Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 09:51 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Must be cruising up 95 through Trenton to 195 if that is the shortest drive out of Philly.

Yes, that is where all the cliquey toothless inbred PWT or ghetto lifers reside. South of that you have all the inbred rich snobs. All equally as cliquey and unwelcoming toward outsiders they call "BENNYs". Although I think in the shore region at least Cape May and Atlantic Counties are vastly different from Monmouth and Ocean Counties in terms of the demographic.

either 95 to route 1 to 195 or 95 to the Betsy to 295 to 195 depends on the traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 09:12 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,393 times
North Jersey--A third world country

Central Jersey--Identity confusion and long commutes to NYC and Philadelphia but some nice communities

South Jersey--The best part of New Jersey. Suburbs of Philadelphia with generally nicer people and cheaper real estate prices.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:08 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Oh, come on, there are some beautiful areas in Northern New Jersey.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:24 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,397,444 times
So what's the matter with using this map? Shows a clear geographic delineation, by county, of North/Central/South. I don't know how anybody could look at that and say Ocean County is part of Central Jersey....although OK, I admit I did see another similar map with Ocean County in Central. One problem is, Seaside Heights is in Ocean County and I always considered that a "North Jersey" beach.

All I know is, to me, North and South Jersey are like two different states. I remember Kathy Griffin was doing a show at the Borgata (Atlantic City, South Jersey) and dissing the Real Housewives of NJ....she prefaced it by apologizing ("I know they're your peeps") and we're all like, NOOO, they're not OUR peeps! Nor is that whole "Jersey Shore" (show) crowd!

For the record, having lived in that area my whole life, I don't know any locals who say they're from "South NEW Jersey".
Attached Thumbnails
What's the difference between North, Central and South Jersey?-new-jersey-regions-map-smaller-jpg  

Old 08-20-2017, 06:01 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
^ Well, to me... I don't know how anybody could think that Union County is in Central Jersey.

I live in what I consider to be northern NJ and I don't consider RHONJ OR Jersey Shore people to be "my peeps." Hell, a lot of these reality show "NJ" people aren't even originally from NJ.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:09 PM

237 posts, read 482,217 times
North Jersey is more urban, has the most NYC influence, and feels like an extension of NYC in some places. Even in suburban areas it tends to still have a bit of a "city" feel with rampant arts scenes and a lot of walkable, downtown-y type areas. Probably the most divided/segregated area of the state as well with extremely wealthy suburbs mixed with extremely poor cities.

Central Jersey is still generally dominated by NYC way of life but is a little less urban and a little more suburban and sprawl-y. While many people here still commute into NYC there is also a lot of industry stemming from the New Brunswick area so it's not the extension of NY that North Jersey sometimes feels like. It's also centrally smacked right in between NYC and the shore, so you get a little bit of influence from both of those cultural centers. It's a little less segregated than North Jersey in that I'd argue it has more solidly middle class suburbs than North Jersey does.

South Jersey in many ways feels very different than both North and Central Jersey which is probably why there's such a prevalent "Central Jersey doesn't exist" crowd - North and Central Jersey are a lot more alike than South Jersey is to either of them. South Jersey is dominated by the shore and Philadelphia and also has more rural and undeveloped land than other parts of NJ. There is pretty much no NYC influence here (except maybe at the shore).

In terms of geographic divide...I think everyone can generally agree that anything north of Union County is solidly North Jersey and anything south of Ocean County is solidly South Jersey. Anything in between is Central Jersey, but Union and Ocean are sort of "buffers" that have characteristics of both regions they border. It also gets a little hard to define in West Jersey because, frankly, West Jersey in places like Warren, Sussex and Hunterdon Counties is almost its own separate region.

Last edited by Rare727; 08-20-2017 at 09:29 PM..

Old 08-21-2017, 02:56 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,645,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
So what's the matter with using this map? Shows a clear geographic delineation, by county, of North/Central/South. I don't know how anybody could look at that and say Ocean County is part of Central Jersey....although OK, I admit I did see another similar map with Ocean County in Central. One problem is, Seaside Heights is in Ocean County and I always considered that a "North Jersey" beach.

All I know is, to me, North and South Jersey are like two different states. I remember Kathy Griffin was doing a show at the Borgata (Atlantic City, South Jersey) and dissing the Real Housewives of NJ....she prefaced it by apologizing ("I know they're your peeps") and we're all like, NOOO, they're not OUR peeps! Nor is that whole "Jersey Shore" (show) crowd!

For the record, having lived in that area my whole life, I don't know any locals who say they're from "South NEW Jersey".

Having lived in North New Jersey and Central New Jersey I agree that map is definitive.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:16 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,616 times
First off, NJ is frigging huge. There is south, north, central, and WEST NJ. See below for my proof.

Plus why is everyone looking at the wrong NJ map? This is the right NJ map...get it right people.

Anyway sarcasm aside, this was funny episode for its time during peak of jerze shore thing on media.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Jersey_Thing

Two short clips beyond annoying ad, but worth the wait for laugh in my opinion.

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/360401/the-jersey-problem
http://southpark.cc.com/clips/360410/no-jersey

Last edited by babo111; 08-21-2017 at 05:31 AM..

Old 08-21-2017, 05:39 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,645,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
First off, NJ is frigging huge. There is south, north, central, and WEST NJ. See below for my proof.

Plus why is everyone looking at the wrong NJ map? This is the right NJ map...get it right people.

You forgot to mention the President is Bruce Springsteen.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:38 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Oh, come on, there are some beautiful areas in Northern New Jersey.
True.
Northwest NJ has some beautiful locations. I stand corrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey