U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 09:45 PM

6 posts, read 2,361 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Apologies if this post is a bit all over the place. I've been visiting the forum for a while but finally am motivated to post, probably out of frustration.

Have been casually searching online for a house in Watchung, Mountainside, and Scotch Plains for the past year. Currently have a townhouse in Union. Saw a lot of great properties in 2016 but this year options have been sparse. Looks like inventory is at record lows, home prices are inflated, and interest rates are rising.

I work in NYC and have been trying to maintain a somewhat manageable commute. I am the last stop for the 114x bus going into the city and the first stop back and even that can be a pain. Not sure how challenging it would be if I'm further out west. So back to my post title -

Have not been looking in Bridgewater because it just seems too far out from the city. However, after browsing today it looks like there are numerous properties, reasonably priced with lots of land and low taxes. So what gives? Is it just a perspective thing and I'm just excited at seeing new properties in my searches after seeing the same properties in the previously mentioned areas for months and months? Or can you get a bit more bang for your buck in Bridgewater vs those areas. In my searches on the forums people have had nothing but good things to say about Bridgewater.

For reference, I am looking at homes in the 600k range, on >.5 acre, >2000sqf. Martinsville looks promising. I'll have to take a drive around town and maybe test the commute and perhaps that'll put things more in perspective. Also concerned about property values with the current market.

Any thoughts, perspectives, suggestions are welcome! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 10:16 AM

556 posts, read 531,099 times
You do get more bang for your buck compared to those cities you mentioned. For one, Bridgewater is farther from the city. You could head even further west into Hunterdon or Warren counties and get an even more bang for your buck. But then your commute into Manhattan turns into a 2 hour affair.

Bridgewater is a great place to live if you don't commute into NY. I love it's central location in NJ, its near major interstates that get you down the shore or into the Poconos easily. Plus, there is plenty to do as far as shopping and restaurants, and the school system is very good. Bridgewater has both suburban and rural qualities, if you like that sort of thing.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:08 PM

509 posts, read 870,732 times
I concur with Free44, Bridgewater is a great town to live in.
Low taxes (by Somerset County standards)
abundant shopping, restaurants and parks in area

Bridgewater is a geographically very large town, with about 5 sections, each with their own flavor. Martinsville being one of them. With a budget of 600K, you are probably looking at homes North of Rt 22. Although the southern part of of town is starting to see 500K new homes.

Most homes in Martinsville have larger lots. But area is hilly

As for the commute, commuting into NYC from Bridgewater is not fun due to distance.
But by car, you have I78 just above Martinsville
There is train, from Raritan borough
But quite a lot of people do it from Bridgewater and further west

Old 07-31-2017, 02:24 PM

38 posts, read 14,833 times
Does anyone know which parts of Bridgewater DO NOT look like they're "out in the woods"? Last year we checked 7-8 houses in Bridgewater, but half of them were in some woody areas that looked as nature preserves/animal habitats - not my cup of tea. Also, Martinsville was even worse: woods + hills. Any decent parts that have a more urbanized feel?

Old 07-31-2017, 02:58 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,093,983 times
Scotch Plains, Wachung, Mountainside are all going to have trouble meeting your .5 acre. Lot sizes are just too small when the commute to New York is the priority like it is in those towns. So many previous land owners decided to break up their properties.

Are you willing to go down on that at all? I think that's going to be the big stumbling block, your budget should be fine otherwise.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:07 PM

1,928 posts, read 1,732,829 times
bridgewater is a nice area. Its got the best thai food in the tri-state area at Thai Kitchen, a barnes and nobles, an nj transit station, and its good distance between nyc and philly. If they could connect the west trenton line to the rahway line, it would be an even better location.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:19 AM

509 posts, read 870,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srdjanmax View Post
Does anyone know which parts of Bridgewater DO NOT look like they're "out in the woods"? Last year we checked 7-8 houses in Bridgewater, but half of them were in some woody areas that looked as nature preserves/animal habitats - not my cup of tea. Also, Martinsville was even worse: woods + hills. Any decent parts that have a more urbanized feel?

"Not in the woods"
To answer, there is Finderne, but i wouldn't recommend that section,
more industrial, eastern end , borders Bound Brook
and there is Bradley Gardens section,
by Duke Island park.
Borders Branchburg on western side of Raritan
there is an older section and a newer section

If you think these sections are "in the woods", then I can't help you.

Old Today, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Scotch Plains, Wachung, Mountainside are all going to have trouble meeting your .5 acre. Lot sizes are just too small when the commute to New York is the priority like it is in those towns. So many previous land owners decided to break up their properties.

Are you willing to go down on that at all? I think that's going to be the big stumbling block, your budget should be fine otherwise.
Seems like I will have to make a compromise(s) somewhere. I would prefer if the houses weren't on top of each other and ideally and huge lot would be great. But prob not in my price range. Thanks.

Old Today, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. Very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey