U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 10:12 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,886,396 times

Advertisements

We all know that the larger cities have a reputation of being open minded and tolerant. However, I think the reverse is true for the state of New Jersey. The cities of Newark, Paterson, and Elizabeth are so ethnically divided. I don’t know about Jersey City though. I had a friend who worked in a non profit in Newark and they had to send a black to a black neighborhood and a Latino to a Latino neighborhood. I have heard of fights in high schools in Elizabeth and Paterson due to ethnic tensions. I heard in JFK High in Paterson blacks have one hallway, Dominicans have one, general Latinos have one, and Arabs have another hallway. In Elizabeth, African Americans, Hispanics, and Haitians have tensions with one another. In Paterson even Latinos are segregated. Peruvians are in one section, Colombians, in one, Dominicans in one, and Mexicans in another. There is such an ethnic divide when it comes to voting in these cities. Hispanics might not vote for non Hispanics. .

By contrast, the suburbs in Middlesex County are much more integrated. In Edison, a Korean was mayor and Koreans are such a small minority there. I think even Chinese people outnumber them there and I don’t think the Chinese population is over 10 percent there. Yet one lady told me that in Paterson , Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are not very likely to vote for a Peruvian mayor. High school kids tend to hang out with one another and ethnicity does not matter that much in suburban Middlesex County places like Woodbridge, Edison, and Carteret. I have not heard of ethnic tensions being so strong here. Edison High, Woodbridge High, and Carteret High are pretty diverse too.

Has anyone else noticed this? Isn’t it ironic that the suburbs in New Jersey are more integrated and have less ethnic tension than the cities even though cities have a reputation of being “progressive, open minded, and tolerant”?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 10:27 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,554,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
We all know that the larger cities have a reputation of being open minded and tolerant. However, I think the reverse is true for the state of New Jersey. The cities of Newark, Paterson, and Elizabeth are so ethnically divided. I don’t know about Jersey City though. I had a friend who worked in a non profit in Newark and they had to send a black to a black neighborhood and a Latino to a Latino neighborhood. I have heard of fights in high schools in Elizabeth and Paterson due to ethnic tensions. I heard in JFK High in Paterson blacks have one hallway, Dominicans have one, general Latinos have one, and Arabs have another hallway. In Elizabeth, African Americans, Hispanics, and Haitians have tensions with one another. In Paterson even Latinos are segregated. Peruvians are in one section, Colombians, in one, Dominicans in one, and Mexicans in another. There is such an ethnic divide when it comes to voting in these cities. Hispanics might not vote for non Hispanics. .

By contrast, the suburbs in Middlesex County are much more integrated. In Edison, a Korean was mayor and Koreans are such a small minority there. I think even Chinese people outnumber them there and I don’t think the Chinese population is over 10 percent there. Yet one lady told me that in Paterson , Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are not very likely to vote for a Peruvian mayor. High school kids tend to hang out with one another and ethnicity does not matter that much in suburban Middlesex County places like Woodbridge, Edison, and Carteret. I have not heard of ethnic tensions being so strong here. Edison High, Woodbridge High, and Carteret High are pretty diverse too.

Has anyone else noticed this? Isn’t it ironic that the suburbs in New Jersey are more integrated and have less ethnic tension than the cities even though cities have a reputation of being “progressive, open minded, and tolerant”?
My guess is that minorities in urban areas are fresh immigrants and like to stick with their own people. Once they (or their children) are established and assimilated, they move out to other areas and are more open-minded and mingle with other people. Just a theory...

Old 07-03-2017, 02:40 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,200,543 times
We have to consider how different languages can keep groups separate too.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:35 PM

12,907 posts, read 11,842,138 times
I think some of the tensions especially when it comes to keeping people apart also comes from gang violence. There are the Hispanic gangs and the black gangs in cities like Elizabeth and Newark and the gangs obviously don't get along.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:58 AM

7,943 posts, read 7,445,005 times
Jersey City is where all the East Indians and affluent Asians live

Old 07-04-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
My guess is that minorities in urban areas are fresh immigrants and like to stick with their own people. Once they (or their children) are established and assimilated, they move out to other areas and are more open-minded and mingle with other people. Just a theory...
I would say this is true. However, I think a lot of the people in these cities are second generation or have even been there longer. Puerto Ricans have been in Newark and Paterson since the 50s.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:11 AM

2,510 posts, read 1,796,413 times
You should see Rutgers New Brunswick.

Yes, it's very diverse on paper. But man, people stick together in their own groups there outside of class

Which I think is perfectly fine

Old 07-05-2017, 11:08 AM

280 posts, read 234,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
You should see Rutgers New Brunswick.

Yes, it's very diverse on paper. But man, people stick together in their own groups there outside of class

Which I think is perfectly fine
...what? Are you saying people stick together by race at RU NB? That is simply not true. I went to the School of Engineering and hung out with everyone - guys, girls, all races, no one cared at all.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodelotus View Post
...what? Are you saying people stick together by race at RU NB? That is simply not true. I went to the School of Engineering and hung out with everyone - guys, girls, all races, no one cared at all.
Yeah. I did see a lot of intermingling in Rutgers New Brunswick. You didn't have hallways where certain ethnicities were concentrated. You didn't see students getting jumped because of their ethnicity. It wasn't uncommon to see students of different races or ethnicities eating together in the dining halls. The students that were the most segregated were the international students and even they talked to other students.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:17 PM

2,510 posts, read 1,796,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodelotus View Post
Sure that's at classes

There are tons and tons and tons of ethnic and racial and religious groups and everything else at RU

Black fraternities white fraternities Jewish etc you name it

I don't think it's a bad thing but let's be real
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey