Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 01:37 PM

43 posts, read 139,498 times

Advertisements

I'm a 24 year old male, working full time in Manhattan. I live about 20 minutes west of Hoboken but I am forced to take the bus to work everyday. As a younger guy, I am having a tough time being hostage to Port Authority.

That being said I am looking to make a move. I am looking for something with a relatively simple commute that doesn't involve any buses and definitely more social opportunities.

I've been to Hoboken many times and have been leaning towards moving there but the more I go there, the more I feel its overrated/overpriced. I own a car but I can easily leave that at home so parking is a non-issue. I feel as though many people are very pretentious and it's a very snobbish type of town.

I know that there are areas in Manhattan which may be several blocks from the closest subway that I can definitely afford. I also heard Astoria and some parts of Brooklyn had a decent population of younger people. I am hoping that someone can offer me some direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 01:49 PM

857 posts, read 1,996,447 times
hoboken has it's share of snobs, but for the most part - it's a post-college party town. Especially if you live in an entirely rental building. All the snobs own condos in new construction high rises.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:56 PM

717 posts, read 768,752 times
If you are 24 yrs old and down on Hoboken then you are going to have a tough time living anywhere. It does not get much better in terms of nightlife, restaurants, parks, and networking then Hoboken NJ. Plus you have the incredible convenience to the greatest city in the world. Most of the "snobbishness" is above 12th street where princess wives hire nannys to watch their kids while they go to the spa. It is not snobby all over as it is mostly 20 somethings right out of college.
Another factor is you have 20 somethings from all over the country living in Hoboken. Many of them come from places like the northwest or the Midwest and are down to earth. Bottom line: I would not let the perception of pretentiousness deter you from a great living experience in Hoboken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey