U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:43 PM

18 posts, read 81,339 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

What are the different neighborhoods in Clifton, where are they, are how much crime do they have? I am looking to move there, but i want to have a general idea of the different neighborhoods. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 01:55 PM

1,973 posts, read 3,586,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatelynNJ View Post
Hi all,

What are the different neighborhoods in Clifton, where are they, are how much crime do they have? I am looking to move there, but i want to have a general idea of the different neighborhoods. Thanks!
the Best neighborhoods are in the allwood section and the Montclair/Clifton border (Grove Street). Otherwise you have the athenia section around Van Houten Ave that at one time was a very happening place w/ all the restaurants and bars but it has seen it's better days. The Lackawanna section is ok but it's more industrial. Lakeview section is mostly working class families but recently is getting too crowded. Basically clifton is ok, as long as you stay away from the neighborhoods next to Passaic & Paterson.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:37 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,115,856 times
Alex nailed it. I lived in Richfield Village apartments (if that is still the name) on Allwood Rd. There is a good pizza place on the corner there w/ Clifton Ave. If you make a right on Broad St. (from Allwood), not far down the road on the right there is the CUTEST little park with an electrical tower right in it. There are ducks, and the boy scouts made the benches and everything (as far as I know). I LOVED that park!! Right next to the highway but you feel isolated from the world!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Alex nailed it. I lived in Richfield Village apartments (if that is still the name) on Allwood Rd. There is a good pizza place on the corner there w/ Clifton Ave. If you make a right on Broad St. (from Allwood), not far down the road on the right there is the CUTEST little park with an electrical tower right in it. There are ducks, and the boy scouts made the benches and everything (as far as I know). I LOVED that park!! Right next to the highway but you feel isolated from the world!

I know that park, is off Broad St I believe is some type of conservation/preserved area, which you can see the GS Parkway. Is a very relax place to be, you wouldn't know it but yes, it's a good place to just relax and take a breather from everything. I almost moved into the Richfield village apts back in the days (we're talking like 15 years ago) and they were ok but small. back then I think rent was only like less than $600. I used to go to Joey's also (I believe now is called Bliss) the Yakety *** is a Charlie Brown's the Grand Saloon is still there on Van Houten I don't know if Mario's still around. Loved San Remo's on main ave as well.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:45 AM

617 posts, read 2,195,219 times
Mmmmmm... getting San Remo's later today. Love that place.

Reading these threads, it seems I live in the "bad part" of Clifton. Not bad from here, but I do understand what people are talking about. You get a different perspective when living in the area, I guess. I live in Dutch Hill section. Near the (oh my god!) Passaic border. Not too bad, I live in a quiet area, quiet street, great neighbors, but perception is everything, to the outsider looking in.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:48 PM

810 posts, read 2,250,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
Basically clifton is ok, as long as you stay away from the neighborhoods next to Passaic & Paterson.
This isn't really true. Clifton shares its border with one of Paterson's best neighborhoods. You can't even tell when your crossing one to go into the other. The same thing can be said about the border between Clifton and Passaic Park (where the park and train station are). Only the Lexington Ave. area between Passaic/Clifton is going downhill in my opinion.

I think many people foolishly assume that any border shared with cities like Passaic or Paterson MUST be bad.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:41 PM

11 posts, read 31,801 times
I am from Long Island New York and moved down south to Atlanta Georgia I hated it and moved back. I am now looking for a home and now live in (Hackensack, NJ) I love being this close to NYC and want to now buy a home in this area.

I think Bergen County is over priced and keep finding my self in the Clifton Area. I love the newer renovated homes. Especially in the Richfeild section and saw a 3 bedroom today off Grove street. Have not tried the Athenia area yet. Anyone have more areas that are nice ?

Why do you say it used to be a happening place near Grove street is it declining ? So conveneint for tansportation to NYC.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLatins View Post
I am from Long Island New York and moved down south to Atlanta Georgia I hated it and moved back. I am now looking for a home and now live in (Hackensack, NJ) I love being this close to NYC and want to now buy a home in this area.

I think Bergen County is over priced and keep finding my self in the Clifton Area. I love the newer renovated homes. Especially in the Richfeild section and saw a 3 bedroom today off Grove street. Have not tried the Athenia area yet. Anyone have more areas that are nice ?

Why do you say it used to be a happening place near Grove street is it declining ? So conveneint for tansportation to NYC.
The Grove street is not declining. It is still a very nice area and very desirable, close to transportation to NYC. As far as the Athenia section on Van Houten Ave, IMO anything going towards the Passaic border is not as nice, but if you stay on the other side going towards valley road in montclair that area is still very nice, behind the Richfield Nursery is very clean and tree line neighborhoods.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:51 AM

2,586 posts, read 6,600,331 times
The area between Broad and Grove is also nice. The section bordering Bloomfield/Montclair is a bit pricey, but as you go down Broad St toward Van Houten, there are also some nice neighborhoods.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 13,813 times
i currently live in the Richfield section, off of Grove St. I would say that the Richfield section, the area that borders Bloomfield/Nutley and the Valley Rd. sections towards Montclair are the nicest in Clifton. Anywhere close to Passaic and Paterson are bad, and if you do not agree, then you obviously don't leave your house too often. If you just drive down Van Houten or Clifton Ave. toward Main St. and Lakeview/Lexington then you will see the ghetto area of Clifton, which makes up majority of the city. The area that border Passac Park is nice for about 5-10 blocks, then after that you enter Passaic city and it's basically the more urban/ghetto area. Living on the border of Paterson is basically like living in Paterson. You'll experience the crime and all the other "great" stuff Paterson has to offer. If you plan on sending kids to school there in the future, then that's a whole other story. The elementary schools are OK, but the middle schools (especially Christopher Columbus MS) are bad, and the high school is terrible. I graduated from there recently and it had almost 4,000 students, which most of them are illegal students from Passaic and Paterson. So my advice, don't waste your money in this town, there are other nicer towns in the area that are about the same price as Clifton, and have better schools and neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey