Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:45 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,645,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
One last thought, to me the beaches (shore) have always been North and South with LBI the transitional island

Growing up was at Ocean City and South (more Philly S Jersey influenced beaches)

I recently bought a place in Lake Como on the Belmar border which to me was always a N Jersey (NYC influenced) beach and it actually the closest beach drive time from Philly other than AC. Its still North Jersey to me but do see more and more PA/Philly folks there it seems

Also anything north of Bradley beach seems dramatically different from other beach towns to me

Your smack in "Central New Jersey".So you think Lake Como is close and a shorter drive from Philly than using the Atlantic City expressway from Philly to AC?

Drives that are shorter,that's all I am pointing out.

https://philly.curbed.com/maps/best-...laware-beaches

Last edited by G1..; 08-09-2017 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 03:52 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,426,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I definitely don't get a "South Jersey" feel anywhere in Mercer County. Especially the Princeton area. There is definitely a Central/North Jersey vibe in that area.

I feel like Monmouth is more of a transition zone. The northern and western parts (Holmdel, Marlboro, Freehold, etc.) are more like Central Jersey, but Howell, Wall and the towns along the coast have a South Jersey feel.

Ocean County is just full-blown South Jersey, LOL.
I think some parts of Mercer County are appreciably populated by Philadelphia sports fans. That's the biggest difference. Not the whole county - it leans NY, I suppose. But just by being on the western edge of the state, in the center, there's some spillover. Mercer County does border Bucks County, PA and Burlington County, NJ, after all.

But yeah, I'm not saying I consider Mercer County to be South Jersey. Definitely not. But it's more South Jerseyish than Monmouth County.

I'm personally familiar with Howell, and it is just not South Jersey to me. Neither is most of Ocean County.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:07 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
I don't care about sports affiliations or transplants, Lakewood and Toms River will never be North/Central Jersey, EVER. The county's name is OCEAN for crying out loud!

I guess we will start counting North Carolina as a northern state because of all the transplants moving there....
We seem to be the only two people who see it that way.

I about fell over the first time I heard a NY accent on LBI. The place was full of Pennsylvanians.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:37 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
And your point is? Somehow "Ocean" the word is synonymous with "South?" Please do explain.

Insinuating that the ocean means it's South, as if to saying people only travel directionally south to go to the shore, is a North Jersey-centric point of view and not a universal truth, not just in New Jersey but also in other states.

If you don't care about sports affiliations, what culture people who live there have come from and identify with, or commuting patterns, then what is your qualifier for whether it's North/Central/South?
Reminded me of an old friend from Kearny whose parents retired to Toms River. Later she moved to Ventnor City. She said the people at work laughed at her when she said she was going down the shore to see her parents.

I think, though, that the ocean is associated with the southern part of New Jersey if you truly live in the northern part of the state, and that's what the person meant.

It's like my confusion at moving to Monmouth from Bergen and wondering why my train was called the north Jersey Coast Line when I wasn't in north Jersey anymore.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:56 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
it's called respect.
respect for hairspray?

Old 08-09-2017, 10:34 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,014,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
And your point is? Somehow "Ocean" the word is synonymous with "South?" Please do explain.

Insinuating that the ocean means it's South, as if to saying people only travel directionally south to go to the shore, is a North Jersey-centric point of view and not a universal truth, not just in New Jersey but also in other states.

If you don't care about sports affiliations, what culture people who live there have come from and identify with, or commuting patterns, then what is your qualifier for whether it's North/Central/South?
Geography tells me that Ocean County is south! There is no universal truth about this entire thread anyway, so your point is moot. This topic is entirely subjective. In my eyes, Lakewood/Toms River/Brick will always be South Jersey. Is it fact? Not really. Do I have this view because I've lived in Passaic/Bergen County my entire life? Maybe so.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:55 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
Quote:
Geography tells me that Ocean County is south! There is no universal truth about this entire thread anyway, so your point is moot. This topic is entirely subjective. In my eyes, Lakewood/Toms River/Brick will always be South Jersey. Is it fact? Not really. Do I have this view because I've lived in Passaic/Bergen County my entire life? Maybe so.
Reality is New Jersey is divided into two parts, the part servicing New York and the part servicing Philadelphia

Old 08-09-2017, 11:06 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,014,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Reality is New Jersey is divided into two parts, the part servicing New York and the part servicing Philadelphia
I guess you're a Central Jersey atheist. That's fine, lol.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:27 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Your smack in "Central New Jersey".So you think Lake Como is close and a shorter drive from Philly than using the Atlantic City expressway from Philly to AC?

Drives that are shorter,that's all I am pointing out.

https://philly.curbed.com/maps/best-...laware-beaches

yes I said drive time (and factoring traffic) all except AC I find. 195 is better traffic wise then the AC expressway or the GSP. So most time I make to Belmar in about 70-75 minutes from Center City Philly

Avalon and south is generally over two hours with traffic, can be as short as 80 or so minutes if not going when there is traffic, but places like Belmar and Spring Lake are a pretty easy drive from Philly almost always

Old 08-11-2017, 01:18 PM

968 posts, read 1,139,456 times
Quote:
One last thought, to me the beaches (shore) have always been North and South with LBI the transitional island

Growing up was at Ocean City and South (more Philly S Jersey influenced beaches)

I recently bought a place in Lake Como on the Belmar border which to me was always a N Jersey (NYC influenced) beach and it actually the closest beach drive time from Philly other than AC. Its still North Jersey to me but do see more and more PA/Philly folks there it seems
Must be cruising up 95 through Trenton to 195 if that is the shortest drive out of Philly.

Quote:
Also anything north of Bradley beach seems dramatically different from other beach towns to me
Yes, that is where all the cliquey toothless inbred PWT or ghetto lifers reside. South of that you have all the inbred rich snobs. All equally as cliquey and unwelcoming toward outsiders they call "BENNYs". Although I think in the shore region at least Cape May and Atlantic Counties are vastly different from Monmouth and Ocean Counties in terms of the demographic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey