U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:17 PM

11,768 posts, read 13,672,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Who do you think the next democrat gov will be next election? along with both houses, of course, democrat controlled.

No hope for Nj as legacy votes continue to discourage millenials and others from fleeing the sheep pen otherwise known as NJ.
If we apply your reasoning on the national level, in light of GOP control of both houses of Congress plus The White House, millions of US citizens will soon be fleeing The US.

Hmmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 01:00 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,163,858 times
That's why they want to build the wall, to keep people in.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:04 PM

2,612 posts, read 894,534 times
also should point out, this article is a bit of folly, they leave as single adults or young couples then come back as young families.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:00 AM

931 posts, read 2,926,734 times
As a millennial who also plans on leaving New Jersey as soon as possible, I will give you MY perspective.

We live in Bergen County. Despite making decent money, my wife and I are saddled with student loan debt, which combined with the high cost of living here, makes saving up for a home in a GOOD area very difficult. Regardless, we don't want to be house poor and pay 500-600K for a split-level or cape cod. Our other option would be to buy a more affordable home in towns like Clifton or Elmwood Park, with less than stellar schools. No thanks. Traffic here makes it practically impossible to move further out away from our jobs without driving us nuts. We've also pushed back starting a family for the same reasons.

We both work in healthcare and have done our research. We would make the same or slightly less in more affordable states. Our family in NJ dwindles more and more every year, as they're moving on to greener pastures as well.

I love NJ. I was born and raised here. The convenience and proximity to everything is unparalleled. However, would you stay if you were us?

Old 08-09-2017, 01:32 AM

105 posts, read 23,999 times
I left NJ 10 years ago this past July. I lived in NJ my whole life before I left. I went to school up to college in NJ. Right after graduating college I left NJ a few months after for work and different lifestyle. The question I had to ask was if I wanted to take home enough money did it make sense to work in Manhattan knowing I was going to pay a bunch of tolls if I drove or pay to take the train into the city everyday. The answer was no. Because I knew then I wasn't going to make enough money if I didn't work in NYC and working for companies in NJ weren't going to pay a comparable amount. Commuting the way you do in NJ/NY area is an enormous drain on finances that ppl in other metro areas don't have to deal with. If you aren't slated to make enough at work and dealing with the time and money commuting to work it doesn't make sense to stay in the area.

If you include the money needed for tolls to go around the state and the property tax situation, the outlook is even bleaker. As much as I would like to move back and help out family, it doesn't make financial sense if I don't receive a decent employment package to deal with the issues I stated above. There are other cities/states/metro areas around the country far and near where you dollars stretch farther.

My 0.02

Old 08-09-2017, 07:00 AM

780 posts, read 336,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
As a millennial who also plans on leaving New Jersey as soon as possible, I will give you MY perspective.

We live in Bergen County. Despite making decent money, my wife and I are saddled with student loan debt, which combined with the high cost of living here, makes saving up for a home in a GOOD area very difficult. Regardless, we don't want to be house poor and pay 500-600K for a split-level or cape cod. Our other option would be to buy a more affordable home in towns like Clifton or Elmwood Park, with less than stellar schools. No thanks. Traffic here makes it practically impossible to move further out away from our jobs without driving us nuts. We've also pushed back starting a family for the same reasons.

We both work in healthcare and have done our research. We would make the same or slightly less in more affordable states. Our family in NJ dwindles more and more every year, as they're moving on to greener pastures as well.

I love NJ. I was born and raised here. The convenience and proximity to everything is unparalleled. However, would you stay if you were us?

Where are you moving to? Are you certain the schools there are better than Clifton or Elmwood Park?

Old 08-09-2017, 07:22 AM

736 posts, read 437,998 times
Quote:

I would because my career doesn't leave me many options outside of NYC metro or Silicon Valley.

Sounds like your expectation of living doesn't match what you can afford in NJ. You want a large modern home with yard and easy commute well ranked schools. That's simply not happening with an easy commute unless you really open up the wallet and buy into 7 figure homes along the gold coast.

Since your career allows the flexibility of moving anywhere then it sounds like you would be better off in a smaller city like Charlotte or Denver.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:29 AM

16,434 posts, read 11,320,551 times
NJ has some of the best jobs in the country and is one of the wealthiest states. For instance, you might not be able to find a job at all in some fields in a state like SC, or it would pay much less even adjusting for cost of living.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:39 AM
46H

552 posts, read 286,250 times
Quote:

You are being disingenuous. There are over 100 homes for sale between $400k-$500k on the Pascack Valley Line from River Edge to Montvale including capes and splits. These towns include some of the top school systems in Bergen County. There are at least 12 homes available in Ridgewood and 13 homes in Glen Rock and 5 homes in Ho Ho Kus in the $400k-$500k price range.

You clearly want a bigger house on bigger property. There is nothing wrong with that, but you can easily buy a house in a town with a great school system before you would need to look at Clifton or Elmwood Park for less than the $500-$600 range you mention.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:04 AM

931 posts, read 2,926,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Where are you moving to? Are you certain the schools there are better than Clifton or Elmwood Park?
We have extensively looked at the Atlanta and Dallas metro areas. There are plenty of affluent suburbs in these cities with excellent schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
You are being disingenuous. There are over 100 homes for sale between $400k-$500k on the Pascack Valley Line from River Edge to Montvale including capes and splits. These towns include some of the top school systems in Bergen County. There are at least 12 homes available in Ridgewood and 13 homes in Glen Rock and 5 homes in Ho Ho Kus in the $400k-$500k price range.

You clearly want a bigger house on bigger property. There is nothing wrong with that, but you can easily buy a house in a town with a great school system before you would need to look at Clifton or Elmwood Park for less than the $500-$600 range you mention.
Yes, I know homes in that price range exist, they're just not what we want. Let's not even mention the property taxes. If I am going to pay 1/2 million dollars for my house, it's going to be my dream home. Ideally, we would like to spend 300-350K max and be mortgage-free ASAP. I recently looked at these homes you mentioned in Ridgewood. Two are tiny cape cods that need renovation, in a flood zone....

Last edited by Busch Boy; 08-09-2017 at 09:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey