can maybe skew that number a bit.

If it were just the two of you, childless I'd say come on over but you mentioned you are also happy with your school system in MI. Also, if you were making ATLEAST 150k maybe go for it.

This is going to be kinda, well, extremely long and I can only give you my own insight but here goes.

Went to school in Roselle Park, have lived in Belleville and Nutley in the past and have been residing in Union ever since.

Union, a "working class town." The property taxes here are around 10k, which is pretty good for the area. Home was listed in the 400-450k range but on short sale we got a decent bargain on it in the mid 350k range (considering what other similar properties were selling for). It's 4 bedroom house on a pretty small lot, house built in the 70s so not super outdated but not extremely nice either. It's close to literally everything, hop on RT.78 a straight shot into NYC and I've made the trip in 20 minutes (w/ no traffic obviously). A downtown area that has definitely seen better days but within close proximity to nicer downtown's in neighboring towns like Summit, Maplewood, Millburn etc.

I really do like it here for the most part, sounds pretty comfortable right? Well here's where it's not, the school system here is absolutely atrocious. I sometimes wonder if the town itself even cares anymore about the state of it's schools, recently they've started enforcing a district wide yearly re-registration to try and weed out the kids coming from other towns to these schools. (I guess that at least count's as trying but not sure if that really is going to solve anything.)

The old timers around say there was a time when the schools here were actually good, when? Who knows, I'm guessing 30-40 years ago maybe? How about the district and town where I grew up in, Roselle Park, another of these "working class towns," now a mediocre school system at best (better then the surrounding towns of Union, Elizabeth, Roselle etc of course, but not really a high bar) and a depressing downtown.... A downtown that, at best would be a few blocks long yet still seemingly unsustainable, constant empty stores, old Chevy and Ford dealerships long gone yet their mostly empty old buildings still standing around.

Another thing I had forgot to mention, we're both college educated, and we both work full time. Private school is not an option for us financially, at least not right now. We'd like to stay in Union or Essex county as this is where we've always been but amongst family and friends the feeling is that a majority of these supposed working class towns with "decent" schools are called working class more to be polite and have not just been trending downwards lately but probably for quite some time. (One of those things we all kinda don't want to admit but deep down kinda feel it's true.)

So in conclusion, imo, the working class towns aren't such a sure bet here especially for families anymore and like previously mentioned by another poster you definitely get what you pay for. Does the thought of paying 16k or more a year in property taxes in addition to buying a home over 500k for that "sure bet" seem appealing? Or how about a home in a great school district but built in the early or mid 1900s that will need some major work and tlc yet already price wise still be at or over the upper limit of how much you can afford? It's a tough question right?

So since you already seem to have a nice mix of everything where you are, I'd be hard pressed to make an argument that would support the move.
If you go west on Route 80, to the towns of Mt. Olive, Rockaway, Lake Hopactcong, like that you could get a house for the same price or lower (300s) and the schools are good.

Of course, within 30 minutes to the city everything with a great school district is going to be expensive. There's only so many homes.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:34 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,471,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If you go west on Route 80, to the towns of Mt. Olive, Rockaway, Lake Hopactcong, like that you could get a house for the same price or lower (300s) and the schools are good.

Of course, within 30 minutes to the city everything with a great school district is going to be expensive. There's only so many homes.
Prices are going up in those areas too. All the people getting priced out of Bergen, Western Essex County, and Eastern Morris County (like me) are now hitting Western Morris County. The new construction townhome I'm buying in Mt. Arlington is now $35,000 more than it was six months ago when I signed the contract... while formerly standard options are now optional (and expensive). I'm probably up about $45,000 all in right now, and prices look like they're going to keep going up. WHOOP!

Old 06-23-2017, 12:25 PM

7,953 posts, read 7,906,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha7V View Post
Right now we have $102,000. We prefer modest homes near nice areas with lots to do. We don't like to live flashy with fancy cars and clothes but spend money on experiences. Are the B schools still decent? I'm just outside of Detroit and there are many schools I would never send my kids too. I can't imagine spending $500k on a house. I don't even know doctors with homes that expensive here.
You could pull it off with a salary of $90,000 if you have no debt. And I mean zero debt. The "B" schools here are also very good, so you can look in a lot of different areas to find the right place. The fact that you are willing to look at a modest home that needs work will open up a lot of possibilities.

Ultimately you are going to love it here. There is so much to do it's ridiculous. Literally events and festivals and exhibits and celebrations and shows and conventions every weekend of the year within 75 miles. I think northern NJ is one of the best places to live in the entire country.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Prices are going up in those areas too. All the people getting priced out of Bergen, Western Essex County, and Eastern Morris County (like me) are now hitting Western Morris County. The new construction townhome I'm buying in Mt. Arlington is now $35,000 more than it was six months ago when I signed the contract... while formerly standard options are now optional (and expensive). I'm probably up about $45,000 all in right now, and prices look like they're going to keep going up. WHOOP!
While that may be true, my relative just sold a house in Mt. Olive for $310,000. 4 bedroom, 2 car garage, nice backyard.

And it took them a WHILE to get that price.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:52 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,225,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
While that may be true, my relative just sold a house in Mt. Olive for $310,000. 4 bedroom, 2 car garage, nice backyard.

And it took them a WHILE to get that price.

Well this is the next to last stop on the Montclair Boonton line. Almost two hour infrequent train trip to Hoboken or Penn station. Anything that is not reasonably commutable to Manhattan is going to be a lot cheaper and face less demand.

Apparently, there are bidding wars in our town in Bergen county that is a forty minute to Hoboken by train on a local train, 30 minutes on an express...

Old 06-23-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Well this is the next to last stop on the Montclair Boonton line. Almost two hour infrequent train trip to Hoboken or Penn station. Anything that is not reasonably commutable to Manhattan is going to be a lot cheaper and face less demand.

Apparently, there are bidding wars in our town in Bergen county that is a forty minute to Hoboken by train on a local train, 30 minutes on an express...
That is correct.

Put it this way. Most people say 'oh how expensive' NJ is, but 300K for a 4 bedroom (with the interiors redone I might add)?

Yup. Reality. In Morris County no less!

Of course, you won't be able to keep your cushy high paid job in the city AND get a house in NJ for that price without commuting 15 hours a week. Just get a job in NJ.

Again, people want it all.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:32 PM

526 posts, read 1,843,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908and201 View Post

This is the most accurate post I've read here in quite some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or