Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 09:03 PM

32 posts, read 45,755 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for all the details. I had the thought that commuting will be a challenge. Is there any other location in NJ with best high schools and within 1 hr 15 mins to Brooklyn 58th street? I don't think so. Want to confirm.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 09:54 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmmet View Post
Thanks all for all the details. I had the thought that commuting will be a challenge. Is there any other location in NJ with best high schools and within 1 hr 15 mins to Brooklyn 58th street? I don't think so. Want to confirm.

Thanks in advance!
An hour and 15 min is a tough cookie, you have 2 rivers to cross between America and Brooklyn.

Just for kicks I would take a shot at a nice laid back central NJ town thats close in say Cranford, NJ, and driving times. You would take local highways in NJ to the new Goethals Bridge then you are stuck in and on islands and whatever traffic is there you are part of.

Brooklyn being on an island and Stagnated Island you have to drive through, unless you go across lower Manhattan. The tolls are not cheap,,,,, either.

Hmmm right now at 1145pm its 20 miles and a 40 minute ride and thats with medium Sunday night traffic on the SIE (I-278) a few red spots on the eeeevil rrracist Google Maps,,,

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cran...332526!5m1!1e2

Try moving that TIME to a weekday morning and see what it projects,,,IT comes up 45 minutes to 1 hr and 50 minutes depending on TRAFFEEEQUE, the big old T word,,, but I'd shoot for something like that depending on what times and days you need to get there. Try it online during the week to get realistic travel times. You can project traffic otherwise.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:02 AM

32 posts, read 45,755 times
Hi All,
Thanks Much for all the information!
So, looks like one of my option is Jersey City.
Could anyone please let me know whether there are any other options for me? I'm ok to like in NY as well as long as tax is not very high and commute is less than 1hr 30 mins.
Thanks in advance!

Old 08-02-2017, 10:26 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmmet View Post
Hi All,
Thanks Much for all the information!
So, looks like one of my option is Jersey City.
Could anyone please let me know whether there are any other options for me? I'm ok to like in NY as well as long as tax is not very high and commute is less than 1hr 30 mins.
Thanks in advance!
Jersey City is not one of your options if you want good public schools. Its got ****ty public schools except for like two and one of them, McNair is science school that you need to apply to (basically like sty, tech, sci in NYC).

Old 08-04-2017, 06:49 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,320 times
I just wouldn't move to NJ period if I had a guaranteed commute to Brooklyn every day. Driving over 2 bridges would be horrible enough, but by PT. Hell no. DH has many relatives that commuted from Howell NJ to Brooklyn for over 20 years for a job leaving at 4:30 in the morning. You couldn't pay me enough. I also know someone who is going from Middletown to Mid-Wood Brooklyn via car...

If you're worried about "good" schools" I hate to say it, but Staten Island or perhaps Westchester might be a choice. But the prices in Staten Island are insane for a 2x4 box with no yard, which is why so many people are moving..

Old 08-05-2017, 07:26 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
Many people don't like to live on an island. I find those that are ok with it grew up like that and are used to it. I'd rather drive all day and night as long as I could get back to the "SOIL" the continent.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:38 PM

1,016 posts, read 307,263 times
Have you considered relocating to one of the more affordable but still nice neighborhoods in Brooklyn? I'm thinking Sheepshead Bay, Brighton. I don't know if your kids are already in high school or if you are planning ahead, but if you're NYC residents, they can apply for specialized high schools. The best way to be a subway ride away from your job in Brooklyn is to live as close to it as possible. You can google the best rated NYC schools, specialized high schools, real estate/rents, and put the pieces together. I lived for a while in NJ and would not wish a NJ-NY commute on anyone except maybe a straight PATH ride into the Wall Street area.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by barb712; 08-08-2017 at 05:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey