U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 01:32 PM

856 posts, read 1,007,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
yes I said drive time (and factoring traffic) all except AC I find. 195 is better traffic wise then the AC expressway or the GSP. So most time I make to Belmar in about 70-75 minutes from Center City Philly

Avalon and south is generally over two hours with traffic, can be as short as 80 or so minutes if not going when there is traffic, but places like Belmar and Spring Lake are a pretty easy drive from Philly almost always
I also found this to be the case when I lived in Collingswood. Faster to drive 295 to 195 to Belmar than getting to the AC expressway and then local roads to Brigantine. No tolls either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 01:33 PM

464 posts, read 228,378 times
Quote:
the southern parts of Mercer I do think have more connection (southward) though as someone who grew up in Bucks county PA not far from Trenton there does become a significant change a few miles into Mercer North

historically Mercer (up until the mid 90s was part of the Philly MSA) had more southern leaning but that is changing
Trenton may historically have more of a tie with Philly but in terms of the state government and what areas have the most influence makes it lean more toward the north than south these days. The city itself is still more like Camden than any urban area further north though.

Quote:
Hunterdon is a strange one too as some of the towns along the river will feel more connected to Bucks county while closer to Bridgewater it becomes NYC exurbs
Bridgewater is Somerset County, not Hunterdon. Hunterdon feels like an extension of NW Mercer - Hopewell area - or maybe Hopewell is an extension of Hunterdon. I have to admit I am not all that familiar with Hunterdon apart from the river towns like Lambertville, Stockton and Frenchtown. These places have the same quaintness as places like New Hope, so I guess more than anything I get a Bucks County/PA vibe in Hunterdon, though it all blends in driving up and down Rts 29 and 31 on the Jersey side.

Quote:
there is sort of grey band that runs south and east to the beaches in this band along the river then continuing SE to the shore
Might have something to do with the coastal plain in terms of the NJ physiographic provinces, though Hunterdon and Somerset are entirely within the Piedmont region while Mercer and Middlesex are split between with all areas further south and east entirely within the coastal.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:39 AM

8,453 posts, read 1,883,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Must be cruising up 95 through Trenton to 195 if that is the shortest drive out of Philly.

Yes, that is where all the cliquey toothless inbred PWT or ghetto lifers reside. South of that you have all the inbred rich snobs. All equally as cliquey and unwelcoming toward outsiders they call "BENNYs". Although I think in the shore region at least Cape May and Atlantic Counties are vastly different from Monmouth and Ocean Counties in terms of the demographic.

While your post is filled with many inaccuracies I will point out a big one,95 doesn't go through Trenton.

195 will take you from Trenton to Belmar.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:29 AM

464 posts, read 228,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
While your post is filled with many inaccuracies I will point out a big one,95 doesn't go through Trenton.
Well if you get technical yes, you have to get off to Rt 1 and the whole mess at 29 crossing into NJ.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Well if you get technical yes, you have to get off to Rt 1 and the whole mess at 29 crossing into NJ.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:01 PM

61 posts, read 15,676 times
North Jersey- Higher density suburbs, most urban, has wealthiest counties, most populated region of NJ part of NYC metro
Sussex, Warren, Passaic, Bergen, Morris, Essex, Hudson, & Union counties

Central- Suburban, pretty much in between both NNJ & SNJ in just about everything
Hunterdon, Somerset, Middlesex, Mercer, & Monmouth counties

South- Lower cost of living, Most Rural Part of NJ, has Jersey Shore, Lesser Populated region of NJ, Part of Philadelphia Metro
Ocean, Burlington, Cumberland, Salem, Camden, Gloucester, Atlantic, and Cape May counties

Old 08-12-2017, 05:50 PM

Pretty sure the people in Ocean County would disagree.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:45 PM

18,945 posts, read 18,044,826 times
Only some of them.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:59 PM

43,404 posts, read 43,310,759 times
It might be weird to other people, and I do have the Bergen County mentality of what is North Jersey as I outlined in an earlier post, but now that I am in Monmouth, I feel like this is the southernmost point of the NYC commuting area. I mean, it can take me two hours to get to my current job on lower Broadway, door to door, all steps included. I have known a few people to commute regularly from south of me, but not many.

I think Ocean is the line where the South Jersey part begins, at least on the eastern side of the state.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:44 PM

42 posts, read 54,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I definitely don't get a "South Jersey" feel anywhere in Mercer County. Especially the Princeton area. There is definitely a Central/North Jersey vibe in that area.

I feel like Monmouth is more of a transition zone. The northern and western parts (Holmdel, Marlboro, Freehold, etc.) are more like Central Jersey, but Howell, Wall and the towns along the coast have a South Jersey feel.

Ocean County is just full-blown South Jersey, LOL.
I'm from Hamilton Township, Mercer County, and IMO, this town definitely has more of a south Jersey vibe then a North Jersey....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey