U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 08:32 PM

13 posts, read 44,715 times

Advertisements

I was going to bring up the old area code map too!

Though I slightly disagree with the Central Jersey doesn't exist theory. To my mind, Northern New Jersey (well, at least where I'm from: Bergen County) revolves around the city whereas Central Jersey doesn't seem to care. I'm willing to be told that I'm wrong but my family is equally divided between Bergen and Middlesex counties and that's how it seems to me at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 09:04 PM

12,710 posts, read 5,581,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Tinton Falls is Central NEW Jersey.

Much of this BS is from the stupid TV show.The Original idea came from a few years of hell in Belmar where the Mayor called the summer renters from "Staten Island" "guido's".Year round residents were up in arms.A couple of the "Guido's came up with the idea but Belmar wouldn't allow the TV shoot so Seaside agreed and now regrets it,nothing but bad press and trouble from that show.

There are no North New Jersey Beaches, that's why the saying is "down the shore"
We always thought of those as Northern beaches. It has nothing to do with a TV show. If you refer to Monmouth County or even Ocean County as South Jersey, people around here will be confused. No one from around here would do that. It's all North Jersey to us. Perhaps some people from the parts of South Jersey that are closer to North Jersey (e.g., Burlco) think of the Ocean County beaches as being in the same region. But we definitely don't down here in deep South Jersey.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:41 AM

8,962 posts, read 2,124,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
We always thought of those as Northern beaches. It has nothing to do with a TV show. If you refer to Monmouth County or even Ocean County as South Jersey, people around here will be confused. No one from around here would do that. It's all North Jersey to us. Perhaps some people from the parts of South Jersey that are closer to North Jersey (e.g., Burlco) think of the Ocean County beaches as being in the same region. But we definitely don't down here in deep South Jersey.
Monmouth county,Ocean county is "Central new jersey ",always has been.There are no "north New Jersey Beaches".

Old 08-08-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Monmouth county,Ocean county is "Central new jersey ",always has been.There are no "north New Jersey Beaches".
Well, like I said earlier, North Jersey people are at liberty to divide their region into Central and North Jersey. It's all the same to me, however - i.e., not South Jersey.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:08 AM

43,988 posts, read 44,126,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgy555 View Post
I was going to bring up the old area code map too!

Though I slightly disagree with the Central Jersey doesn't exist theory. To my mind, Northern New Jersey (well, at least where I'm from: Bergen County) revolves around the city whereas Central Jersey doesn't seem to care. I'm willing to be told that I'm wrong but my family is equally divided between Bergen and Middlesex counties and that's how it seems to me at least.
I think that may just be your family. I live in Monmouth County, and NYC is very much a part of this part of Central Jersey. I am writing this on my train to the city, and it is packed with people from Monmouth County. NYC is where the jobs are.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:58 AM

Monmouth County actually even technically borders New York City - Staten Island.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:07 AM

19,385 posts, read 18,519,913 times
Quote:
Well, like I said earlier, North Jersey people are at liberty to divide their region into Central and North Jersey. It's all the same to me, however - i.e., not South Jersey.
I'll give Monmouth to the Central and North Jersey crowd, but I've met people who live in Ocean County--family has for generations--and according to them, they live in South Jersey.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'll give Monmouth to the Central and North Jersey crowd, but I've met people who live in Ocean County--family has for generations--and according to them, they live in South Jersey.
I guess it depends on the part of the county. The Pine Barrens are more interconnected, and have their own sort of regional identity that's different from suburban South Jersey. Obviously that includes much of Ocean County. They probably feel closer to their fellow Pineys just across the county line in Burlington County

Old 08-08-2017, 12:31 PM

864 posts, read 1,031,022 times
Quote:
I guess it depends on the part of the county. The Pine Barrens are more interconnected, and have their own sort of regional identity that's different from suburban South Jersey. Obviously that includes much of Ocean County. They probably feel closer to their fellow Pineys just across the county line in Burlington County
This makes sense to me. Pine Barrens are kinda their own thing; and I'd happily concede that region to SJ. Just about everything south of 195 seems like military bases, nature preserves, and cranberry bogs, all of which I'd associate with SJ. Places closer to the Parkway or Rt. 9 like Tom's River and Lakewood might be more Central Jersey though. Part of the issue is that much of Ocean County was sparsely inhabited until recently, so not much of an identity developed, North/Central, or South.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:42 PM

8,962 posts, read 2,124,632 times
Here are the North, Central and South Jersey borders as determined by you (INTERACTIVE) | NJ.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Jersey

https://bestofnj.com/nj-regions-page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey