U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-17-2017, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Holmdel, NJ
20,899 posts, read 25,970,428 times
Reputation: 12872

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Couldn't this be a case where the crime rate is inflated because during the summer you have a lot of tourists flocking in, and so you have more crime, but because the year-round residents number is still low, it gets skewed? Similar thing with Atlantic City.
i dont really know how being a community that draws a lot of guests in the summer impacts crime stats but i think atlantic city has its own problems separate from its summer guests.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2017, 07:36 AM
 
8,962 posts, read 2,117,291 times
Reputation: 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Look at the stats I referenced and it will surprise you.
I did and as I admitted to there is crime in Asbury ,never said anything different.Yet you are incorrect in your assumption it's worse than Newark,Camdan or Paterson or even Atlantic City.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 10:53 AM
 
626 posts, read 473,801 times
Reputation: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I did and as I admitted to there is crime in Asbury ,never said anything different.Yet you are incorrect in your assumption it's worse than Newark,Camdan or Paterson or even Atlantic City.
Since you spout your mouth without reading and a sound like a moron to those of us who know more about the cities, of course bigger cities are going to have more crimes however:

Your chances of becoming a victim of a violent crime in:

Newark: 1/90
Camden: 1/50
Asbury Park: 1/16
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 04:10 PM
 
8,962 posts, read 2,117,291 times
Reputation: 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Since you spout your mouth without reading and a sound like a moron to those of us who know more about the cities, of course bigger cities are going to have more crimes however:

Your chances of becoming a victim of a violent crime in:

Newark: 1/90
Camden: 1/50
Asbury Park: 1/16


You can cry all you want ,you're wrong.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 04:42 PM
 
10,756 posts, read 8,113,785 times
Reputation: 13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Since you spout your mouth without reading and a sound like a moron to those of us who know more about the cities, of course bigger cities are going to have more crimes however:

Your chances of becoming a victim of a violent crime in:

Newark: 1/90
Camden: 1/50
Asbury Park: 1/16
Your own link says it's 1/68 in AP so I don't know where you got 1/16.

AP crime is mostly gang related and occurs away from the ocean. Anyone hanging out by the beach and boardwalk and even in town (Cookman downtown area) will be fine. Cops patrol the boardwalk. It feels very safe. Go west of the train tracks and it's risky.

I'm also confused about that link/site you like to post because it includes more than just AP in its map, so I wonder if it includes other areas outside AP city limits in its crime stats as well. AP is not as large as that map and rest of the page depicts, with the color coded sections blocked out. For example, it says that the Wanamassa neighborhood is in AP but it's in nearby Ocean Twp.

I also don't believe for a second that Newark is safer. No way. Even according to your own link, Camden isn't so I won't even address that further.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 07-18-2017 at 04:50 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 04:52 PM
 
11,970 posts, read 13,982,981 times
Reputation: 15942
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Your own link says it's 1/68 in AP so I don't know where you got 1/16.
He's just using...alternate facts!
In certain circles, those fables are very popular nowadays.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 05:01 PM
 
2,969 posts, read 976,081 times
Reputation: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Your own link says it's 1/68 in AP so I don't know where you got 1/16.

AP crime is mostly gang related and occurs away from the ocean. Anyone hanging out by the beach and boardwalk and even in town (Cookman downtown area) will be fine. Cops patrol the boardwalk. It feels very safe. Go west of the train tracks and it's risky.

I'm also confused about that link/site you like to post because it includes more than just AP in its map, so I wonder if it includes other areas outside AP city limits in its crime stats as well. AP is not as large as that map and rest of the page depicts, with the color coded sections blocked out. For example, it says that the Wanamassa neighborhood is in AP but it's in nearby Ocean Twp.

I also don't believe for a second that Newark is safer. No way. Even according to your own link, Camden isn't so I won't even address that further.


agree- if you hang out by the beach or by the restaurants AP is rather safe...cross over to the otherside, not so much!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2017, 10:52 PM
 
479 posts, read 666,101 times
Reputation: 327
Listen you people act like you all live in Pleasantvile USA. There are different areas in Asbury Park. By the ocean is where the old gays are . No problem there since its Asburys bread and butter and plenty police.

One you pass the " railroad tracks" is the hood. But its not even that ghetto. I got some GREAT Jamaican food on Main St. @ Marks Food. There are some colorful characters but never felt unsafe. Its not even that bad ! Ive been to slums of New Orleans , South Chicago to Compton... Asbury is not that bad if you mind your business. Almost all crimes are targeted and the people know each other.

I personally prefer Asbury beach for ONLY the beach ... the boardwalk is full of old people and old gays. Not my kinda scene. After a day at the beach I cross OVER the tracks and get some local food from a local business ! i wouldnt be caught dead in one of those tacky boardwalk restaurants.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2017, 01:40 AM
 
Location: NYC
10,092 posts, read 6,073,843 times
Reputation: 10600
Went to Asbury Park last weekend, beautiful day at the beach. They still got a lot of work to do, once I drove outside of the main roads it can get very ghetto quickly. I give the area 10-12 yrs to fully un-diversify itself.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2017, 03:03 AM
 
8,962 posts, read 2,117,291 times
Reputation: 3149
Have read this whole thing not one person disagrees that there are bad parts of AP or that there is crime in AP but to say it's worse than Camden or Newark ......no.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top