U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2017, 01:16 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,012,989 times

Advertisements

Really having trouble finding this info. I know DMV talks about $60 for a title transfer ($85 if there is a lean), but are you really transferring the title on the new car?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 03:33 PM

5,590 posts, read 14,364,430 times
You need to define what you are wanting to do.
You transfer title when you sell the car or change ownership, I'd want to know about taxes, as in Sales Taxes also.
Usually if you already bought the car elsewhere you get credit for what taxes you already paid, and I THINK you might have to pay any difference in tax. Just my general understanding, not my usual biz.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:25 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,168,074 times
When you purchase a new car from a dealer, the dealer takes the manufacturers "Certificate or Origin" to Motor Vehicle where it is then "titled". One of the reasons this is done is because the selling dealer may not have been the one to take original delivery from the factory. On the back of the certificate is information for dealer swaps.
There is a charge from MV for the title. What you really have to watch for is the "document fees" the dealer puts on the deal. This is sometimes $200-$300 dollars, plus the charges from motor vehicles. This fee is just so the dealer makes an extra couple hundred dollars on the deal. They will try to explain that the charge is for paperwork and for someone to run to Motor Vehicle but the runner is probably taking a bunch with them and the paperwork isn't really that extensive.
Everyone seems to tack on nickel and dime charges, buy a new tire, pay a "disposal fee" for the old one, get your oil changed pay a "disposal fee". (plus maybe a charge for "shop supplies") The best one I remember was the vet that wanted a stool sample from my dog, then charged me to dispose of it.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
You need to define what you are wanting to do.
You transfer title when you sell the car or change ownership, I'd want to know about taxes, as in Sales Taxes also.
Usually if you already bought the car elsewhere you get credit for what taxes you already paid, and I THINK you might have to pay any difference in tax. Just my general understanding, not my usual biz.
So what you are saying is that you didn't read the question

Old 08-08-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
When you purchase a new car from a dealer, the dealer takes the manufacturers "Certificate or Origin" to Motor Vehicle where it is then "titled". One of the reasons this is done is because the selling dealer may not have been the one to take original delivery from the factory. On the back of the certificate is information for dealer swaps.
There is a charge from MV for the title. What you really have to watch for is the "document fees" the dealer puts on the deal. This is sometimes $200-$300 dollars, plus the charges from motor vehicles. This fee is just so the dealer makes an extra couple hundred dollars on the deal. They will try to explain that the charge is for paperwork and for someone to run to Motor Vehicle but the runner is probably taking a bunch with them and the paperwork isn't really that extensive.
Everyone seems to tack on nickel and dime charges, buy a new tire, pay a "disposal fee" for the old one, get your oil changed pay a "disposal fee". (plus maybe a charge for "shop supplies") The best one I remember was the vet that wanted a stool sample from my dog, then charged me to dispose of it.
but is going from "Certificate or Origin" to title considered a title transfer at the fees I mentioned above.

Yea, all of the other stuff is a pain, but you just get an out the door price, that includes all of that. I really do not care if they call the price doc fee or just add to the price of the car, at the OTD price, it doesn't matter. What gets me is when they do + TTL where Tax is obvious (well close, since they sometimes charge tax on things they are not suppose to) and registration is pretty straight forward ($84+$84+$71.50+$71.50=$311, since you have to do 4 years, and a 2 year old car is cheaper). Just not sure about the $85 for a title transfer for a car with a loan.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:04 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,168,074 times
Is this the dealer that's listing it as a title transfer fee?

There is a charge, motor vehicle doesn't do anything for free, maybe the dealer is calling it the wrong thing? k;l

Old 08-08-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
Is this the dealer that's listing it as a title transfer fee?

There is a charge, motor vehicle doesn't do anything for free, maybe the dealer is calling it the wrong thing? k;l

More of a general question. You get a quote, and when you work out the difference between OTD+TTL and OTD total, and remove the tax part, the TL can have a big range. Just want to know what they are trying to sneak by and I will judge them accordingly. Like I said earlier, you are stuck with the $311 for registration and the $7.50 for tires, and I am willing to give them a few dollars to save me the trouble, but just want to know how much that is. Just want a piece of mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: