Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 11:54 AM

88,089 posts, read 83,946,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired58 View Post
If you look at Weather reports (channel 12) they do break up the state. My opinion is Tinton Falls is central
It depends on where you are. I grew up in Bergen County, lived there plus some time in Passaic County for the first 51 years of my life. I would have told you that Tinton Falls was in South Jersey, had I ever even HEARD of it.

Now I look out my back window and the house behind me is in Tinton Falls. I don't feel as if I am in South Jersey because to me, this is still within the commuting area of New York City. Thousands of NYC commuters live in this area. South Jersey to me NOW is where people are more connected to Philly than New York.

I think I'm in Central Jersey.

Used to be easier once. 201 was north Jersey, 609 was south Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 12:01 PM

324 posts, read 571,825 times
Read the other threads. You'll see hardly anyone agrees with what this person told you.

NJ Transit's North Jersey Coast Line runs all the way to Bay Head. There's a distinct difference in the Jersey Shore south of this point as it becomes all barrier islands with fewer year round residents.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyStrong1 View Post
Read the other threads. You'll see hardly anyone agrees with what this person told you.

NJ Transit's North Jersey Coast Line runs all the way to Bay Head. There's a distinct difference in the Jersey Shore south of this point as it becomes all barrier islands with fewer year round residents.
Good point. I was actually confused by the name "North Jersey Coast Line" when I moved down here and had to use that line. I thought 'That can't be right. This isn't North Jersey."

At least I wasn't as bad as a woman I know in Oakland who complained about having to go "all the way to South Jersey" for Thanksgiving every year at her brother's house. They lived in Edison.

I think North Jersey, like REALLY North Jersey, where I came from, maybe 10 miles south of the Rockland border, is insulated from the rest of the state. I catch my train in Little Silver. I never HEARD of that town before I started looking for a condo and checked out train stations. I never heard of New Providence and a lot of other towns people mention until I got onto City-Data. For a long time I scratched my head and thought, "That's a town in NEW JERSEY?"

But I do know how to get to Suffern and Nanuet and New City and Piermont and Chestnut Ridge, etc., all towns in Rockland County. We were more connected to them than to the towns down this way. My daughter took horseback riding lessons in Pearl River, about 20 minutes from where we lived. You wouldn't even know you had crossed into New York if you didn't know that Pearl River was in NY State. It was just a street with a lot of suburban houses on it, and the only way to tell you had left one town and gone to another was the sign saying you couldn't park on the street in Pearl River overnight. But one house was in Montvale, New Jersey, and their next door neighbor was in Pearl River, New York.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-03-2017 at 12:32 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Glaciers came down to the Watchung mountains, the sea came up from the south to the Raritan river.

Glaciers = north jersey

Sea = south jersey

land in between is central NJ

NE nj is densely populated and all that goes with that..... population defined by people who "want to be within an hour" of NYC...... rts 1, 9 parkway and turnpike connect jersey north to the rest on NJ

An improving newark has been the car jacking capital of the country.

NW and vertical central north J is divided from central NJ by rt 78 which serves as a demarcation of weather events to further sharpen the central/north j divide.

NW jersey, especially Sussex county is the target of NYC and NE J politicians to install light rail and destroy the rural character of that section of the state.

Central NJ, east less people on top of other people. within an hour of NYC but a well kept secret. 287, rt 22 are the main arteries

Central Nj is the republican stronghold. after an election where the repub candidate lost, people cannot find anyone who voted for the winning democrat.

Central NJ west, less dense population, more hunting territory,

South jersey, north...... Sayreville to forked River....growing at a cosmic rate

South J north east has two murder capitals in camden and trenton, trenton the taxpayer provided home of well kept legislators with incredible retirement benefits and health coverage, compliments of the taxpayers. Located for a quick escape to the west should the Nj electorate ever recover from a democrat induced coma and reality escape choice republicans.

South jersey, the real SJ, Forked river to cape May.... larest aquifer in the east saves SJ from development except along the shore.

New Gretna considers Forked River to be north jersey.

South J pols always feel left out.
I like the geographical references!

One of the first things I noticed when I moved from Bergen County to Monmouth and started going to hike in the county parks is that something seemed very different in the woods. I couldn't put my finger on it at first, and finally it dawned on me--down here there are no rocks in the soil. No rocks. In Bergen County, there are rocks everywhere. The ground is full of rocks, so much so that all through Bergen County there are stone walls and remnants of old stone walls from back in the days when the Dutch farmers were clearing the land to farm and took all those rocks and piled them into unmortared stone boundaries.

When you walk on trails through the wooded areas in Bergen and Passaic Counties, there are always rocks in the ground. Sometimes there are huge boulders. But down here in eastern Monmouth County, there is just dirt. No rocks.

It's the line where the glaciers ended and left the rocks they had pushed.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:59 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,896,101 times
I'm still baffled that people think Union County is in central NJ. I know not everyone does, but I personally can't believe some do. Half of Newark Airport is in Elizabeth. It's not a large enough county IMO to call some of it north and some central. I live here and consider it north.

For whatever that's worth. Haha.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:17 PM

12,101 posts, read 16,997,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
There are HUGE difference between the different regions of NJ.

North Jersey is very diverse in terms of demographics. South Jersey is predominantly white aside from the urban centers of Camden, Vineland, and AC.

North Jersey is very densely populated (with the exception of Sussex county). South Jersey is predominantly rural, particularly along the route 206 corridor between Bordentown and Hammonton. Driving along this stretch of road makes you feel like you are in Indiana or some rural midwestern area.

North Jersey is generally much more wealthy and has a better economy than South Jersey (much more unemployment South).

North Jersey has more to offer in terms of culture and entertainment, nightlife, etc.

Those are just a few things that come to mind. Central NJ is where the 2 kind of blend together. Central NJ is where you'll find the "cookie cutter" neighborhoods, strip malls, etc. Typical suburbia, equivalent to what you find outside of most major cities.
Having grown up in definitive Northern NJ, and having lived in Jersey City, and the city for many years, I always thought anything south of Union County was either bland, white trash or redneck.

But now I live in Middlesex County and there are days I slightly prefer it. The diversity is just as good here, and the traffic is a generally less. It's further from NYC yes, but I don't like what NYC has become and most of my friends moved from there.

Philly is also becoming a really cool place. It's almost what Brooklyn/Queens used to be. That said, South Jersey has a ways to go, lol.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:52 PM

32,778 posts, read 36,022,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I like the geographical references!

One of the first things I noticed when I moved from Bergen County to Monmouth and started going to hike in the county parks is that something seemed very different in the woods. I couldn't put my finger on it at first, and finally it dawned on me--down here there are no rocks in the soil. No rocks. In Bergen County, there are rocks everywhere. The ground is full of rocks, so much so that all through Bergen County there are stone walls and remnants of old stone walls from back in the days when the Dutch farmers were clearing the land to farm and took all those rocks and piled them into unmortared stone boundaries.

When you walk on trails through the wooded areas in Bergen and Passaic Counties, there are always rocks in the ground. Sometimes there are huge boulders. But down here in eastern Monmouth County, there is just dirt. No rocks.

It's the line where the glaciers ended and left the rocks they had pushed.
It's really all about rocks. I used to wander around in the woods looking for geocaches and letterboxes. You knew that if you were in South Jersey and the clues indicated that the box was under a rock that it had been carried in.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:33 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,092,370 times
Someone once told me that Wayne is in Central NJ. Now that is just plain ridiculous. Unless maybe they meant their buddy Wayne..

Old 08-03-2017, 06:46 PM

882 posts, read 1,662,075 times
I'm personally a harldliner on the Central Jersey issue. Give me good old East Jersey and West Jersey, as in colonial times.
NJ has always been defined by its orientations towards the large cities it borders. If you commute to NYC, or you get NYC media, you're in North, if you you commute to Philly or get the Philly news on TV, you're in South. Mercer is murky since I believe they come under both cities' broadcast spheres and feature commuters to both locales. I live in Ocean County now after living in Camden for several years. Ocean is decidedly not South, as there doesn't seem to be much Philly influence and most of the traffic goes up to New York not west to PA. I'd say what most call Central Jersey is really "lower North Jersey," basically the same media and work patterns as North, but generally flatter, more spread out, and newer construction in many areas. If there is a Central Jersey, where is it's hub? Is it New Brunswick? Is it Trenton? Princeton? I've had students from northern Hunterdon County that consider themselves Central Jersey. I know folks from Toms River that consider themselves Central Jersey. I just don't see how those two places could be considered part of the same region. Maybe it's better to go by the state tourism map; I believe they divide NJ into Highlands, Gateway, Shore, and Delaware Valley regions.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:41 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,473,596 times
Yes, that's the only question you need

Do you get Philly sports or NYC sports? Discussion done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey