Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 04:04 AM

175 posts, read 247,436 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Just as the title says. We just moved to Wayne NJ and almost overnight I have 2 trees that have very low branches where I have to bend to gonunder them if I walk the sidewalk. Now, to clarify exact location of the tree. There is the house, followed by the sidewalk, followed by the green area where the tree stands and then the road. I am affraid that I may get a fine or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 02:31 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,469,283 times
Yes you are correct, you are responsible for keeping those trees trimmed
And that strip of grass mowed
You are also responsible to keep the sidewalk shoveled in the winter (and not icy)
As well as keeping the sidewalk in good shape in general

Old 06-25-2017, 02:43 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,182,993 times
Your very own hellstrip. Congrats.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:50 PM

175 posts, read 247,436 times
I wonder what it costs to trim 5-8 not thick branches. And what's the name of this type of service.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post
I wonder what it costs to trim 5-8 not thick branches. And what's the name of this type of service.
I don't know how big the tree is so it's hard to say.

You need to call a tree service. You could try Savatree to start. Or google "tree service Wayne NJ"

Old 06-25-2017, 06:36 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,081,687 times
How high are these branches? You can't cut them yourself?

Old 06-25-2017, 07:10 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,053,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I don't know how big the tree is so it's hard to say.

You need to call a tree service. You could try Savatree to start. Or google "tree service Wayne NJ"
Be aware though......I've had experience with "Savatree".....yes, they'll send someone out for no cost to check out your tree for problems, disease and proper pruning BUT.....they will then try to sell you on a service. They are not a non-profit business and kinda of a shill in that they advertise being a free tree health inspection service (which they will do) but then try to get you to sign up for whatever you need done for a price, normally higher than the local competition. You'd probably do better and be able to get it done cheaper by a local landscaper (if simple & not too involved) or a tree service co. near you if major pruning is required. Another caveat though......using a landscaper can be iffy if they are just basic lawncare guys...they might do more harm than good or not prune the best way for the future health of the tree.....using a tree service is always the best option.

Last edited by luckyram; 06-25-2017 at 07:21 PM..

Old 06-25-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Be aware though......I've had experience with "Savatree".....yes, they'll send someone out for no cost to check out your tree for problems, disease and proper pruning BUT.....they will then try to sell you on a service. They are not a non-profit business and kinda of a shill in that they advertise being a free tree health inspection service (which they will do) but then try to get you to sign up for whatever you need done for a price, normally higher than the local competition. You'd probably do better and be able to get it done cheaper by a local landscaper (if simple & not too involved) or a tree service co. near you if major pruning is required. Another caveat though......using a landscaper can be iffy if they are just basic lawncare guys...they might do more harm than good or not prune the best way for the future health of the tree.....using a tree service is always the best option.
I agree I was just trying to think of an easy way to get a quote to get started

A true local tree service is the way to go if they can find one

Old 06-25-2017, 07:37 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,940,436 times
Time out.

If the trees are located on that strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street, there's a pretty good chance it's a township shade tree, owned (and originally planted) by the township. That means it would be the responsibility of the township (i.e., the township is responsible for trimming, and even full removal if the tree becomes diseased).

You should check with the town first before you call someone yourself and spend money you don't have to.

Below is a blurb about some sidewalk replacement program Wayne rolled out last year. Apparently, some of the township shade trees had been breaking through people's sidewalks, and the township was responsible for repair/replace of damaged sections of sidewalks. So, it seems pretty likely that they would also take responsibility for trimming of their shade trees as well.

Sidewalk Replacement Program

Last edited by Docendo discimus; 06-25-2017 at 07:52 PM..

Old 06-26-2017, 08:54 AM

520 posts, read 981,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Time out.

If the trees are located on that strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street, there's a pretty good chance it's a township shade tree, owned (and originally planted) by the township. That means it would be the responsibility of the township (i.e., the township is responsible for trimming, and even full removal if the tree becomes diseased).

You should check with the town first before you call someone yourself and spend money you don't have to.

Below is a blurb about some sidewalk replacement program Wayne rolled out last year. Apparently, some of the township shade trees had been breaking through people's sidewalks, and the township was responsible for repair/replace of damaged sections of sidewalks. So, it seems pretty likely that they would also take responsibility for trimming of their shade trees as well.

Sidewalk Replacement Program

This is applicable for my town. Trees in that strip are shade trees planted by the town and their responsibility. We cannot cut it down even though that land is ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: