Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:12 PM

334 posts, read 731,795 times

Advertisements

The other reason that safe neighborhoods are targeted is because burglars know that people in these areas feel lackadaisical enough to leave their windows and car doors unlocked. These are among the easiest scores ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 07:01 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Hate View Post
The other reason that safe neighborhoods are targeted is because burglars know that people in these areas feel lackadaisical enough to leave their windows and car doors unlocked. These are among the easiest scores ever.
+1
In my rural neighborhood--which consists almost entirely of a development that was built 20 years ago--there has been zero crime over those two decades, with the exception of some pre-teens who were cadging loose change from unlocked cars a few years ago. Even in light of the fact that mine is an essentially crime-free neighborhood, I lock my doors even if I am just going into the back yard in order to do some gardening work.

Yes, I have a dog, but his reaction to strangers varies from savage to curiously affectionate, so I can't depend on him to scare intruders away. Why would I want to take a chance that the things for which I have worked so hard, for so many years, could be stolen, when it takes only a couple of seconds to lock the door?

Old 06-30-2017, 08:06 PM

116 posts, read 219,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shet View Post
He smashed the backdoor right? Probably the basement door or something in the backyard, right? And I think he probably saw the husband leaving and then made the move I think.
It was mid morning when it happened. I lived two blocks away and was walking my dog when I heard ambulances and police cars. They told everyone to stay inside and lock your doors.

Millburn is not as wonderful as people think.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:34 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post
As a new homeowner in a nice neighborhood that's considered pretty safe ... do I have to close all my windows when I leave? One may say that I don't need to as long as I activate my alarm, BUT, one of the things that trigger the alarm is someone opening up a window, so if I already left my windows open, say goodbye to the alarm protecting your home? Unless I also have motion detectors all around?

Just curious.
Nice neighborhoods attract burglars, it's just a matter of time. They just have to look around for houses such as yours with the window open. Motion detectors can be defeated as long as the burglar can figure out what system and cut your internet or phone lines. Unless it's a mobile or wireless system. But leaving the window open saves the burglar time and hassle of break a window or lock. They just need to look for dead spots where detectors can't see them.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:57 AM

862 posts, read 976,409 times
Lock windows, that's how most burglars enter, also make it so burglar's go elsewhere, camera's that are visible and alarm company sign's, something that makes it look like someone is home, deterrents help, most burglars are looking for the easy job with no one home, also most burglaries are during business hours during week.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:28 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Post your address please, I need some beer money.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:57 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
leaving an open window while away not only shows an access point but also tells everyone that you dont have the alarm on. its definitely something i wouldnt want to be broadcasting. sometimes safe neighborhoods become targets from people out of town and you dont want to be the low hanging fruit.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:44 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,125 times
While I live in a good neighborhood now, I grew up in the inner city. Therefore, it has been ingrained in me to close and lock EVERYTHING. Nowadays, however, location means absolutely nothing. Especially with the current opioid epidemic, even the nicest neighborhoods aren't immune to theft. Just play it safe and close/lock everything. Better safe than sorry!

Old 07-03-2017, 04:00 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylinus View Post
It was mid morning when it happened. I lived two blocks away and was walking my dog when I heard ambulances and police cars. They told everyone to stay inside and lock your doors.

Millburn is not as wonderful as people think.

Yes it is.Did something bad happen yes it did.Does that make it an "unsafe town" no it does not.I lived in Millburn /Short Hills for 22 years.Crimes happen in a lot of very nice safe places .....some you just don't hear about.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:43 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Anytime I hear someone say they don't lock their windows or doors I think about that mom in Millburn a couple of years ago that was brutally assaulted in front of her child and it was captured on a security camera. It may not be a common occurrence, but why take the risk? What's to be gained from leaving your doors or windows unlocked?

Everything was locked in her case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey