U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 02:14 PM

3 posts, read 428 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I wanted to gather some feedback for a move I have planned from NYC (Astoria) to Northern NJ. I currently live in a large 1 BR apartment with my wife and 10-month-old. We've made do by converting our eat-in-kitchen alcove into a nursery for the first year but now that he is mobile we must move and get more space. My wife and I are both from the suburbs (Long Island originally) and are looking to kill two birds with one stone: get more space for our money and move from a decisively urban environment to a decisively suburban environment--which is what we want at this stage of our lives. Our lease is up November 1, so ideally our lease would start Oct 15 - Oct 25.

I commute to WTC (PATH goes straight into my building) and my wife commutes to Bryant Park so NJ is the most sensible place to commute from. We will have 1 car when we move.

Budget: Up to $2400/month (adjusted for broker fees or W/D purchases)

Need:

1. Safe, family-friendly neighborhood
2. <1 hr commute to midtown and downtown
3. 2-3 bedroom, 1+ bathroom; >1000 sqf
4. In-unit W/D OR W/D hookups
5. Good daycare options nearby

Want:

1. Suburban
2. Driveway or on-street parking
3. Two-family home
4. Walking distance to station OR some reasonable way to park at station
5. Parks

Not Necessary:

1. Good school district (our child will not be in school)
2. Downtown area

If I'm paying a broker fee, I want to amortize that over the cost of a 1-year lease. Is it 1-month in NNJ? That's what I've been seeing. And for W/D hookups, I'm fine, and in some cases, prefer paying for a W/D assuming the lease is on the cheaper end.

After doing research on NJ for several months, this is my shortlist of towns that I've come up with:

1. Rutherford
2. Lyndhurst
3. East Rutherford
4. Bloomfield

The ideal seems to be Rutherford for us and that is where I've focused my attention but the other 3 seem fine too. I'm encouraged that, so far using the various online tools, it seems like I can get what I want in the Rutherford area for like $1850-$1900 in a 2-family home and I'd love to save money to pay for extra furniture. If I can get a rental in the $1900 range instead of $2300, that combined with the daycare savings would give me a nice chunk of change to buy new furniture.

Please let me know what you think! While I try to avoid brokers, if it becomes inevitable, I'd also like to know if anyone has a personal recommendation for one that may specialize in residential rentals in these areas.

Thanks,
Chad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 03:29 PM

715 posts, read 296,851 times
If you can find what you're looking for in your budget in Rutherford, then go for it. That is the best town of the 4 you listed above. You can take a train from Rutherford to Hoboken and then to WTC. Your wife would probably be better off taking a train to Port Authority and walking to Bryant Park.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:07 PM

43,192 posts, read 42,449,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
If you can find what you're looking for in your budget in Rutherford, then go for it. That is the best town of the 4 you listed above. You can take a train from Rutherford to Hoboken and then to WTC. Your wife would probably be better off taking a train to Port Authority and walking to Bryant Park.
Bus.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:26 PM

3 posts, read 428 times
Yeah we're cool with trying out the bus and using the train, for my wife, as a backup if Lincoln Tunnel is fubar.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:12 PM

715 posts, read 296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Bus.
Oops. Yes, I meant bus. This is how my entire day has gone. Should have stayed home.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:10 AM

43,192 posts, read 42,449,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Oops. Yes, I meant bus. This is how my entire day has gone. Should have stayed home.
Ah yes, I've had those days!

Old 08-08-2017, 09:36 AM

5,772 posts, read 9,247,456 times
They're all nice towns.

None of them have what I would consider a downtown, but all nice places.

If you are considering Bloomfield, then you might want to consider Montclair, which does have a true downtown, though I suspect you thought it was too pricey.

If I were choosing amongst those places, I'd pick Bloomfield, only because the traffic is more manageable in that area.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:05 AM

467 posts, read 185,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
They're all nice towns.

None of them have what I would consider a downtown, but all nice places.

If you are considering Bloomfield, then you might want to consider Montclair, which does have a true downtown, though I suspect you thought it was too pricey.

If I were choosing amongst those places, I'd pick Bloomfield, only because the traffic is more manageable in that area.
Rutherford has a downtown called Park Avenue, from Lincoln Park to the Train station is a downtown lined with stores, restaurant's, what is missing?

Old 08-09-2017, 07:37 AM

274 posts, read 441,281 times
Didn't he say he doesn't need downtown?

Old 08-09-2017, 09:56 AM

902 posts, read 2,891,321 times
I think you already have a few good selections. I would also add Wood-Ridge and Clifton to the list. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey