U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 08:29 AM

14 posts, read 11,484 times

Advertisements

Tough choice haha.

Just want to see what service others were using. Which would you choose and why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 08:41 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,896,740 times
The cheapest. And then when the costs went up at the end of the deal I'd switch and become another new customer of the other one.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:44 AM

4,867 posts, read 10,539,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
The cheapest.
No. You know what they say...buy cheap get cheap. When I had Comcast they were absolutely terrible. My internet would randomly drop out multiple times per day every day. I never had that problem in 8 years with FiOS. I pay for quality and reliability.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:46 AM

I've seen the same level of quality from any of our local providers. Why you decide to pay twice as much for the same service is up to you.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:48 AM

14 posts, read 11,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
No. You know what they say...buy cheap get cheap. When I had Comcast they were absolutely terrible. My internet would randomly drop out multiple times per day every day. I never had that problem in 8 years with FiOS. I pay for quality and reliability.
The bad thing about the internet is there are mixed reviews for every single company out there but a lot of the tech sites are pushing Verizon and giving them great reviews.

Was never a fan of the big conglomerates but there are certainly pros to going with the big guys along with tons of cons.

If anyone else has experience with FIOS, would love to hear about it.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:01 AM

We're using it now, I think it's similar to other services if you match speeds. We only use the internet, not TV or phone so I can't speak to that. But it's fine.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:10 AM

351 posts, read 375,378 times
I think the Comcast X1 is way better than FIOS for watching TV. It is faster and better at setting searches/favorites. However, the Internet is not as good. In the past they would limit your traffic per month and the speeds were not as fast.

So there is no best, you have to choose if you want better TV or if you unlimited Internet traffic.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:39 AM

19,004 posts, read 12,142,790 times
FiOS is better tech but Verizon has more throttling in place than Comcast. In terms of speed, Verizon I'd quicker but not much faster than Comcast because of the throttling. Comcast used to throttle heavily but not anymore.

Just never sign for a contract. Always tell them you would leave when rates go up.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:27 AM

4,867 posts, read 10,539,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
I've seen the same level of quality from any of our local providers. Why you decide to pay twice as much for the same service is up to you.
I'm telling you my personal experience. Comcast internet is terrible in my area. So I pay more to have the reliability of FiOS. You can't just consider which is faster and cheaper. Reliability is most important in my opinion. I work from home. So constant internet dropouts is not an option for me.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:23 PM

855 posts, read 623,035 times
FIOS!!!! I always wanted FIOS and when I moved, I finally had it as an option. It did not disappoint. Internet speeds were always fast and more importantly, reliable. The up/down speeds were consistent and I know what to expect. As someone who works from home and copy large files across a VPN, it's important. FIOS also does NOT have a data cap.

With that said, the FIOS price kept going up and up and up over the last few years. Comcast kept trying to get people to switch and so I caved. I signed up with Comcast with an introductory price and no contract. I lasted 8 months before I gave in and went back to FIOS...and got a new introductory price again. Comcast speeds just were not consistent and I felt it. I don't know if Comcast is enforcing a data cap today in NJ but they are in some places of the country where there's no competition. They weren't enforcing it and weren't charging extra when I switched but they did have a warning when you exceeded it. It was 300GB/month which is laughable. I think they've increased it in the last year or 2 but still, caps shouldn't exist and FIOS doesn't have them.

Go with FIOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: