U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 10:05 AM

11,543 posts, read 13,318,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
It's not like every student who applies to a NJ college is going to get in, even if they wanted to.
+1
Case in point... Our esteemed governor, who attended The University of Delaware.
In my 35 years as a high school counselor, I had ZERO counselees whose first choice was U. of Delaware.
However, after being turned-down by Rutgers, quite a few of them decided that U. of Delaware was... okay.

...and now you know the source of much of CC's enmity toward NJ's educational system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 10:14 AM

10,327 posts, read 7,644,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1
Case in point... Our esteemed governor, who attended The University of Delaware.
In my 35 years as a high school counselor, I had ZERO counselees whose first choice was U. of Delaware.
However, after being turned-down by Rutgers, quite a few of them decided that U. of Delaware was... okay.

...and now you know the source of much of CC's enmity toward NJ's educational system.
There were a couple of people in my graduating class who did actually choose U Del as their first choice and went there. There were many other kids whose first choices were also out of state, and often out of state state schools (like Penn State, USC, UNC, etc).

I think that the whole "go away to school" thing is what influences NJ kids to leave NJ. This is a small state so at any state school or private school here, you're really never that far from home. Maybe max 3 hours among the most extreme examples, but considering the majority of NJ's population lives in the northeastern part of the state and Rutgers is in that general area, so is Montclair, etc., people are never really that far from our state schools. Even TCNJ is close to northeastern NJ.

I would be interested in seeing how many kids from other small states also tend to go out of state for school. The trend is to "go away" to school. Like, truly away. You're never truly away in a small state.

Personally, I think it's a dumb trend and for most people, the best bet is to go to a state school in your state and commute while working part-time to save money.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:20 AM

2,386 posts, read 826,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1

exactly, a guy from Livingston HS and his educational CV is safety school city.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:23 AM

1,920 posts, read 1,089,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I would be interested in seeing how many kids from other small states also tend to go out of state for school. The trend is to "go away" to school. Like, truly away. You're never truly away in a small state.
I got curious and fond this, it's really interesting. Public colleges only.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...migration.html

CT, for example, has 1,500 or so come in while 4,400 leave.

NJ is about 1,000 coming while 12,000 leave, which is about the worst ratio out there. 3,000 are going to PA alone, which makes sense since it's far enough away to get away while close enough to drive home. But even Illinois has 2,000 come in while 16,00 go out and it's a much, much larger state. RI, NH, DE, and MA all have positive numbers as well and all are small states. But MA has a huge stranglehold given the amount of state colleges they have for their size, it's a real outlier.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
I got curious and fond this, it's really interesting. Public colleges only.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...migration.html

CT, for example, has 1,500 or so come in while 4,400 leave.

NJ is about 1,000 coming while 12,000 leave, which is about the worst ratio out there. 3,000 are going to PA alone, which makes sense since it's far enough away to get away while close enough to drive home. But even Illinois has 2,000 come in while 16,00 go out and it's a much, much larger state. RI, NH, DE, and MA all have positive numbers as well and all are small states. But MA has a huge stranglehold given the amount of state colleges they have for their size, it's a real outlier.
I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that Rutgers while a good university isn't viewed with a lot of prestige in stateand even less so after christie gutted it, coupled with a lousy college environment (good sports teams for instance) and a well educated, well funded student body who are able to get into a lot of schools in other states. Should we streghten Rutgers and some of the other state universities that don't seem to have too much recognition I think you would see more kids stay. Maybe a model similar to SUNY, with a number of options of varying selectiveness. Plus if the football team could win a cpl games it might help.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:47 AM

13,680 posts, read 9,065,312 times
How about that, millenials fleeing a legacy of democrat control in NJ!

What a surprise.

Who do you think the next democrat gov will be next election? along with both houses, of course, democrat controlled.

No hope for Nj as legacy votes continue to discourage millenials and others from fleeing the sheep pen otherwise known as NJ.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:49 AM

1,920 posts, read 1,089,444 times
I can see that. It's also a limited amount of public schools. Rutgers, TCNJ, NJIT, Montclair, Kean, there's a good number of community colleges that people leave after about 2 years as well, I imagine that has a lot to do with the outflow as well.

I can't imagine anyone choosing Rutgers because the team wins or loses, but then again, that was never one of my criteria at all. I know a lot of people who picked a school based on college football and I could never figure it out. #toeachtheirown

Old 08-07-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
I can see that. It's also a limited amount of public schools. Rutgers, TCNJ, NJIT, Montclair, Kean, there's a good number of community colleges that people leave after about 2 years as well, I imagine that has a lot to do with the outflow as well.

I can't imagine anyone choosing Rutgers because the team wins or loses, but then again, that was never one of my criteria at all. I know a lot of people who picked a school based on college football and I could never figure it out. #toeachtheirown
I have family going through the process now and FSU, Auburn, UF, etc are on there for no real reason that it's prob a cool place to be on Sat for tailgating and game time..and this family lives in one of the "top towns" in NJ.

IF NJ really expanded public offerings and supported Rutgers College in a way that pushed it up to compete as a tope tier public Ivy like UVA, UMich, etc I could see a lot more people staying, but it's tough b/c NJ families have more income to put towards college it seems so out of state is more of a possibility than in some other states where that's the only real choice. Also, Rutgers got expensive, so what's 20K to go to Rutgers vs 25K for U of Maryland when Maryland offers a much more traditional college experience.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:44 AM

677 posts, read 405,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
How about that, millenials fleeing a legacy of democrat control in NJ!

What a surprise.

Who do you think the next democrat gov will be next election? along with both houses, of course, democrat controlled.

No hope for Nj as legacy votes continue to discourage millenials and others from fleeing the sheep pen otherwise known as NJ.
Only an idiot would believe the party in control is responsible for this demographic trend.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:54 AM

287 posts, read 185,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Only an idiot would believe the party in control is responsible for this demographic trend.
Especially since if you were to ask a fleeing Millennial what political entities they might be fleeing from they're probably not going to list Corey Booker, but they might mention a beach-loving, bridge-closing, train-ruining guy that we all know and loathe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey