U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-06-2017, 09:02 AM
 
10,327 posts, read 7,639,231 times
Reputation: 12774

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
Listen you people act like you all live in Pleasantvile USA. There are different areas in Asbury Park. By the ocean is where the old gays are . No problem there since its Asburys bread and butter and plenty police.

One you pass the " railroad tracks" is the hood. But its not even that ghetto. I got some GREAT Jamaican food on Main St. @ Marks Food. There are some colorful characters but never felt unsafe. Its not even that bad ! Ive been to slums of New Orleans , South Chicago to Compton... Asbury is not that bad if you mind your business. Almost all crimes are targeted and the people know each other.

I personally prefer Asbury beach for ONLY the beach ... the boardwalk is full of old people and old gays. Not my kinda scene. After a day at the beach I cross OVER the tracks and get some local food from a local business ! i wouldnt be caught dead in one of those tacky boardwalk restaurants.
I honestly think Asbury Park has one of the least tackiest, if not the least tackiest, boardwalks in the state. It gives off a kind of weird (but not in a bad way), hipster vibe more than anything. The stores, restaurants, and things sold aren't very kitschy or super tourist oriented. I think the restaurants are overpriced, but not tacky. It feels like an authentic area to me.

The AP boardwalk is nothing like Seaside, Pt. Pleasant, Wildwood, etc. At least not yet. Hopefully it stays the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2017, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Holmdel, NJ
20,572 posts, read 25,191,181 times
Reputation: 12567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
Asbury is not that bad if you mind your business.
i love hanging out in places that arent that bad if i mind my business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 03:39 AM
 
457 posts, read 634,911 times
Reputation: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i love hanging out in places that arent that bad if i mind my business
So then stay on the boardwalk or in the water. I'm sure the locals wouldn't care for you to be around them either. go THAT way >>>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Holmdel, NJ
20,572 posts, read 25,191,181 times
Reputation: 12567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
So then stay on the boardwalk or in the water. I'm sure the locals wouldn't care for you to be around them either. go THAT way >>>
i assure you that i am not counting on you for any advice on where to stay and i definitely dont care what the locals prefer.

my bar for going to places (at least for living & leisure) is higher than "not bad if you mind your own business." I dont think i am alone here on that.

btw, the boardwalk and water of AP are beneath my bar also. i have very little interest in going there. but it is "hot" right now so we have been to a few restaurants there.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 08-07-2017 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 10:02 AM
 
10,327 posts, read 7,639,231 times
Reputation: 12774
I disagree that Asbury is a "not bad if you mind your own business" place. Maybe in a lot of the town it is, but most people who go there won't be going to those areas. I have been regularly going to AP for a few years now, and I have not once felt unsafe in the downtown area along Cookman or in the area immediately around the beach. The places in Asbury where people actually go and want to go and are desirable aren't the "not bad if you mind your own business" areas.

I have family who lives in a town near Asbury and it is also their go to. They have many beaches to choose from to get their season passes from, but they choose Asbury (only in more recent years, prior they did not). The kids have many beach towns to choose from to work their summer jobs in, but they choose Asbury. There are many areas that have good restaurants they can go to all year long, not just in the summer, but they often choose Asbury. They absolutely avoid the bad areas, but the good areas seriously are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 10:25 AM
 
6,938 posts, read 1,538,434 times
Reputation: 2217
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I honestly think Asbury Park has one of the least tackiest, if not the least tackiest, boardwalks in the state. It gives off a kind of weird (but not in a bad way), hipster vibe more than anything. The stores, restaurants, and things sold aren't very kitschy or super tourist oriented. I think the restaurants are overpriced, but not tacky. It feels like an authentic area to me.

The AP boardwalk is nothing like Seaside, Pt. Pleasant, Wildwood, etc. At least not yet. Hopefully it stays the way it is.
It was ,it was more like those place's you named then they are now.It was one of the great things about Asbury Park,the Casino fun house, the Merry go round ,Convention Hall with the movie theater and the concert hall!The games and the rides and the food!It was truly great.The Wonder Bar

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...7ba2248481.jpg

I wouldn't mind seeing those things come back ,that is what the town was about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 10:53 AM
 
10,327 posts, read 7,639,231 times
Reputation: 12774
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
It was ,it was more like those place's you named then they are now.It was one of the great things about Asbury Park,the Casino fun house, the Merry go round ,Convention Hall with the movie theater and the concert hall!The games and the rides and the food!It was truly great.The Wonder Bar

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...7ba2248481.jpg

I wouldn't mind seeing those things come back ,that is what the town was about!
Well, I really meant the tackiness of those boardwalks I mentioned. Places like the Shore Store in Seaside where you can get basically anything you want screen printed onto a shirt or hat, places that sell shot glasses and other shore town themed touristy stuff. The Asbury boardwalk is much different than many others. Yes, it doesn't have rides and other amusements, but it's different in other ways that I think makes it a bit more unique and still not quite as tourist oriented as the other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 11:22 AM
 
287 posts, read 184,536 times
Reputation: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Well, I really meant the tackiness of those boardwalks I mentioned. Places like the Shore Store in Seaside where you can get basically anything you want screen printed onto a shirt or hat, places that sell shot glasses and other shore town themed touristy stuff. The Asbury boardwalk is much different than many others. Yes, it doesn't have rides and other amusements, but it's different in other ways that I think makes it a bit more unique and still not quite as tourist oriented as the other places.
I think AP (which is my go to beach) has a certain amount of gentrified nostalgia for these sort of places. It got run down and rebuilt by people that wanted to pay homage to an old-style shore destination rather than fully recreate it. It works for me, and while you could imply that it's geared towards 'family', my 4 year old loves it there. We spent three nights at The Asbury hotel and he loved it. Incidentally, that hotel is perhaps a tad too hipstery, but he loved it. It was a comfortable and friendly place to hang out when we weren't at the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 11:26 AM
 
852 posts, read 982,327 times
Reputation: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by qrysdonnell View Post
I think AP (which is my go to beach) has a certain amount of gentrified nostalgia for these sort of places. It got run down and rebuilt by people that wanted to pay homage to an old-style shore destination rather than fully recreate it. It works for me, and while you could imply that it's geared towards 'family', my 4 year old loves it there. We spent three nights at The Asbury hotel and he loved it. Incidentally, that hotel is perhaps a tad too hipstery, but he loved it. It was a comfortable and friendly place to hang out when we weren't at the beach.
My jogs often take me up the boardwalk from Belmar to Asbury and back. It's always amusing how going through Ocean Grove one sees wooden crosses and sometimes Christian rock on the boardwalk, then in Asbury Park there are out and proud gay couples, women (and men) wearing rather more revealing swimsuits, and tattoos and beards in abundance. That said, during the peak season there are plenty of families mixed in the crowd too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2017, 11:51 AM
 
287 posts, read 184,536 times
Reputation: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
My jogs often take me up the boardwalk from Belmar to Asbury and back. It's always amusing how going through Ocean Grove one sees wooden crosses and sometimes Christian rock on the boardwalk, then in Asbury Park there are out and proud gay couples, women (and men) wearing rather more revealing swimsuits, and tattoos and beards in abundance. That said, during the peak season there are plenty of families mixed in the crowd too.
As a family we prefer the AP sort of crowd to the OG one hands down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top